Question AMD Ryzen built over 2 months ago, overnight lost the ability to POST

Oct 14, 2019
Hello,

First, I have followed (as in done, not read) ALL of the recommended processes in the sticky found here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

I put this built together over 2 months ago with no issue, I had a single BOD around 2 weeks prior that I attributed to video (I was playing a full screen game and had youtube active on another monitor).

After using it one evening, I came back to it, turned it on and found it to produce no video signal. Neither DVI or HDMI from the GPU (no onboard video for Ryzen).

Since then, I have done everything under the sun to try to resolve the issue. Additionally, I bought a MB speaker and have confirmed it:s correct position, but I do not get any error beeps. No matter what configuration (removing all hardware, trying 1 ram in every slot, I do not get any change in behavior). The machine starts, devices all seemingly get power, but no video signal is produced.

Beyond the POST sticky, I have tried
  • A different video card
  • A different PCI with video card slot
  • A different PSU from my old build
  • A different MB (Asrock B450)
  • Double-checked the CPU, no bent pins, no strange smells, no gremlins
The only thing left I haven't seemingly tried, is a new CPU. The CPU is brand new, purchased 2 months ago. For my build I took 2 old drives, my old GPU, and purchased everything else new as follows. But the lack of change in behavior, and lack of beeps, leads me to believe something else is going on.

My build:
CASE; NZXT Elite 510H
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
MB: TUF B450M-Pro Gaming MB
GPU: Geforce GTX 107-
PSU: Corsair CX650M
RAM: (16GB) Corsair Vengeance DD4 (2x8GB)

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Hello,

First, I have followed (as in done, not read) ALL of the recommended processes in the sticky found here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

I put this built together over 2 months ago with no issue, I had a single BOD around 2 weeks prior that I attributed to video (I was playing a full screen game and had youtube active on another monitor).

After using it one evening, I came back to it, turned it on and found it to produce no video signal. Neither DVI or HDMI from the GPU (no onboard video for Ryzen).

Since then, I have done everything under the sun to try to resolve the issue. Additionally, I bought a MB speaker and have confirmed it:s correct position, but I do not get any error beeps. No matter what configuration (removing all hardware, trying 1 ram in every slot, I do not get any change in behavior). The machine starts, devices all seemingly get power, but no video signal is produced.

Beyond the POST sticky, I have tried
  • A different video card
  • A different PCI with video card slot
  • A different PSU from my old build
  • A different MB (Asrock B450)
  • Double-checked the CPU, no bent pins, no strange smells, no gremlins
The only thing left I haven't seemingly tried, is a new CPU. The CPU is brand new, purchased 2 months ago. For my build I took 2 old drives, my old GPU, and purchased everything else new as follows. But the lack of change in behavior, and lack of beeps, leads me to believe something else is going on.

My build:
CASE; NZXT Elite 510H
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
MB: TUF B450M-Pro Gaming MB
GPU: Geforce GTX 107-
PSU: Corsair CX650M
RAM: (16GB) Corsair Vengeance DD4 (2x8GB)
Your problem seems complicated. In all these changes you made, did your pC turn on at least once

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2019
It turn
Your problem seems complicated. In all these changes you made, did your pC turn on at least once

It turns on, MB LED, Cpu fans, GPU fans all get power. But there was 0 change in behavior in all the configurations - just turning on (no beeps).

When I swapped in the Asrock B450, the computer would turn on (again no beeps, no video signal) for around 30s, then power out and power back on.

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
It turn

It turns on, MB LED, Cpu fans, GPU fans all get power. But there was 0 change in behavior in all the configurations - just turning on (no beeps).

When I swapped in the Asrock B450, the computer would turn on (again no beeps, no video signal) for around 30s, then power out and power back on.
Possible the CPU has problems, because there is no other possibility of 2 mboards being dead at one time

Oct 14, 2019
Possible the CPU has problems, because there is no other possibility of 2 mboards being dead at one time

I have a friend, who is more knowledgable than I am and has helped me with testing, upgrading to a Ryzen build soon. So I may be able to test with a new CPU to see.

Reactions: daPain58