[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (Zen 3 Means What) and how to know what motherboard matches?

Solution
What does Zen 3 tell me? And how do I know what motherboard is compatible?
"Zen 3" does tell you the level of development of the Zen architecture but it's not the generation. Zen 1 itself had a minor improvement in architecture, called Zen +.

So...
Zen 1 (or simple Zen) = 1st gen, 1000 series CPU's
Zen 1+ (or simply Zen+) = 2nd gen, 2000 series CPU's
Zen 2 = 3rd gen, 3000 series CPU's
Zen 3 = 4th gen, 5000 series CPU's.

It's all rather confusing because no logical trend is developed.

...Would the 500 you mention be Zen3 Ryzen 5000 series, Threadripper PRO 5000 series?

Zen CPU's fit on socket AM4 desktop motherbards. They have different chipsets: the first generation were 300 series (mostly A320/B350/X370), 2nd...
So Zen is a date mark.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3
The other item, the motherboard, wants a Chipset and Socket. If I knew these two items it would help me a lot.
Bob
A socket is where the CPU goes into. For AMD systems this isn't really anything to worry about because all Ryzens (as of this post) use socket AM4.

Chipset is something on the motherboard that provides additional features and compatibility. This includes CPU compatibility, despite the motherboard using the same socket. For Socket AM4 motherboards specifically, you can read about what chipsets you can find at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM4#Chipsets

If you want a cheat sheet, get a 500 series chipset board. They're guaranteed to be compatible with all Zen 3 based Ryzen processors.

Last edited:
Reactions: amerifax

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
A socket is where the CPU goes into. For AMD systems this isn't really anything to worry about because everything they made in the past 5-6 years is AM4.

Chipset is something on the motherboard that provides additional features and compatibility. This includes CPU compatibility, despite the motherboard using the same socket. For Socket AM4 motherboards specifically, you can read about what chipsets you can find at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM4#Chipsets

If you want a cheat sheet, get a 500 series chipset board. They're guaranteed to be compatible with all Zen 3 based Ryzen processors.
After going at this a second time, it seems the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3 is a X570 , based on the diagram. Would the 500 you mention be Zen3 Ryzen 5000 series, Threadripper PRO 5000 series?

What does Zen 3 tell me? And how do I know what motherboard is compatible?
"Zen 3" does tell you the level of development of the Zen architecture but it's not the generation. Zen 1 itself had a minor improvement in architecture, called Zen +.

So...
Zen 1 (or simple Zen) = 1st gen, 1000 series CPU's
Zen 1+ (or simply Zen+) = 2nd gen, 2000 series CPU's
Zen 2 = 3rd gen, 3000 series CPU's
Zen 3 = 4th gen, 5000 series CPU's.

It's all rather confusing because no logical trend is developed.

...Would the 500 you mention be Zen3 Ryzen 5000 series, Threadripper PRO 5000 series?

Zen CPU's fit on socket AM4 desktop motherbards. They have different chipsets: the first generation were 300 series (mostly A320/B350/X370), 2nd generation 400 series (B450/X470) and 3rd generation (B520/B550/X570).

ADDED: while there is a lot of variability among different boards in each generation, capability also improved a lot with later generations. VRM's in particular got much stronger after the 300 series but as well support for things like PCIe gen 4 is found only in the 500 series chipsets.

Last edited:
Reactions: amerifax
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you are building new, then a b550 or x570 board is the way to go. older chipsets like the b450 can support it, but why get old tech when the newer stuff has more modern features.

so short list is simply look for a b550 or x570 board for a 5950x

threadripper is a different beast and does not work on the am4 socket. rather it uses the sTR4 socket. they are more workstation type and cost a good bit more than the Ryzen 5000 series chips.

I would also look at boards that have the BIOS Flash feature, it makes updating the BIOS that much more easier. Many of the B550/X570 motherboards are still only 3rd generation cpu ready out of the box and will need a BIOS update to run 5950X, (although if they have been manufactured recently, they will be 5000 series ready, just make sure you check before you buy.)

Threadripper uses Socket TR3, not AM4.
Opps...I missed that Threadripper question! But it's actually socket TR4.

@amerifax : TR processors come with very high core counts and large, multi-channel (4 or more) memory capacities. That makes them very powerful for professional high performance workstations but the memory architecture and extreme package power density limits their performance for routine desktop work and, especially, gaming that relies on very high light- threaded performance. Pro processors have features that make them very useful in managed, corporate networks.

Last edited: