News AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Overtakes Higher-Clocked Core i9-7920X for wPrime World Record

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
AMD's SMT works a fair bit better than Intel's hyper-threading ... So I'm guessing that the apparent IPC ratio between the two platforms is somewhat variable - depending on several factors, like how many HW threads are saturated.

PBme

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
AMD's SMT works a fair bit better than Intel's hyper-threading ... So I'm guessing that the apparent IPC ratio between the two platforms is somewhat variable - depending on several factors, like how many HW threads are saturated.
Certainly is not 100% clear but there have been a ton of reviews looking at single threaded benchmarks and seeing that at clock for clock, AMD is slightly superior. Doesn't fully make up for the clock speed on core-for-core basis when comparing to things like the 9900ks.

Reactions: alextheblue

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
I was going to get the 3900x at launch, but the supply was non existent when I went to pull the trigger so I "settled" for the 3700x and have not regretted it. Yes my friend who has the 3900x can render a bit faster than I can, but I don't do video editing full time so I am happy.

Reactions: alextheblue

LordConrad

Distinguished
Wow! I think i'll be replacing my TR 2950x with a Zen 3 TR when It comes out next year (unless they do another plus version). My 2950x really got whooped by Zen 2, but it's plenty fast for now.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Wow! I think i'll be replacing my TR 2950x with a Zen 3 TR when It comes out next year (unless they do another plus version). My 2950x really got whooped by Zen 2, but it's plenty fast for now.

No more pluses on the roadmap ... they only did it with Zen1 because they had to cut a few things off thier "wish list" for Zen1, due to timing constraints, so just added them later as a "plus" revision.

Zen3 will have some major architecture overhauls -- it should be interesting to say the least. I don't expect the TR parts out till the very end of the year.

TRENDING THREADS