Question Amd Ryzen 9 5900x - RAM upgrade

Altamira_02

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I am currently running the 5900x with 32gb (2x16) Patriot Viper Steel 3200mhz CL18 on a B550x motherboard.

3ds max eats the ram like nothing, especially on larger projects, and was contemplating about upgrading to Viper Steel 3600mhz CL16 (2x32gb), leaving space for future upgrade.

Thing is, CL16 3600mhz is hard to find currently, and was wondering about how much performance would I leave on the table if I picked CL18.

And the second question would be, how well would it run with 4 sticks for a total of 128gb. I have read somewhere that Viper Steel does not work well with 4 sticks installed.

Last edited:

Altamira_02

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Edit, I did just read that the 4 stick problem is a ryzen problem.

So, given that I have 4 free slots, would it be better to find 4x(X)gb matching set, or go 2x(X)gb, and reduce the chance of errors by using only 2 slots?

Hi
It would help the experts to list your specs.

The experts here can explain and help you way more then I can But the Amd issue stems from the 2 channel memory controller defaulting the ram speed to whatever cpu series it is when all 4 slots are populated.

For our cpu's it's 3200.
In a 2x ?? 3600 and higher can be attained.

In 4x ?? It will default the speed to 3200.
Some times ram speed has to be ran lower then the rated ram speed even to run and some have been able to get help from Ryzen Dram calculator to get a little higher and tighter timings but it takes lots of testing.

In my case if I wanted to run 64gb my max(x470 mobo)
I would buy no faster then 3200 as it may not be able to run above that, so 3600 would be a waste of money.
I went with G.skill trident z rgb 2x16 3600 cl 16 16 16 36 runs fine and very stable@ 3733mhz

From what I'm seeing in choosing 64gb 2x32 the timings are creeping up higher even at 3200 like 14 18 18 38
For 3600 the best I saw was 16 18 18 38
Team group extreme $360.
With most of the others at 16 22 22 42 cheaper.
When it comes to cl16 vs 18 I'm not sure how it works out but do know 3200 cl 14 can be almost as good as running 3600.

It would take me alot of time studying the mobo Qvl, searching for any and all leads to any prospective ram purchase if I were in your shoes.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Altamira_02

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you for the reply!

I used to be into computers when I was a kid, when the CPU had its own exhaust pipe going to the side of the case (its been a couple of years since then)

Config:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12core
Asus RTX 3060Ti
Gigabyte B550x 1.0
Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x16gb (cmd tells me its 3600mhz CL18), but in the task manager it runs at 2666mhz

I would also like to point out, that I prefer prioritizing stability over marginal gains. The last thing I want is the PC to crash during rendering.

And without RGB if possible.

Last edited:

Altamira_02

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I would buy no faster then 3200 as it may not be able to run above that, so 3600 would be a waste of money.
I read that its recommended to match the RAM mhz, to the infinity fabric speed. Thats why I was looking for 3600mhz sticks.

EDIT: I just reread the post.

So, 4 slots 3200mhz, 2 slots 3600mhz.

So if I populate 4 slots with 3200 CL16, would it run faster and more stable than 2 slot 3600 CL18? Given the fact that both configuration would end up having the same GB size.

I am still figuring out if 64gb would be enough. Landscaping is not gentle on memory.

Last edited:
Something doesn't seem right for 2666.

Do you have the ram in in the 2nd and 4th slots working right of the cpu ? Slots a2 -b2.
If it's not in the 2nd and 4th slots shut down and change them reboot go into bios recheck dram /frequency multiplier for the fight speed and set infinity clck to 1800. Then recheck task manager.
Then maybe do a test running your program and see if it helps.
To also help the Experts if they come around please run cpu-z memory and spd tabs and if possible post pics of those using imgur.com

Running a 4 stick kit may at best run 3200,
At that point it's not about the speed
But having the extra gigs, would give you what you need for your program.

Altamira_02

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Something doesn't seem right for 2666.

Do you have the ram in in the 2nd and 4th slots working right of the cpu ? Slots a2 -b2.
If it's not in the 2nd and 4th slots shut down and change them reboot go into bios recheck dram /frequency multiplier for the fight speed and set infinity clck to 1800. Then recheck task manager.
Then maybe do a test running your program and see if it helps.
Ok, I thought that wmic MemoryChip would show me slot positions. I was incorrect.

I double checked in BIOS and the RAM sticks were in the correct a2b2 position, but XMP was not enabled.

I did set it to Profile 1, which was the only available option, and now in the task manager I get 3600mhz!

Last edited:
Well atleast you are now running at your rated ram speed.

You cold possibly get to 3733 ?
To do that go back into bios and find the memory/dram multilier 3733 should only be a setting or 2 from 3600.

It won't hurt to increase your ram voltage a tiny bit.
So if your ram voltage is 1.35 increase it to 1.37

There is 1 more thing thing that I was shown that help increase the reads and writes.
But with any of these settings I have mentioned from kicking up the frequency and the reads and writes, testing needs to be done.

Which gigabyte b550 ?

Also on 1 of your questions
2x
Is easier on the memory controller then a 4x config.

Where do you live? Country
Is there any local computer shops close by or would you be buying online?

How is it running since the change?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Since you're looking for stability rather than outright speed IE production rather than gaming it's ok to drop a little in MHZ. CL values figure 2 CL higher is roughly (very rough) 200mhz slower.

Stability is key here so you might want to try and hunt down 3200mhz CL16 or CL14.

Who knows, you might be able to run 4x @ 3600 CL16 but it's certainly not guaranteed. Another option if available look on eBay. Assuming the seller is ok with returns. Sure you might have to pay for the return, but you might get a really good used set at a steep discount. Ram is small & light, cheap to ship. Of course you may want to contact the seller to confirm they are ok with u trying and returning just as a heads up.

Altamira_02

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
The PC has been running without problems. Did not do any rendering or heavy scenes yet, but it seems that 3ds max is loading faster, could be placebo. Have not used it the last 2 weeks.

Will try some stress tests, before I start OC, probably sunday. I dont know if I will have time before then.

Question: would not the 3733 run worse than 3600 since its not 1:1 match to the infinity fabric? Or do you then tweak both so that they match up? I read you should be able to hit 1900 on IF pretty steadily.

I could optimise the workflow inside 3ds max to reduce the amount of memory usage. I tend to multiply complex objects inside a single file. It increases the memory consumption, but its better for fiddling around with ideas and comparing them on the fly.

I would really like to avoid buying used. I know its cheaper, but I am hesitant about it.

At least now I know why my laptop started crushing a couple years back, after I replaced the RAM with 2 sticks (they were sold separately).

They should really state clearly on websites, not to combine 2 different sticks or sets together. I wonder how many returns they get just because of that.

Yes you would set both frequency and infinity fabric clock.
So mem multiplier 37 ?? (If it has decimal)

And infinity clck set to 1866 which it doubles.

My 5900x is on a Asus x470 F Gaming so terminology is a little different but I have helped a friend which has a Gigabyte x570 aorus Elite.
Thought it was really strange digging around in his bios because of the terminology difference.

Ya definitely agree
that in a 4 stick kit ram speed 3200 cl 16 / 18 won't make that much of a difference to see with the naked eye.

So you still haven't told us what gigabyte b550 model mobo.
Or what part of the world.

There are some pretty good prices on newegg for some 2x32 configs of 3600
Ranging from $135 to 290.00 the higher priced being rgb.

Not knowing what mobo you have it's hard to tell which would be good for your mobo.

I pretty much have used G.skill on 3 different systems being able to pick out the Samsung Bdie ram kits by scouring the Mobo Qvl.
G.skill bdie kits can usually be picked out with there timings.
Like their 3200 flare x cl14 14 14 34
Or
Trident z rgb 3600 cl 16 16 16 36

But when going upto 2x32 config as stated earlier the timings have creaped up as well, so mobo qvl usually says what it is,
Micron, hynix, samsung etc.

Have A Great Weekend