News AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Intel Core i9-13900K and Core i7-13700K: Big Gaming Punch, Smaller Price Tag

One could also say that it has a much smaller carbon footprint. :giggle:

Knowing that this was coming was the reason that I said the Ryzen 9 X3D CPUs shouldn't even exist and that not having a Ryzen 5 7600X3D was a serious mistake.

I am curious about one thing though, why is it being compared to two Intel CPUs? Like, what, you're going to throw everything that Intel has at it to maximise the number of Intel wins?

Hell, if you're going to do that, you may as well also throw in the R9-7900X3D because it's about the same price as the i9-13900K.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

pacdrum_88

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
I'm not sure how the 13700K ties 7800X3D in gaming. 14% less performance on average, and slightly less expensive. That's a pretty large delta. Also, everytime the 7800 wins in gaming, there's a caveat that Intel is better at productivity. If we're measuring gaming, let's measure gaming. If we're measuring productivity, let's measure productivity. If you want the best of both worlds, get the 7950X3D. Article feels like an Intel defense, not a comparison.

" AMD is a faster gaming chip, competitively priced, on a new platform with lots of longevity, and is far more efficient. Also, Intel ties it... for some reason."

The results did not match up with the outcome.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not sure how the 13700K ties 7800X3D in gaming. 14% less performance on average, and slightly less expensive. That's a pretty large delta. Also, everytime the 7800 wins in gaming, there's a caveat that Intel is better at productivity. If we're measuring gaming, let's measure gaming. If we're measuring productivity, let's measure productivity. If you want the best of both worlds, get the 7950X3D. Article feels like an Intel defense, not a comparison.

" AMD is a faster gaming chip, competitively priced, on a new platform with lots of longevity, and is far more efficient. Also, Intel ties it... for some reason."

The results did not match up with the outcome.
Because all those graphs explain it pretty clearly that AMD does win out on average, the 99% it does not, so it's a wash.

Same way cars work, you have city, you have highway ans you have combined. Two cars can have the same combined thus tie despite one edging the other In a respective test.

craigss

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
Wow what a Intel Schill article, the 7800x3d is game centric sold by AMD as such, neither Intel or any other AMD chip can touch the 7800x3d in GAMES that is what its designed for and it beats the Intel top of the range chip for roughly half the power and heat output.....yet the 13700 ties?
Intels up to its old tricks again with its "marketing" budget it seems

So the stock 7800X3D outperforms stock 13700K by 15% in gaming and you call it a tie in the gaming metric.

Looks like Intel's thumb is on the scale.
Like, don't you people even read, at all?
They compare the 9 7800X3D to the Intel Core i9-13900K and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D and in that comparison the 7800x3d wins out against the i9-13900K and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D, but also so does the 13700k.
They don't call it a tie, they say that both these CPUs win...against the bigger ones.

We put the AMD Ryzen 9 7800X3D, the Intel Core i9-13900K, and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D through a six-round fight to see which chip comes out on top.

Reactions: artk2219 and Why_Me

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
They compare the 9 7800X3D to the Intel Core i9-13900K and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D and in that comparison the 7800x3d wins out against the i9-13900K and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D, but also so does the 13700k.
They don't call it a tie, they say that both these CPUs win...against the bigger ones.
No, this article is comparing one AMD chip (7800X3D) and TWO Intel chips (13700k and 13900k). It is right there at top of the article. At gaming the 13700k comes in last of the three and 7800X3D comes in first. So they called it a tie for gaming between the fastest and slowest.

No, this article is comparing one AMD chip (7800X3D) and TWO Intel chips (13700k and 13900k). It is right there at top of the article. At gaming the 13700k comes in last of the three and 7800X3D comes in first. So they called it a tie for gaming between the fastest and slowest.
Well, it's a big article so please quote the exact text where they call it a tie so we know that we all talk about the same thing.

Papusan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2016
Wow what a Intel Schill article, the 7800x3d is game centric sold by AMD as such, neither Intel or any other AMD chip can touch the 7800x3d in GAMES that is what its designed for and it beats the Intel top of the range chip for roughly half the power and heat output.....yet the 13700 ties?
Intels up to its old tricks again with its "marketing" budget it seems
LOOL. What with the 1-1 for overclocking? Fully locked Ryzen X3D chips tied with unlocked Intel K models. This ads article on front page is a new low from Tomshardware.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Well, it's a big article so please quote the exact text where they call it a tie so we know that we all talk about the same thing.

I want you to scroll down to the red bar that says "GAMING BENCHMARKS AND PERFORMANCE: AMD RYZEN 7 7800X3D VS INTEL CORE I9-13900K VS CORE I7 13700K".
This is the section where the Paul compares strictly gaming performance. Start scroll down from there where the tests and comparisons are noted until you see the conclusion
Winner: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Core i7-13700K

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
One could also say that it has a much smaller carbon footprint. :giggle:

Knowing that this was coming was the reason that I said the Ryzen 9 X3D CPUs shouldn't even exist and that not having a Ryzen 5 7600X3D was a serious mistake.

I am curious about one thing though, why is it being compared to two Intel CPUs? Like, what, you're going to throw everything that Intel has at it to maximise the number of Intel wins?

Hell, if you're going to do that, you may as well also throw in the R9-7900X3D because it's about the same price as the i9-13900K.
Writing these things takes time, so combining when and where possible makes sense. The 13900K is the best Intel has to offer, and the 7800X3D beats it. I think that is worth highlighting, given that it is far more expensive. The 13700K is the more reasonable comparison and falls into the same price point. Well, close enough.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

I want you to scroll down to the red bar that says "GAMING BENCHMARKS AND PERFORMANCE: AMD RYZEN 7 7800X3D VS INTEL CORE I9-13900K VS CORE I7 13700K".
This is the section where the Paul compares strictly gaming performance. Start scroll down from there where the tests and comparisons are noted until you see the conclusion
Winner: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Core i7-13700K
At no point does the article say that the 13700K ties or beats the 7800X3D in gaming performance. The article says the 7800X3D is the "fastest gaming chip in the world/on the market/money can buy" seven times. (That's just with a quick ctrl-F, there might be more mentions).

In fact, it even says the 7800X3D is the "fastest gaming chip money can buy" in the next sentence below what you quoted above, right there in the gaming verdict section — but you left that part out of your copy/paste. Accidentally, I presume.

The 13700K gets a check in that category because we have three chips in the faceoff, and one of them is far superior in one area but more lacking in another. For example, the 7800X3D is 14% faster than the 13700K in gaming, but the 13700K is 55% faster in threaded and 22% faster in single-threaded — percentage-wise, those losses in productivity are much larger than the 7800X3D's win in gaming.

In other words, proportionately, you lose more performance in applications than you gain in gaming. And that is fine; that is what the chip is designed to do.

As such, the idea is that the 13700K is for people that need a more balanced chip as an alternative in this price class, but still want solid gaming performance. The 13900K is definitely not that chip, as it is overpriced. In contrast, as the words in the article say multiple times, the 13700K is an all-rounder alternative to the 7800X3D that is slower in gaming overall, but competitive on a dollars-per-fps basis and also has a lower overall cost of entry.

Perhaps the text is not clear enough. It also appears that most here have not read the article, verdict section, or conclusion, all of which say these things repeatedly, instead just opting to look at the bullet point. I will add an 'all-rounder alternative' tag to the bullet point in an attempt to make it more clear.

Last edited:

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
At no point does the article say that the 13700K ties or beats the 7800X3D in gaming performance. The article says the 7800X3D is the "fastest gaming chip in the world/on the market/money can buy" seven times. (That's just with a quick ctrl-F, there might be more mentions).

In fact, it even says the 7800X3D is the "fastest gaming chip money can buy" in the next sentence below what you quoted above, right there in the gaming verdict section — but you left that part out of your copy/paste. Accidentally, I presume.

The 13700K gets a check in that category because we have three chips in the faceoff, and one of them is far superior in one area but more lacking in another. For example, the 7800X3D is 14% faster than the 13700K in gaming, but the 13700K is 55% faster in threaded and 22% faster in single-threaded — percentage-wise, those losses in productivity are much larger than the 7800X3D's win in gaming.

In other words, proportionately, you lose more performance in applications than you gain in gaming. And that is fine; that is what the chip is designed to do.

As such, the idea is that the 13700K is for people that need a more balanced chip as an alternative in this price class, but still want solid gaming performance. The 13900K is definitely not that chip, as it is overpriced. In contrast, as the words in the article say multiple times, the 13700K is an all-rounder alternative to the 7800X3D that is slower in gaming overall, but competitive on a dollars-per-fps basis and also has a lower overall cost of entry.

Perhaps the text is not clear enough. It also appears that most here have not read the article, verdict section, or conclusion, all of which say these things repeatedly, instead just opting to look at the bullet point. I will add an 'all-rounder alternative' tag to the bullet point in an attempt to make it more clear.
If you look at the chart of what wins what, under gaming the 13700k draws with the 7800X3D in gaming. This is the only reason it has the same amount of wins. so yeah according to the graph they offer the same amount of gaming performance. They even try to justify this by putting "X - All-Rounder Alternative" but the fact is it lost, you can make the argument later in the conclusion about it being the best all round alternative but you cant just put a win in the table like that as if the 7800X3D did not win by a solid margin.

So yeah a totally biased piece that did its very best to skip over the actual results and claim it a draw.

I am not saying that the 13700k isn't a more balanced chip if you need that multithreaded performance and in the conclusion I would have welcomed that. What has annoyed me and others is that stupid X by the 13700k as a win in outright gaming performance.

Writing these things takes time, so combining when and where possible makes sense. The 13900K is the best Intel has to offer, and the 7800X3D beats it. I think that is worth highlighting, given that it is far more expensive. The 13700K is the more reasonable comparison and falls into the same price point. Well, close enough.
Yeah, I realise that it's hard to compare because the 13700K is cheaper while the 13900K is more expensive and the price deltas are pretty close. The problem is that, in both cases, it's apples to oranges because not only are the price tiers not lining up, neither is the power use. The Intel CPUs require extremely robust cooling solutions that the AMD CPU doesn't which makes them different again.

It's a bit hard to get my head around the fact that the i9-13900K is the single, most power-hungry (and therefore hottest-running) consumer-grade CPU in history. I honestly never thought that I'd see the day when a CPU had worse power consumption and thermals than the AMD FX-9590 but here we are.

I just think that when comparing one brand to another, it should always be the same number of products on both sides. Otherwise, people get the perception that one brand is better than the other because the laws of averages means that the side with more products being included will get more wins and some of those wins will be meaningless.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
I think the confusion between you, is exactly because many people don't read at all, they scroll down to the first verdict, and the first verdict is not labeled clearly (features and specification). And what does a tie in this category even mean?

I think most people here read articles of this kind more thoroughly, but the common consumer doesn't have neither the time nor the patience for this. He will scroll down to the first verdict, then close the page.

So you are both right - I agree with both of you. And I think the author of the article could have done a better job, and put an explanatory label next to his first verdict (and subsequent verdicts), or grouped all the verdicts together in simple table.

So yes the article is misleading if you skim it quickly, but not if you read it thoroughly. I think the author could have done a lot better.

Last edited:

tristanx

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would like to see idle power comparison with 5 mostly used apps. My experience with 5900X is it is poor comparing with Intel chips. Maybe these?

Browser
Music player
Steam and two more store apps

craigss

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
I would like to see idle power comparison with 5 mostly used apps. My experience with 5900X is it is poor comparing with Intel chips. Maybe these?

Browser
Music player
Steam and two more store apps
but....we are not even talking about a 5900x if you want to do that then lets compare it to a fx series CPU pointless.
The overall takeaway is AMDs 7800x3d is a games chip first and foremost so even comparing it to another CPU that is NOT is unfair, to then compare it to a chip that eats more power and generates more heat is also unfair, but to then claim a tie is outright dishonest, What I would like to see in all these tests is a running budget ie what does it cost to game/work on each system with identical components bar the mobo and cpu for an hour whats the actual KW cost per tier

Reactions: msroadkill612
The overall takeaway is AMDs 7800x3d is a games chip first and foremost so even comparing it to another CPU that is NOT is unfair
What is that even supposed to mean?! Games chip?! It's not used in a console so it's a desktop CPU, just like any other CPU that people use to play games with.
to then compare it to a chip that eats more power and generates more heat is also unfair, but to then claim a tie is outright dishonest, What I would like to see in all these tests is a running budget ie what does it cost to game/work on each system with identical components bar the mobo and cpu for an hour whats the actual KW cost per tier
Is it fair to compare a "unlocked" CPU that blows up if you try to push it even a little bit so it always runs at the most optimum efficiency point AMD selected to a CPU that is always being tested completely unlocked with unlimited power and then claim that it uses more power and generates more heat?!
You can use a $20 cooler to cool the 13900k to the power limit that intel states as the maximum still under warranty.

craigss

Reputable
Aug 28, 2020
What is that even supposed to mean?! Games chip?! It's not used in a console so it's a desktop CPU, just like any other CPU that people use to play games with.

Is it fair to compare a "unlocked" CPU that blows up if you try to push it even a little bit so it always runs at the most optimum efficiency point AMD selected to a CPU that is always being tested completely unlocked with unlimited power and then claim that it uses more power and generates more heat?!
You can use a $20 cooler to cool the 13900k to the power limit that intel states as the maximum still under warranty.
It means AMD has publicly released this and its other x3d processors as games centred CPUs with slightly reduced performance for non games loads, and if you want to tie the 13900 to its standard config with your 20 dollar cooler then lets see how it performs

cyrusfox

Distinguished
if you want to tie the 13900 to its standard config with your 20 dollar cooler then lets see how it performs
I'm building that config to be honest... Side-grading from a 12900k to a standard 13900 and stuffing it in a 6L case, Intel stock cooler is too tall (69mm) but will use that initially while I choose a smaller a cooler to fit, running on a H670 itx board, what test do you want :)
K49 SGPC, 64GB DDR4 3200 MHZ and a GTX 1080 (Paid $100). This PC is mainly used for encoding and media work with very light game loading.

Toms you should do an article comparing all small height Heatsinks, these are the ones I am deciding between
  • Alpenfohn Black Ridge (47mm)
  • Cryorig C7 (47mm)
  • ID Cooling 47K (47mm)
  • Thermalright AXP-90 (47mm)
  • Thermalright AXP-90 X53 (47mm)
  • ID Cooling IS-55 (55mm)
  • AXP-100 Copper (Mod to 55mm)
  • Noctua nh-l9i (37mm with foam mod)

Last edited: