AMD Ryzen Build: Black Screen, No HDD lights, Power & Reset not responding

Jun 19, 2018
I'm rather new to building computers so please bare with me on this. Any help will be very much appreciatedI have recently built a new PC. I got it up and running Saturday night on 6/16/18. PC was running fine with no issues all night. The following day on 6/17/18 I continued to use the computer as usual with no issues. Doing my normal typical work, gaming and web browsing. Computers CPU temperatures ranging from 35-40 Celsius. Video Card Temps at about 35-48 Celsius. Towards the end of the night I installed the Asus Utilities download from the Support Page of the Motherboard which has AI Suite 3 and Dual Intelligent Processors 5. The next day on 6/19/18 I began using the computer after work to do some web browsing with some YouTube. After a while the computer monitor went blank and showed no signal. Everything in the computer is still running, fans, video card heat sink fan. I tried powering restarting via reset button in the front and nothing. I then tried holding down the Power Button and no luck with that either. I also noticed the HDD Lights weren't lighting up anymore either. So I had to manually shut it down via the back with PSU. I let sit for a bit and tried the computer again. I did the same, web browsing and YouTube. Left computer idle playing a video with no issues. Once I began activity web browsing. The same issue occurred. At that point at I didn't fire it up as I didn't want something to happen to the computer as I wasn't sure what is causing the problem. I then proceeded to look up threads for any similar cases but was unable to find anything, at least that I noticed. So I asked a friend of mine who has some building experience suggested I check Video Card for overclock. My Card was is overclocked by default. I can see this in the Asus GPU Tweak II Software. It has 3 default Profiles. Overclock Mode, Game Mode, and Silent Mode. I set it to default setting which is Silent Mode on the last try as it was set to Game Mode. When I fired up the AMD Ryzen Software I did notice the CPU was running Overclocked at a speed of 4.2GHz. As Far as I understand, the chip I have runs at 3.7GHz. I never messed with any settings to Overclock or any of that as I'm not to familiar with such steps. Now my questions is, what could be the possible reason this issue is occurring with the computer? Could it be the chip is overclocked? Hardware issues? Software Issues possibly? I'm afraid I could have overlooked something during the building process. Below is my list of all hardware of my new build. If anyone could provide any information or give me something to point me in the right direction. I would very much appreciate it and would mean a lot. I'm still new to all this and willing to hear and learn from others. Best regards and have a wonderful day. I will also provide pictures of my rig. If their is any additional information you may need of my computer please let me know. 

Case: Corsair Air 540

PSU: EVGA 700 B1, 80+ BRONZE 700W

Fans: Corsair LL Series Fans (3xLL120mm & 1xLL140mm) 2x Air Series AF140L - Connected to Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro

Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-F (With latest BIOS Update)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Octa-Core 3.7 GHz Desktop Processor

Heatsink: Cooler Master MA410P RGB CPU Air Cooler 4 CDC Heat Pipes Master Fan 120mm

Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition Graphic Card O8G

RAM: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2PK x 8GB) 2.4 GHz DDR4 DIMM Desktop Memory Kit - Blue

HardDrive: 1x256GB Kingston SSD, 1xIntel 128GB, 1x1TB Seagate HardDrives, 1x1TB Western Digital HardDive

Since it is a newly built system, I would look for anything that may be shorting the motherboard to the case. Also look for loose power cables from the PSU. i would guess that the power supply detected a fault and shut it down.

The factory GPU overclock isn't the problem.

Here are some checklists on this topic.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2041564/troubleshoot-boot-display-issue.html

"When I fired up the AMD Ryzen Software I did notice the CPU was running Overclocked at a speed of 4.2GHz"

I'm assuming you're running AMD Ryzen Master...on water idling at 40c my system is clocking in the 4ghz range and only boosts higher when needed.

Are you over clocking ? There's no way you should be seeing a 4.2 all core OC on air...if you're not intentionally running OC'd I would check your BIOS is set to defaults and make sure you don't have a software OC profile loading at start up

Jun 19, 2018

Thank you for the suggestion. I was quite cautions and very careful to make sure I had everything. However, I will make sure to check this out as I could have possibly made a mistake or overlooked something. The PC has no issues starting up and running for a bit. The screen loses signal after a bit of usage. Which is when the issue occurs.

I will make sure to look over those links provided and try to eliminate as many of the variables I can. Very much appreciated for the information.

Jun 19, 2018

I haven't done any manual OC since I'm not comfortable messing with those settings. I only used the AMD Ryzen Master software to monitor Temperatures. There I noticed the 4.2GHz speeds on all cores. Which I thought was strange.

I will definitely check out the BIOS and make sure their isn't any OC Profile loading on Startup and report back. Could their be a possibility that the Asus Dual Intelligent Processors 5 Utility be causing an issue. I believe this software automatically pushes system performance to it's optimal level. I haven't touched anything in this Utility software either, however.

Jun 19, 2018

I was thinking of trying this out when I had the time. Will give this a try as well and see what results I get.

Another possibility is the RAM. Ryzen processors seem to be very picky about memory, and your PNY DDR4 memory isn't on the compatibility list.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X470-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL/

It isn't uncommon at all for the RAM to cause the exact no video situation that you posted. Generally the first thing I advise the OP to do is to reseat the RAM. And then do the same for the graphics card. But since this is a new build the problem may be that the RAM was not fully seated to begin with. So when you reseat the RAM press the stick firmly into the slot and make sure that the lever on the dimm slot goes all of the way up. Also make sure that the RAM is in the same color coded slots per the manual.

When I fired up the AMD Ryzen Software I did notice the CPU was running Overclocked at a speed of 4.2GHz. As Far as I understand, the chip I have runs at 3.7GHz.

As for the overclock, the R7-2700X has a base frequency of 3.7 GHz and a turbo boost of 4.3 GHz. That means that the processor will be bouncing around at any given time between the idle frequency and the turbo boost frequency based on the demand at the time. If you load HWmonitor or CPU-Z, you can watch frequency jump around on the various cores. If you load an application, the CPU frequency will jump up. And at startup, Windows is loading all of the applications in the start menu. So the frequency would be at the turbo boost frequency of 4.3 GHz. And that is what the OP observed.

Incidentally the idle frequency of the R7-2700X is probably around one half of the base frequency of 3.7 GHz. You can watch CPU-Z when the system is idling to determine that. It isn't listed in the AMD spec's.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-desktop-processors/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

Jun 19, 2018

I do apologize for the very late replies. I have finally had some time to try some of the suggestions. I checked over that checklist and did some of the stuff on the list. I opened up the case to make sure everything was plugged in correctly, such as no loose cables, cables plugged in in correct connections on motherboard etc. That end was good. I decided to remove the Intel SSD as someone else mentioned those hard drives might have caused give me issues. I also, checked heat sink was seated properly and no leak of thermal paste and no issues there. I also thought maybe the RAM was the issue as you mentioned it is not on the QVL on the motherboard I have. I had no choice to check different RAM as I do not have any other RAM sticks lying around. So I decided to check that later when I got a hold of new RAM that is on the QVL.

When I fired up the computer, the AMD Ryzen Software gave me a notification indicating the previous profile was unstable and will not be applied. To be safe, however, I decided to remove both the AMD Ryzen Master software and the Asus Suite 3 software. After a restart, I have not encountered the problem anymore. It has been over 2 weeks and everything seems to be running fine now. Gaming, browsing the web to work and the issue has not occurred.

I also I appreciate the info regarding the clock speeds. I do notice after the removal of the Utilities, the frequency no longer topped to 4.2GHz. Using CPU-Z shows clock speed at around 3.7Ghz-4.1Ghz max depending on work load. It no longer reaches the 4.2Ghz speeds I was seeing previously.

I do want to thank everyone on here for their feedback and information in helping me towards resolving the issue. It is greatly appreciated!