News AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT and Ryzen 7 3800XT Will Likely Arrive Without Stock Coolers

Prisoner #6

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
So they will have higher MSRP than current offerings, have only 100-200 higher clocks and come with no cooler. Not really a good value that I can see. Since current CPUs are coming at a significant discount to MSRP and are more than adequate then these xt parts are really a skip and wait for Ryzen 4000 parts this fall.

hannibal

Distinguished
The point is that these have much higher base clock so they need much beefier cooler than non xt versions!
So definitely good that these have not stock coolers. If you need stock cooler, go for normal versions that will run cool enough even with stock cooler!
If you need more speed, buy Noctua and move on!

Last edited by a moderator:
So they will have higher MSRP than current offerings, have only 100-200 higher clocks and come with no cooler. Not really a good value that I can see. Since current CPUs are coming at a significant discount to MSRP and are more than adequate then these xt parts are really a skip and wait for Ryzen 4000 parts this fall.

These certainly are not going to be for the value minded. However we don't know actual pricing to determine if they are a bad deal or not.

While it's not the best CPU cooler on the market, the chiller possesses the necessary capability to keep the Zen 2 processors' temperatures under control in most situations.

Sure, most situations, except those that involve the XFR2 or PBO boost profiles. It's about time AMD started admitting not just to themselves, but publicly, that these wraith coolers are merely a stopgap that allow you to start using the CPU right away but isn't intended to be capable enough for lifelong use as a daily driver cooling solution.

These coolers were never intended to be final solutions. They are certainly better than coolers from years past, but that's not saying much when we've doubled the core counts and added significantly higher boost and TDP profiles for some models. Regardless that some people seem to believe otherwise, or try to get others to believe otherwise, all four Wraith coolers I've worked with so far (And granted, four isn't a humongous sample, but it's enough) have been extremely loud and annoying under full load, but even at idle they tend to allow the temperatures to cycle up and down regularly which causes a singularly annoying hum that occurs at a specific harmonic that happens to have just exactly the right pitch to drive you right up the wall.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see these disappear from inclusion with all models other than the four core variants.

Sure, most situations, except those that involve the XFR2 or PBO boost profiles. It's about time AMD started admitting not just to themselves, but publicly, that these wraith coolers are merely a stopgap that allow you to start using the CPU right away but isn't intended to be capable enough for lifelong use as a daily driver cooling solution.

These coolers were never intended to be final solutions. They are certainly better than coolers from years past, but that's not saying much when we've doubled the core counts and added significantly higher boost and TDP profiles for some models. Regardless that some people seem to believe otherwise, or try to get others to believe otherwise, all four Wraith coolers I've worked with so far (And granted, four isn't a humongous sample, but it's enough) have been extremely loud and annoying under full load, but even at idle they tend to allow the temperatures to cycle up and down regularly which causes a singularly annoying hum that occurs at a specific harmonic that happens to have just exactly the right pitch to drive you right up the wall.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see these disappear from inclusion with all models other than the four core variants.
I don't agree - these are good coolers. If you don't overclock and use a properly ventilated case, they keep your CPU cool enough.
Of course, is you want to enjoy longer bursts under xfr2, or enable PBO, you need something better - but for normal use, these are good. Contrary to Intel coolers, you don't get throttling under normal operation.

Since these CPUs were INTENDED to be used with XFR2 and PBO, it kind of makes having a cooler that isn't capable enough for those to work correctly, dumb. Not getting full boost and getting throttling, same thing. Semantics. They suck. You can have your opinion, I have mine. They don't have to be the same.

How many systems have you built using Wraith coolers and what CPUs did you use? 😏

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm already looking to replace the stock cooler for my new 3700x. that cycling of the fan up and down almost non-stop is crazy annoying. that hum is just the right frequency to bug me as it ramps up and down.

smart fan profiles has not made much of a difference, sure the cpu runs fine temps but i can't handle that fan noise anymore. and it's been less than 2 weeks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't tolerate the fan noise long enough to finish setting up the first system, much less the next two, and then the one that followed those. By the time Windows was installed I was calling the customer to tell them "We gotta get some CPU coolers. You're not going to like the way these sound." He came over, and agreed. Cut an extra check right then.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Since these CPUs were INTENDED to be used with XFR2 and PBO, it kind of makes having a cooler that isn't capable enough for those to work correctly, dumb. Not getting full boost and getting throttling, same thing. Semantics. They suck. You can have your opinion, I have mine. They don't have to be the same.

How many systems have you built using Wraith coolers and what CPUs did you use? 😏
Agree completely. The included cooler on these high end CPU's is like buying a Ferrari with all season tires. The first thing you're going to do when you get it home, is replace them with something more appropriate. So why do I want to pay for something I know I'm not going to use? CPU coolers almost always can be carried over from a previous build so the cost gets spread over a very long time. Lower end CPU's and non K Intel CPU's should comes with a cooler, the higher end CPU's should not.