[SOLVED] amd ryzen 7 5800x 3.8ghz instead of 4.8ghz

Elliott6025

Reputable
Apr 16, 2019
hello, i have been having problems with my new ryzen 7 5800x, i know its a cpu with heat issues. I've been checking but basically while gaming with a msi 3080 gaming x trio on games such as squad, and especially days gone getting hot at 1440p max settings my cpu was boosting to 4825mhz and getting hot! 75-80c, i was messing around with cpu fan speeds in the BIOS trying to get temps lower and i must have turned something off because now its only staying a 3800mhz constantly but only at a max of 45c now,. I am confused as now my performance is actually way better with a lower speed, literally like 30+ fps increase in squad , surely a cpu runs better frames at a higher clock speed? also how do i get this cpu to boost back up to 4.8 again? i don't know how i turned it off but i haven't overclocked anything it says on the website it can boost up to 4.9ghz.

so basically what i am asking is:

is this cpu or cpu's in general better at lower clock speeds or higher?
how do i turn on the boost again if i wish for it to go back to 4800mhz instead of 3.8mhz?

thanks
Elliott

Solution
Not knowing exactly what you have and haven't 'fiddled' with, I'd say just return the bios to factory default settings and reapply your xmp.

Then I'd look into using CoreTuner2 at guru3d.com. It's a little complex, but basically you can have it lower the VID so the cpu can streamline voltage use, which decreases temps but still allows higher clocks. It has instructions that need to be followed, easy enough to do.

It's not for overclocking as such, more like undervolting to allow for higher boost. It dropped 20°C from my 3700x, and boosted the all core to 4.28GHz from 3.7GHz, allows multiple cores to hit cpu max of 4.4GHz, and dropped voltages from 1.408v to 1.232v.

Setup to run auto at boot, below 18% load is stock (doesn't mess...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not knowing exactly what you have and haven't 'fiddled' with, I'd say just return the bios to factory default settings and reapply your xmp.

Then I'd look into using CoreTuner2 at guru3d.com. It's a little complex, but basically you can have it lower the VID so the cpu can streamline voltage use, which decreases temps but still allows higher clocks. It has instructions that need to be followed, easy enough to do.

It's not for overclocking as such, more like undervolting to allow for higher boost. It dropped 20°C from my 3700x, and boosted the all core to 4.28GHz from 3.7GHz, allows multiple cores to hit cpu max of 4.4GHz, and dropped voltages from 1.408v to 1.232v.

Setup to run auto at boot, below 18% load is stock (doesn't mess with idle settings) 19-60% is multi core performance, 61%+ is all core performance. So my games run at 4.4GHz almost totally, or at a minimum of 4.28GHz and rarely see 62°C.

Solution

Elliott6025

Reputable
Apr 16, 2019

Setup to run auto at boot, below 18% load is stock (doesn't mess with idle settings) 19-60% is multi core performance, 61%+ is all core performance. So my games run at 4.4GHz almost totally, or at a minimum of 4.28GHz and rarely see 62°C.

thank you for the reply! I will look into this and see if I can do it, I dont really like playing around woth important things that much as I’m not 100% with what I’m doing, but I found the problem why it wasn’t boosting, I AMD’s game boost mode on auto instead of enabled, that is now boosting and also increased my pump, and case fan speeds a little so now I’m able to run 4825mhz at 1.4v with a 68-74°c temp. Are those temps safe for a 5800?