Review AMD Ryzen 9 9950X Review: Zen 5 at Full Power

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Your story mentioned the USB 4.0 60GB/s with 3rd party chips, is that a new feature? its 40GB/s and then the newest standard of Thunderbolt is 80/80 (or 120 if you change one of the channels to make it asymetrical). There is no such thing as 60

And pretty much like every other enthusiest on here, I think th is is the most disapointing AMD launch...ever

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
Your story mentioned the USB 4.0 60GB/s with 3rd party chips, is that a new feature? its 40GB/s and then the newest standard of Thunderbolt is 80/80 (or 120 if you change one of the channels to make it asymetrical). There is no such thing as 60

And pretty much like every other enthusiest on here, I think th is is the most disapointing AMD launch...ever
Good eye. Typo, fixed!

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
It gets so confusing when the performance of new products falls between products from the past generation. Just make one chip with a true generational difference and charge $600.

NinoPino

Respectable
May 26, 2022
Very disappointing the single thread and gaming results. Anyway I find suspicious results on some benchmarks.

There are regressions respect 7950X in games like "Far Cry 6" and "Hitman 3".

Regression also in Outlook score vs 7950X.

I found abnormal also the NAMD score that for the 9950X is 0.6328 days/ns while Phoronix achieved a 3.14 ns/day that is about twice the performance, for comparision the 14900k is in line with Phoronix.

I suspect there is something to analyse and refine on these benchmarks.

Agree that the driver problem with core parking feature is something unacceptable. But the need to reinstall the OS seems to me something exaggerated, must exist a better solution.

Also is historical the surpass in Adobe benchmarks.

Thanks for the review.

Reactions: TesseractOrion
There is obviously something fishy with Windows when you look at the results on Linux.

"The Ryzen 9 9950X was 33% faster than the Intel Core i9 14900K performance overall and even the Ryzen 9 9900X was 18% faster than the Core i9 14900K. For those still on AM4, the Ryzen 9 9950X was delivering 1.87x the performance of the Ryzen 9 5950X processor. These are some great gains found with the Ryzen 9 9900 series."

-Phoronix

geometric-mean-of-all-test-results-result-composite-ar99r99lpb.svgz

Blastomonas

Great
Oct 18, 2023
Whilst it maybe disappointing for some, it simply appears that AMD are continuing to separate out their gaming CPU range from their productivity range.

This appears to be a very powerful and efficient chip for multi core workloads that will likely get better when some of the usual teething problems are ironed out.

Nothing groundbreaking, just a bit better.

There is obviously something fishy with Windows when you look at the results on Linux.

"The Ryzen 9 9950X was 33% faster than the Intel Core i9 14900K performance overall and even the Ryzen 9 9900X was 18% faster than the Core i9 14900K. For those still on AM4, the Ryzen 9 9950X was delivering 1.87x the performance of the Ryzen 9 5950X processor. These are some great gains found with the Ryzen 9 9900 series."

-Phoronix

geometric-mean-of-all-test-results-result-composite-ar99r99lpb.svgz
The differences in performance between Windows 11 and Ubuntu 24.04 LTS is quite striking. Does make you wonder what is Ubuntu doing differently that Windows and can Windows 11 get parity with Ubuntu on this front with just an update or will we have to wait for Win 12.

Giroro

Splendid
The core parking issue reminds me of a problem I had back when I first got a Ryzen 7 3700X.
I installed the AMD Ryzen Master utility to mess around with the OC profiles, and then uninstalled it. From that point forward, the CPU was stuck in some kind of "Eco" mode and would not go over it's base clock. It would override my BIOS settings. The only way to get the CPU to perform normally was to reinstall the AMD master Utility and run it at all times with the standard profile. It had to be reset every time I booted the PC, and any time the Master utility was not running, the CPU would revert back to this eco mode. No amount of installs/uninstalls of the drivers/utility could get the CPU to go back to normal. If this was caused by some kind of change in the registry, I couldn't find it nor could I find any way to revert it.
I still have no idea what the utility did to the OS to break it in this way.
The only 2 solutions that could fix it was to create a new Windows profile, or to reinstall windows.
Since then, I refuse to install AMD Ryzen Master on any of my PCs.

So if the problem is related, maybe making and deleting a bunch of new Windows profiles will be faster for testing CPUs than reinstalling the OS over and over.