AMD Ryzen - any way to disable 'speedstep' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2018
Hi is there any way to disable the 'speedstep' technology on ryzen chip ?

Basically so the chip would run at its maximum frequency all the time. instead of jumping from 1ghz or w.e is the minimum to the max based on the workload.

I have ryzen 2600x on X470 Asus Prime

Solution
You should be looking for AMD Cool'n'Quiet under AMD CBS in the Advanced tab.
Your UEFI BIOS is searchable, so you could just search (F9) for specific settings.
Where did you check that the CPU is always running at max speed?
If you disable AMD Cool’N’Quiet, then low power c-states will also be disabled, so you might need to enable them manually.
You should be looking for AMD Cool'n'Quiet under AMD CBS in the Advanced tab.
Your UEFI BIOS is searchable, so you could just search (F9) for specific settings.
Where did you check that the CPU is always running at max speed?
If you disable AMD Cool’N’Quiet, then low power c-states will also be disabled, so you might need to enable them manually.

Solution
Certainly. There are two things you can try although I don't recommend doing either of them, especially if your CPU is overclocked. There is a reason for Cool N Quiet and Intel Speedstep. It's intended to save power, but more importantly, it gives cores a rest when they aren't needed which allows them to instantly cool. This helps minimize thermal fatigue over time and also helps keep the entire CPU package cooler.

So, it's a good idea to leave them enabled but if you wish to do so you can disable Cool N Quiet in the BIOS, OR, you can go into the Advanced plan settings of Control panel power options, open power options, click on change plan settings next to your power profile's name, click on Change Advanced power settings, open Processor power management and set the minimum processor state to 100% (Or any percent you wish to allow it to drop to such as 50% min and 100% max.)

I will warn you though, you are going to find that this affects ALL cores, as does Cool N Quiet, and that you are going to see significantly higher thermal values in response, so be sure to monitor that closely until you are sure all is well.

If your thermal ceiling is well below the minimal thermal margin as specified by AMD, I usually say ten degrees or more Distance to TJmax thermal margin, then it's probably ok as long as you understand that running a CPU full bore ALL the time WILL decrease it's lifespan.

Aug 14, 2018

I am not satisfied with the performance in CSGO , the FPS fluctuates too much (isnt as bad as with intel speedstep on on my previous i7 6700K).

On my i7 6700K , that was the solution - disable speedstep and the cpu ran at 4ghz all the time and I had no issue over the 2 years I had it (thats the longest I have a cpu then I switch to new and sell the old rig)
As with intel speedstep the game run fine but there were instances where it lowered the frequency and it wasnt fast enough to bring it back when something more happened in the game causing 'fps lags/stutters'

as a semi pro player I cant afford that to happen , if I wont solve this I ll have to switch back to team blue which is shame because I was waiting for AMD comeback for long time

Aug 14, 2018

I have tried the windows power options I have that set to 100% but doesnt look like its doing anything cpu frequency-wise , I ll try to find the amd cool n quiet - as I wanst able to find it under the amd basic bios settings

I don't see the Cool N Quiet settings in the user manual bios section, but that is not surprising as ASUS and other manuals suck. The CPU section shows nothing, only "CPU settings section will depend on CPU installed", but generally this is where it would be found in one of the sub-sections of the CPU configuration.

Aug 14, 2018

FYI AMD has speedstep like technology , that you must surely know. The cpu downclocks and upclocks based on the demand it is just not called SpeedStep that is why I put it in quotation signs. Not sure how its called on AMD - maybe Precision Boost ?

And on Intel you could have disabled it and made the cpu run at constant max frequency for example on my I7 6700k on 4ghz all the time. Which was benefitial for example on CSGO as teh speedstep couldnt keep up with the demand changes therefore - big fps fluctuations between 100-200 for example and occasional stutters.

So lets not confuse the readers AMD does downclock and up clock the frequency based on the load. - We just didnt find a way how to disable it and make the CPU run on the MAX clock all the time

So in a way consider this solved and unresolved at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.