Question AMD Ryzen 7 5850u pro vs 5825u, whats better?

Lutfij

Titan
The latter processor has support for Windows 11, while the one prior doesn't. They are practically identical in specs, outside of OS support and a 100MHz bump in clock speeds. The latter processor also has a 10 Deg C lower operating temperature.

What sort of tasks will you be taxing the processor with?

fohaje3070

Prominent
Jun 13, 2021
Windows 11, works on both
i have read 5825u only support 2 channel , but iam not sure what that mean

can u explain me is this better: 10 Deg C lower operating temperature

...AMD Ryzen 7 5850u pro...
A PRO processor is intended for operation within a managed computing network, as for a business. It can also limit it's suitability somewhat for typical home and school useage since security is it's primary concern.

I suspect by "2 channel" it means dual channel memory which is the same as any other laptop or desktop processor.

10 deg higher temp for the 5850u: higher max operating temp or Tjmax. A somewhat cynical guess says AMD doesn't figure these things will be operated by a business longer than a typical 3-5year replacement cycle and this reduces maintenance for their IT staff to clean dust out of clogged cooling vents. You (as a private owner) don't want to be operating at that. They both have a 15W TDP, that will govern performance potential in a laptop more than anything else.

Last edited:

fohaje3070

Prominent
Jun 13, 2021
A PRO processor is intended for operation within a managed computing network, as for a business. It can also limit it's suitability somewhat for typical home and school useage since security is it's primary concern.

I suspect by "2 channel" it means dual channel memory which is the same as any other laptop or desktop processor.

10 deg higher temp for the 5850u: higher max operating temp or Tjmax. A somewhat cynical guess says AMD doesn't figure these things will be operated by a business longer than a typical 3-5year replacement cycle and this reduces maintenance for their IT staff to clean dust out of clogged cooling vents. You (as a private owner) don't want to be operating at that. They both have a 15W TDP, that will govern performance potential in a laptop more than anything else.

thx for your info
you think 5825u is better?

thx for your info
you think 5825u is better?
For my personal use I think I'd prefer a 5825u. Mainly on the principle that I'm not a business user and have no desire to try and engage in managing the thing remotely from my desktop.

But...a laptop with a 5850u PRO may have other advantages like being built in an aluminum or magnesium case. That's because it's intended for business use and business users travel extensively so need light yet very rugged for being thrown about in motel rooms and by baggage handlers. One may also have bio-metric and other security features built-in (a higher grade of fingerprint and/or retina scanner and/or secure badge reader for instance) .

Those thing may be "nice" but inflates the cost if that's not important. Point is, consider other features in your buy decision too.

Last edited: