News AMD Ryzen 7 5800X vs Intel Core i7-11700K: The Eight-Core Faceoff

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Well no, x470 works just as well and generally costs similar to a B550 MB, I guess that's just another advantage AMD has over Intel where you can choose a different chipset and get virtually the same experience. Meanwhile for Intel's B560 MB, many border on false marketing considering how poorly they handle these 125watt processor that draw up to 250watt. In boost conditions.

So which is it? Do you know or not? You claim you don't know what I am talking about when talking about the performance regression with Intel's 11700k but in the next sentence you know exactly what I am talking about. Performance regression is not a good thing but that's what Intel is giving us.

Virtually every single threaded result is better when stock verses overclocked. It's just now with Intel's platform you have you have to switch to get the best performance, with AMDs chip, you don't, it's always better.
Who overclocks for single threaded only? There is only one scenario (single threaded) that results in lower performance. You flatly refuses to acknowledge all the multi threaded and gaming benchmarks.

jgraham11

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I mean, the chipset uses PCIe 4. So? You need extra cash to use the X570 motherboard which puts the 5800X and motherboard much more than the 11700K and a Z590 in terms of cost. If you're a normal user who just have one PCIe 4 drive and GPU, then the B550's PCIe configuration is basically the same with the i7.

About overclocking, I have no idea where you got "overclocking results in lower performance". If you mean single threaded and single threaded only, you are correct. For multi threaded and gaming, overclocking the i7 gains more performance.
Your value angle is already over (2 days later), AMD 5800x is now $399, putting a better system that draws less power, produces less heat, runs within specifications and is now cheaper than Intel's platform you need to run the 11700k.

Tom's has already removed this rubbish comparison from its front page. I think they are getting tired of being called Intel shills. This article is just another reason.

Your value angle is already over (2 days later), AMD 5800x is now $399, putting a better system that draws less power, produces less heat, runs within specifications and is now cheaper than Intel's platform you need to run the 11700k.

Tom's has already removed this rubbish comparison from its front page. I think they are getting tired of being called Intel shills. This article is just another reason.
You can run the 11700k at much lower heat and power than what reviews show you, power limits off increase power by ~30% on average for no increase in performance..
If you can get into bios to do all the settings you need to to make ryzen run trouble-free then you can also put PL1 PL2 and TAU to the correct settings.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ght-core-faceoff.3708043/page-2#post-22353305
Average Power (Watts)Peak Power (Watts)
Power Limits Enforced119W188W
Power Limits Unlocked150W261W
5.0 GHz All-Core Overclock223W283W

The multi-threaded series of tests runs the Corona ray-tracing benchmark, several HandBrake runs, POV-Ray, Cinebench R20, and four different Blender renders.

Things are a bit more interesting in the multi-threaded tests. We don't see much of a performance improvement from lifting the power limits — the tests, which consist of a fixed unit of work, finish in roughly the same amount of time — but as you can see in the table above, we do see a big increase in power consumption. Keep in mind that increase in power yields less than 1% more performance, at least with our motherboard. That's a terrible tradeoff.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021

Oh really? On Amazon the 11700K is $360 lol. Also you're just being stubborn about the "front page", you know perfectly well they cycle articles so new ones are in front and old ones (like this) gets removed no matter what people like you say about their articles. The same applies to everything they published.

guru7of9

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
I hadn't heard about a RAM issue with Ryzens. What are people experiencing? It was completely normal with a 5600x and Crucial Ballistix for me.

Thanks.
I have a RYZEN 5600x running gskill f4-3600C16D - GVK 16 16 16 36 AT CR1 AT 3800mhz at 1.4V. all 1:1:1 Runs perfect on MSI x570 tomahawk .
I even bought 2 kits and there is a bit of a gap in build number by about 2 months but I run 4 sticks and its flawless !
RAM problems if you do your homework you never have problems!

Mar 6, 2022
these processors are so close it basically goes down to personal preference, whether you like Intel or AMD. The competition is excellent though.
Performance wise, gaming, rendering, workstation use, ..., they are basically the same, except when it comes to power usage.
"...AMD wins this round easily with lower power consumption, higher efficiency, and less thermal output..."
I personally prefer frying eggs on a stove, and not on an Intel CPU.