[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7700x New Build Wont Install Windows

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure what thread to put this in as I am not sure which component could be causing my issues.

I just put a brand new computer together and everything was working fine for the first few hours, heres the full build.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7700x
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 5600
SSD: Samsung 1tb 980 Pro
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850w
GPU: GIGABYTE Vision OC GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Cooler: Vetroo V360 White Liquid CPU Cooler

As I mentioned I installed Windows 10 and everything was working great at first, I downloaded and installed some drivers to get the wifi and ethernet working because windows wasn't finding them on its own. I installed Armoury Crate, got my LEDs working and that was it. I played around on the internet for a little bit and just clicked around in windows to get a feel for the new PC, didn't install any new software or change any settings around at all.

I then went to install the latest Windows 10 updates and all hell broke loose, the computer started blue screen of death boot looping until it would get to windows, then it would give me errors on a variety of different files it didn't have access to or couldn't find, then it would blue screen boot loop after a few minutes again, this repeated until windows would no longer boot at all. I decided to try and do a fresh install of windows after the recovery tool wouldn't do anything, being a newer platform I thought maybe Windows 11 would work better.

The first error it gave when trying to install windows 11 was the hardware I had wasn't compatible with windows 11, so I went back and tried installing windows 10 again, this time it couldn't find a file and gave me an error code 0x800725D, so I went back and tried Windows 11 again, same thing but a slightly different error code. I tried this with 3 different USB flash drives just to make sure it wasn't installing windows strangely and none of them worked.

I even went into the Asus safe erase tool to completely wipe the SSD and it still gives me the same errors.

I also updated to the latest BIOs and tried installing again both windows 10 and 11 with still the same errors

At this point the only thing I can assume is the 980 Pro is bricked for some reason, the way it was behaving as it all went down felt like it was rapidly losing all the windows data files until eventually the drive just gave up, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought, I am probably going to go to best buy and buy another 980 Pro to see if that fixes the issues, if it doesn't I am going to be at a complete loss.

P.S. I never once enabled XMP or whatever AMD calls it, I left the RAM at its default the entire time.

Solution
Haha! No, that's normal if the ram is faulty. If you have lots of errors, return those babies asap.

It happens sometimes.

You might not believe it but I enabled XMP just to give it a shot, not a single error after 4 runs, I am in windows now and everything is downloading perfectly fine, no errors.

.... Y'know I tried doing the right thing and getting everything set up before enabling XMP to avoid RAM errors like this, turns out I should have had it enabled all along I guess?

Idk, this is just really strange to me that its working better with the overclock enabled, guess thats what I get trying to live on the bleeding edge of tech, I will keep horsing around on it and post if I run into any of the same errors again but as of...

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
let us know how you go with the new 980

did you use a new installer for 10 as its strange it didn't find Ethernet drivers or have any.

if you getting errors in bios deleting drive, it probably was the drive.

The first usb I used the installer was older, so the initial install was an older windows 10 version, I hadn't had a problem with it before but I have since updated it while trying to troubleshoot.

I haven't gotten any error in the bios at all, and when I have the SSD to a self test it comes up with no problems.

I am going to try one last thing before Best Buy opens and try to clean the drive from the command prompt before install and see if it does anything, I will let you know if that works.

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
The first usb I used the installer was older, so the initial install was an older windows 10 version, I hadn't had a problem with it before but I have since updated it while trying to troubleshoot.

I haven't gotten any error in the bios at all, and when I have the SSD to a self test it comes up with no problems.

I am going to try one last thing before Best Buy opens and try to clean the drive from the command prompt before install and see if it does anything, I will let you know if that works.

Well cleaning the drive in command prompt actually worked, but now I am having a strange problem where it wont install nvidia drivers or League of Legends without giving me an error during the process, Windows 10 still.

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
Check your memory outside of windows with mentest86+. Run it for 4 passes. If there are errors, then you ram might have crapped it.

Try the ram on XMP/DOCP or whatever. Any difference when you do?

Funny thing is I took out 1 dimm before reading this and now its doing perfectly fine, ill but the second dimm back in after i let it do its thing a little bit and run the mem test and ill try to enable XMP.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
Defo sounds like faulty ram. If they don't pass error free, simply RMA them. It happens sometimes.

Actually it was working fine for a while and now its doing the cant install error with league again and the most recent 22h2 windows update will run into an error when trying to download and install.

I am running memtest now with both sticks installed at stock for now then ill do it with xmp enabled.

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
Haha! No, that's normal if the ram is faulty. If you have lots of errors, return those babies asap.

It happens sometimes.

You might not believe it but I enabled XMP just to give it a shot, not a single error after 4 runs, I am in windows now and everything is downloading perfectly fine, no errors.

.... Y'know I tried doing the right thing and getting everything set up before enabling XMP to avoid RAM errors like this, turns out I should have had it enabled all along I guess?

Idk, this is just really strange to me that its working better with the overclock enabled, guess thats what I get trying to live on the bleeding edge of tech, I will keep horsing around on it and post if I run into any of the same errors again but as of right now enabling XMP has literally fixed everything.

Feeling like an idiot -.-

Solution

Idk, this is just really strange to me that its working better with the overclock enabled, guess thats what I get trying to live on the bleeding edge of tech, I will keep horsing around on it and post if I run into any of the same errors again but as of right now enabling XMP has literally fixed everything.

Feeling like an idiot -.-
No, no. No idiots around here. Don't think of it that way at all. When I first joined Tom's community in 2008, I made plenty of mistakes with my PCs. BUT, learning as I go. The community here, is brill and we all try to help each other learn and grow.

if truth be known, maybe in 2008 I had done some 'stupid' things. And sweated about it till all hours (often coming up with a solution at 4.30 in the morning), thinking how will I solve this issue. With help from the Ton's community I was able to find solutions for many issues I've had.

It's all good. Glad it's working well for you now.

If you need any more help you can feel free to PM me. In the meantime, if the issues are solved, then choose an answer as the solution to close the thread out.

LegitCamel

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
The build is still really not liking this particular windows update, it starts downloading and hits 20% then quits and one time it blue screened when I went to install.

ra9ieLr.jpg

TRENDING THREADS