News AMD Ryzen 9 7950X and Ryzen 5 7600X Review: A Return to Gaming Dominance

tummybunny

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Finally!!!

Why are 7600X PBO scores sometimes lower than normal scores? E.g. in '3D Mark DX11, DX12, and Chess Engines' and also Cinebench R23?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just a quick thank you for periodically throwing in the msrp for the various chips. it helps a ton to keep cost in the perspective when looking at all the charts.

a slightly longer line is nice, but to see it costs $250 for that slightly longer line is very important :)

now i'll sit back and listen to all the folks whine about the new power usage, while noting it's the same people who have been ignoring intel's much higher power draws the last few years simply saying "those 5 extra fps are worth 150w extra!!"

that 7600x sure looks inviting if you're building a new gaming rig and i look forward to seeing what intel will bring in a month.

edit: and an igp is a nice addition even it is is basic. that was one complaint for sure last few gens. if the gpu goes, you are stuck with nothing. at least now you can troubleshoot better with no gpu installed.

Last edited:
I'm raising an eyebrow over the 95°C being "normal" for Ryzen temps now as the CPUs want to boost as much as they possibly can.

That's a lot of heat, by design, going to the PC case. Well, I'm guessing this will be a problem for the 7950X and, maybe, 7900X, but not so much for the 7700X and 7600X, but that's a lot of power and it'll definitely put your cooling to the test (no pun intended).

Not a bad showing, but I'm not fully convinced this is a move in the right direction... Oh welp...

Regards.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i also have a 5900x and am not thinking about this gen at all from either amd or intel.

i did note that zen 5 will be a complete new design and might be a big enough gain to think about upgrading. by then ddr5 prices should be down and so on and so on.

but frankly i don't see any reason to upgrade from a 5900x at this point. especially for a simple gaming rig. the 5900x offers plenty of performance so it's not like you are lacking all of a sudden simply due to a new release :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I'm raising an eyebrow over the 95°C being "normal" for Ryzen temps now as the CPUs want to boost as much as they possibly can.

That's a lot of heat, by design, going to the PC case. Well, I'm guessing this will be a problem for the 7950X and, maybe, 7900X, but not so much for the 7700X and 7600X, but that's a lot of power and it'll definitely put your cooling to the test (no pun intended).

Not a bad showing, but I'm not fully convinced this is a move in the right direction... Oh welp...

Regards.

i hate the raised power draw but so long as folks keep equating mhz with total performance and are willing to spend anything and everything to get it......... low power draw was probably the best selling point of ryzen the last few years. at least we know it will still be a lot lower than what intel is going to bring to the table next month. i'm sure the pretty lines on the charts will be awesome, but i'll be looking at the fine print for the power draw at even basic tasks as even that has creeped up a ton for intel the last few years.

Regards.
Gamers Nexus review (here) goes into detail on this drastic change. This is a very aggressive stance and a complete departure from recent previous AMD CPUs, as far as I've seen.

The long and the short of it is - Regardless of your cooling solution, if the Ryzen 7000 CPU is put under a sufficient enough workload, it will race up to 95ºC for the max core temp before it starts to throttle frequency. Note that this behavior is with auto settings only.

Looking like I am best off upgrading to a 5800x3d, over buying a whole new platform, unless I see some convincing WoW results that show otherwise.
It's making me second guess as well. This just goes to show how much extra L3 cache helps gaming workloads. I'm definitely upgrading but I may wait for the first 7000 series X3D chips to be released.
There has been talk of the 7000 series X3D chips possibly coming out by year's end AND that AMD has made improvements in the X3D architecture, keeping base and boost clocks more in line with the non-X3D counterparts. The 'missing' 7800X in the initial lineup leads me to believe that that's where they'll put the X3D variant, at least initially.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
I'm also curious to see what PCIE G5 M.2 and GPUs will bring to the platform. There's certainly a lot to consider before even attempting to upgrade.

Yeah 5900x and 5800X3D owners should stay put. Even 3000 series folks need to wait until the dust settles for the various next gen parts for the AM5 platform

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
All these decades later and we are still short on PCI-e lanes that are often split up 8x0x8 or the like. Originally this was done so we could run SLi on 1st gen PCi-e mobos. Isn't it time we progress and start adding more lanes to our CPUs and Chipsets? I for one want to see more mobos with full electrical x16 slots, no more x16mechanical with x8 electrical.

Reactions: atomicWAR

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
looking back i don't see power draw for the 7600x. it says 231w for the 7950x but nothing for the 7600x. or did i miss it?

i'm guessing it is a lot lower, probably around 160w or so, but that's just a guess based on past chips.

edit: looking at other reviews around the web, i don't see 150w for the 5600x which is great news. that will go along way for "value" proposition when compared to what intel is offering in similar performance based on their current power usage and platform/cooling needs

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All these decades later and we are still short on PCI-e lanes that are often split up 8x0x8 or the like. Originally this was done so we could run SLi on 1st gen PCi-e mobos. Isn't it time we progress and start adding more lanes to our CPUs and Chipsets? I for one want to see more mobos with full electrical x16 slots, no more x16mechanical with x8 electrical.

Needs and costs. That is a lot of silicon real estate to add to the CPU, and you would need all those extra board traces, and probably additional layers to avoid crosstalk at PCIe 4/5 speeds. So you would be looking at costs similar to threadripper on the motherboards, and the I/O die would have to get bigger.

i hate the raised power draw but so long as folks keep equating mhz with total performance and are willing to spend anything and everything to get it......... low power draw was probably the best selling point of ryzen the last few years. at least we know it will still be a lot lower than what intel is going to bring to the table next month. i'm sure the pretty lines on the charts will be awesome, but i'll be looking at the fine print for the power draw at even basic tasks as even that has creeped up a ton for intel the last few years.
I also have a 5900X being cooled by an Arctic Freezer 240 AIO and it never goes above 155W with 67°C (tested under torture, after replacing the old headspreader from the recall). It boosts quite high and all, but i doesn't get toasty, at all.

I wish AMD would put a bit more marketing budget towards educating us all about making the new Ryzens run cool and quiet. Some have touched on the "ECO" mode, but I have no idea if that's just a TDP toggle or what.

I'd love more details on that.

Gamers Nexus review (here) goes into detail on this drastic change. This is a very aggressive stance and a complete departure from recent previous AMD CPUs, as far as I've seen.

The long and the short of it is - Regardless of your cooling solution, if the Ryzen 7000 CPU is put under a sufficient enough workload, it will race up to 95ºC for the max core temp before it starts to throttle frequency. Note that this behavior is with auto settings only.
Yes, as Steve said, it's just how AMD designed the new Ryzens. I'm just not liking this change as it just forces a lot of heat production. I'll get over it, for sure, but I do want to see more information on how to run the new Zen4 siblings in more efficient ways. Be it built-in or otherwise.

Regards.

Reactions: ottonis

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
and i am not sure what you think you will get more from adding those extra lanes as well?? other than a bigger number to put on the box, what do you feel is a reason to add a crazy amount of lanes?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I also have a 5900X being cooled by an Arctic Freezer 240 AIO and it never goes above 155W with 67°C (tested under torture, after replacing the old headspreader from the recall). It boosts quite high and all, but i doesn't get toasty, at all.

mine will get to about 175w in a torture test which is when it throttles for temps. i'm not running a top end board so was happy it got that high. but day to day it sits around 100w and is easily cooled by my budget be quiet pure rock 2 :)

obviously if i wanted to let it eat it would need more cooling but for now i'm happy. my work is more resource heavy and not so much power heavy.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
The power efficiency of the Ryzen 7950 is just mind-blowing. We are not talking about a few percent less energy consumtion and a few percent faster task completion. We are talking about 30-40% differences in total efficiency compared with Intels best Alder Lake Processors.

So, kudos to AMD for this amazing uplift.
Now, whole system prices are a different story (DDR5 RAM, new mainboards etc) but heck, those who don't want or don't need the latest and greatest system can easily build a great computer based on previous gen Ryzen 5000 CPUs. For gamers, the 5800X3D still rules the crop, so those whose primary interest is in gaming, can go with that one and and still have the fastest gaming machine in town.

Reactions: Makaveli and King_V
Yes, as Steve said, it's just how AMD designed the new Ryzens. I'm just not liking this change as it just forces a lot of heat production. I'll get over it, for sure, but I do want to see more information on how to run the new Zen4 siblings in more efficient ways. Be it built-in or otherwise.
Yup. A couple of points -

First off, AMD's warranty specifically states that even default auto-overclocking, yes, just drop-in, no-settings-changed BIOS config, is NOT covered under their warranty. Now, is there any way AMD could know that the CPU was overclocked? No, there isn't. However, this could be a factor in AMD's willingness to cover any influx in warranty claims they receive from chips failing, due to running at a toasty 95ºC for any length of time. If you're going for warranty claim, and there's any type of 'questionnaire' they make you fill out beforehand, be careful how you answer it.

Second, and related, even if AMD gets a ton of warranty claims and denies them, the whole process would be a money drain and PR nightmare for them. AMD must be pretty confident in this fab process to run their chips right up to 95ºC, which is good news.

Reactions: King_V

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020

Initially, I was skeptical as well. But after looking at the "Handbrake power efficiency" image, I was totally blown away by the power efficiency. So, I guess that setting up the BIOS might limit power consumption (and limit the booster- frequencies, obviously) - but would will provide a champ that will run circles around its peers that have been limited to similar power levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arbie and King_V