Question AMD Ryzen 9 5900X hitting hot temperatures

Jan 14, 2022
Just got myself a new pc with the Ryzen 9 5900X but it is hitting scary temperatures, around 90 degrees in games. Is this normal?
PC specs:
ASUS GeForce RTX3080TI ROG Strix OC
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CM ML240L V2 ARGB Komplett Edition
Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 3200MHz 32GB
Kingston KC2500 1TB M.2 PCI SSD
Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING
ASUS TUF GAMING 750B, 750W PSU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 5000 is designed to pursue higher boost clocks, even up to 90C, before throttling back down from thermals.
So seeing 90C would be normal - in a sense, since AMD designed them with more aggressive boost curves; the older Ryzen 3000s would stop pursuing boosts at 70/80C? I forget exactly which.

CM ML240L V2 ARGB Komplett Edition
Do you have this set up to 'get dumped on' by the gpu? By that, I mean top exhaust?
Also, are you choking the AIO against a solid/semi-solid panel? That wouldn't be helping either.

Jan 14, 2022
I did not build the Pc myself, the company build it then shipped it to me. but the CM ML240L V2 ARGB Komplett Edition Is top exhaust.
And what do you mean by AIO against solid panel? that there is no thermal paste ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did you pay for any overclocking service?

And what do you mean by AIO against solid panel?
iu

Meshed top panel = smoother airflow up through the radiator and outside the chassis.
Pretty much the best panel design to be used with AIO radiators next to open bench systems.

iu

Practically closed off top panel. Combined with air resistance presented by radiator, this would be a pretty hard choke point for top exhaust.
Basically stacking walls over the AIO's fans and making their job harder.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
TD500 Mesh, huh?
I get that you didn't overclock, I asked if they overclocked for you - for a fee.

If I trust the associates who assembled the PC to be competent, then I believe the problem to be the ML240L V2 not coping well with both the heat from the cpu and coming off the big ol' gpu below it. I also see that there isn't any fan at the rear.

Solution: Send the PC back to those who built it, and have them swap the positions of the AIO radiator and 3 fans - the 3rd fan can fill the rear exhaust position.
IF that's too much trouble, then have someone you know is familiar with PCs swap the parts for you.