[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 5800H CPU on a new laptop not performing at full potential when HWinfo says it can reach those clocks speeds.

Oct 30, 2020
Hi,

I watched a review of the exact same laptop (Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H) where the reviewer was playing Call of Duty Warzone (which is CPU intensive and I'm guessing is multicore) at 4100MHz when using an external 144hz monitor (which I am also using). However when I play the game, I am capped at 4000Mhz with temps not exceeding 82°, which I believe isn't enough to trigger thermal throttling. It's summer here and it gets as high as ~42° mid-day but I'm in a room with an Air Conditioner on and set at ~25°. Besides, the laptop is placed on a not-so-bad cooling pad.

I used the same power plan as the reviewer, which is High Performance. And it's even the same results for Balanced - Best Performance power plan.

HWinfo clearly says that my CPU can reach 4.400Ghz clock speeds, so it can perform like it's supposed to. So I'm guessing this is Windows or BIOS related, however I can't find anything related to this in the BIOS. I can't even overclock the CPU nor is there a feature to underclock it which is enabled.

Can someone tell me why I'm capped at 4.00Ghz when playing this game and any other game?

I also did a Cinebench benchmark for single core and multicore, with clock speeds topping ~4.2ghz and ~3.7ghz respectively.

HWinfo:
MuE3MJj.png

This is the video of the review:

Solution
If you look at his video the CPU maxes @ 3850mhz not 4400 mhz.
Also the video card is highly overclocked. Running @ 1972 mhz instead of default boost of 1425 mhz and 1080p low detail settings.
Youtube videos are always posted here but most are rigged to fool users like you.
The gpu does most of the work when playing games. What percentage is your gpu running at when gaming.? You can try changing the windows power setting to high performance to see if it bumps up the cpu performance. Do you have control over your cpu/case fans? If you do turn thoseup to a higher rate when gaming. See where your cooling vents are and make sure they have space to work. If they are on the bottom try and keep the laptop an inch or two off the surface.

Oct 30, 2020
The gpu does most of the work when playing games. What percentage is your gpu running at when gaming.? You can try changing the windows power setting to high performance to see if it bumps up the cpu performance. Do you have control over your cpu/case fans? If you do turn thoseup to a higher rate when gaming. See where your cooling vents are and make sure they have space to work. If they are on the bottom try and keep the laptop an inch or two off the surface.
With all due respect my friend but apparently you didn't read the post because I already addressed all points you mentioned:
  • My laptop is on a cooling pad which itself is lifted up.
  • The game is known as a very CPU intensive game. Regardless it does use GPU as well and I know most games are GPU intensive (obviously), it's just that this one is poorly optimized. Like VERY poorly optimized! (F*ck Activision) So the CPU has a huge impact on the FPS.
  • My GPU is performing as it should be.
  • My GPU has nothing to do with my CPU clocks from what I know. So it can't be the reason why my clocks are lower than the reviewer's. Besides the GPU doesn't get hotter than 70°C.
  • I can't control my fans nor my CPU clocks according to Legion & AMD's software.
  • I have already tried high performance and balanced (best performance) modes, in vain.

All CPUs, even within the same family, are slightly different and will give slightly different performance. To exactly match someone else you'd have to literally mirror their system which is impossible...not to mention your room is probably not the same temp as the reviewers.

Also the CPU max speed of 4400 is not an all core load...that's the boost clock the cpu will reach on one core when everything is cool and running perfect. Intel CPUs are the same way...boost is not for all cores on the chip.

Go to this link and read the pop up window at the blue asterisk next to Max Boost Clock under Specifications. https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-5800h

Also the video card is highly overclocked. Running @ 1972 mhz instead of default boost of 1425 mhz and 1080p low detail settings.
Youtube videos are always posted here but most are rigged to fool users like you.

Solution
Oct 30, 2020
At 3:53 with an external monitor it's at 4100Mhz. I don't know why at the beginning of the video it was showing 3850.

BhMojIN.jpeg