[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 60C Temps at Idle

Sprysea

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015
Hello,

I've just bought a new CPU and MB.
I'm using the newest version of the H60 that I could find.

However after installing windows I've found that the idle temps are 60C and doing something as simple as downloading and installing drivers from Nvidia raises the temps to 80C.
This isn't normal, at least not from previous experience with Ryzen.

I've done the following:

Re-socketed the CPU and cooler - No plastic or anything underneath it. It sits well and I'd say it's properly screwed in.
I've updated all the drivers I could find for the MB.

Set all fans and pumps to PWM mode in the BIOS. Yet this doesn't change the temp much. I was able to get it down to 48C by running the fan at max speed for a while.

Anyone have any ideas for what to do here?

Specs:
MB:MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHz 16GB

Last edited:
Solution
D
120mm AIO on a chip that basically requires 280mm or higher. That cooler you have is worse than a $40 tower air cooler.

Ryzen idles higher traditionally, but 60C is too much for idle. What programs do you have running in the background?
D

Deleted member 2720853

120mm AIO on a chip that basically requires 280mm or higher. That cooler you have is worse than a $40 tower air cooler.

Ryzen idles higher traditionally, but 60C is too much for idle. What programs do you have running in the background?

Solution

Sprysea

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have much, just a freshly installed windows from .iso that's downloaded from Microsoft.com

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
5800x shouldn't be any issue whatsoever at idle with any cooler. Even simple loads shouldn't be a problem staying under 80°C.

At a guess I'd say that you installed the H60 as Corsair directed, put the pump on the cpu_fan header and the fan on a sys_fan header. Which is fine except for one thing. The sys_fan header is tied to the motherboard sensors, which barely ever move much, they register case temps. So the sensor is reporting @ 40ish°C, so the fan barely has to spin.

Some motherboard bios and (software like Asus FanXpert) have the ability to change where the header gets its sensor readings from. Need to put that sys_fan header on Cpu Temp, not case temp.

Or swap the connections, put fan on cpu_fan header and pump on sys_fan or pump header.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

Sprysea

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

I Tightened the cooler and the temps got a little better. I'm getting a 280mm cooler now, hopefully it'll resolve the issue completely.

Thank you! :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those coolit pump mounts shouldn't require tightening at all. That's what's nice about them, you can't overtighten them as the thumb nuts should bottom out on the spacers. Once the screw nuts bottom out, further tightening is just stripping things out somewhere.

You honestly cannot over-cool a cpu, no such thing as a cooler too big for the job. All that means is fan curves can be turned way down to silent (if they are decent fans) and even the heaviest loads will never require max rpm.

A cooler that's too small is just a noise maker with thermal limits and physical limits the cpu can overcome.

A 280mm is a really good move.

Last edited: