News AMD Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 CPUs, AM5 Motherboards Launching September 15

More than the dates, which have been leaked pseudo-confirmed by several differnt people and sources, I'm more interested in pricing leaks. One of them I saw recetly put the 7700X at around $300 and the 7600X at around $200. That would be really good, but at the same time, it paints* a rather sad picture for AMD: they know they can't compete under 12 cores, which would be reasonable given how Intel is positioning Raptor Lake SKUs using Alder Lake as a reference. The i5 this generation is going to be, more than likely, another great performer in the price to performance category considering the whole platform cost. AMD will need to have a very reasonable entry to AM5 in order to get traction, I'd say.

All of this to say: I'm happy initial leaks point to low-ish entry price points. This is what competition brings!

Regards.

More than the dates, which have been leaked pseudo-confirmed by several differnt people and sources, I'm more interested in pricing leaks. One of them I saw recetly put the 7700X at around $300 and the 7600X at around $200. That would be really good, but at the same time, it paints* a rather sad picture for AMD: they know they can't compete under 12 cores, which would be reasonable given how Intel is positioning Raptor Lake SKUs using Alder Lake as a reference. The i5 this generation is going to be, more than likely, another great performer in the price to performance category considering the whole platform cost. AMD will need to have a very reasonable entry to AM5 in order to get traction, I'd say.

All of this to say: I'm happy initial leaks point to low-ish entry price points. This is what competition brings!

Regards.

I look forward to the battle between the two, that's for sure! However, I think the 7000-series will be faster than Raptor Lake, based upon some leaks already. Platform cost won't be much of an issue as both really are new platforms for your typical upgrade (well, maybe not if you went with a new Alder Lake build & you want to upgrade to Raptor Lake). I'm probably going to wait some months before diving in myself. Easier to let others find any serious bugs first. :)

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020

Regards.

We have a complex market situation.

On the price-lowering side of the equation are:

- lower overall demand after huge sales numbers during the Covid19 pandemic

- accompanied with high(er) production, lower demand pulls prices down

- fierce competition from Intel may also contribute to lower AMD prices but only if Ryzen 7000 loses performance-wise to Intel

Price-increasing factors:

- significant inflation along increased production and transportation costs

- If Ryzen 7000 has similar or better performance compared with their Intel 13000 counterparts, this will keep its prices high - except if Intel reduces their own prices by so much that it beats AMD on the price-performance ratio significantly, which in turn would force AMD to adapt their prices somewhat.

So, there are many unknowns here. Get some popcorn and enjoy the show!

Reactions: thisisaname

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
DDR5 might kneecap Zen4.

Alder Lake doesn't require it and neither will Raptor Lake. While DDR5 pushes up bandwidth it is also doubling (or more) the latency. The net result is that pricey DDR5 6000 or 6400 isn't significantly superior to the current speedy DDR4 3400 or 4000 that is relatively cheap. Requiring the DDR5 adds about $100 for every 16GB of RAM you add to the net system price.

AMD also requires over 100W on all of their 7000 series CPUs, so Intel is no longer the power hog when comparing. I love AMD and was looking forward to building a new system based on Zen4, but DDR5 is going to essentially hand the price/performance crown to Intel.

Reactions: Why_Me