Question AMD Ryzen 9 3900x can't run properly at base speed or over

Jun 15, 2020
Hi, my AMD Ryzen 9 3900x cannot run properly at base speed or over, i am currently running it at 3.2ghz

The main issue is when i try to play games, from single player games to multiplayer games, my games always close to desktop, no error, sometimes it will not respond and i am able to alt tab but cannot open task manager until the game that is not responding closes however i am able to adobe programs and rendering programs just fine

I have sent it in to be checked at the place where i purchased it from. they ran tests and have found nothing wrong with it, they were able to run it at stably at 4.2ghz

I have tried putting the CPU into my friends PC who has different specs than mine and it also closed games to desktop

Im thinking maybe it is my motherboard or the CPU is actually faulty

Windows, BIOS and drivers are all up to date

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Aorus Super
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
RAM: G.Skills Trident Z 32GBDDR4 @ 3200MHz
CPU Cooler: NZXT X63 Kraken
PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold 850W
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Case: NZXT H510 Elite

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to mention the version for your OS. Also, which BIOS version are you on? A lot of threads state they're on the latest but they often times have either one or more BIOS updates pending. Perhaps see if you can reflash the BIOS with the latest version.

Also, please stop editing the thread so often, I've approved this thread more than once.

"I have sent it in to be checked at the place where i purchased it from. they ran tests and have found nothing wrong with it, they were able to run it at stably at 4.2ghz "

If it's a local shop I would demand to see them run the system in person.

The fact that your friends PC won't run with the same CPU in it is definitely leaning towards the CPU being bad...maybe looking into a warranty claim with AMD is the best route to take if the seller is not responsive.

Jun 15, 2020
Could it be RAM? the RAM i bought says its for Intel, but im pretty sure it should work. I changed some timings

F4-3200C16D-32GTZR is the specific G.Skills Trident model

Last edited: