AMD Ryzen CPUs Top Amazon's Best Sellers List

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I actually understand a love for "objects", it's a love for corporate brands that I just don't understand.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
The wise choice was probably to wait and get the fastest 6 core ryzen on a b350 mobo.

But, considering im still using a phenom ii x3, i just said shut up and take my money.

Ive been waiting years for a real cpu upgrade. Intel was boring me to death with their 4 cores, and their 6/8 cores are massivly overpriced. I would have likely bought a x99 6 or 8 core years ago if intel didnt price it stupidly. Seriously intel, your 4 core stagnation is crap, your pricing on 6/8 cores is crap.

So 1700x, x370 mobo, 32GB ram, and big cooler already ordered. All for less then the cost the cost of a intel 8 core(without mobo, without ram, without cooler).

Worst case it will still be a massive improvement. At the very least ill be compiling code massivly faster! Cant wait!

Terry Perry

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
What they better be doing is also getting New Ram DDR 4 is really going up when these chips come out. Last year i bought 16G of 2400 DDR 3 for 75$ now it's 125 $

You can clearly see all the people who bit on the 2500k's when bulldozer release was a flop, I did the same with the 3570k but tried to wait for AMD's next promise of the Piledriver which didn't 100% fix things. Now we will see again, If they can live up to their promise. I remember all the cherry picked benchmarks AMD pulled out for Bulldozer and Piledriver releases and the chips didn't live up to it. I'd like to build back up an AMD system in the next couple years. But I also fear new incremental console releases may just end it for me for PC gaming. You can now get a ps4 pro which will run games quite nicely compared to a budget gaming pc...

Those upgrading from Phenom (II) : definite improvement with an extra 20-30% IPC (Bulldozer was a step back compared to K10).
Those upgrading from Bulldozer & al : you should have a Ryzen on preorder already.
Those upgrading from Sandy Bridge and older: double the number of cores, same power envelope, more instruction sets supported. A bargain.
Those upgrading from Ivy Bridge or Haswell (me, probably) : review needed to make sure it's a good deal.
Those upgrading from anything more recent: probably not worth the money, platform is still very recent. Wait for the next generation at least, except if you really need to build a new rig.

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I hardly pre-order games @$80 ever. Why would I pre-order a $300-$500 CPU.

Whatever blows their hair back. I still subscribe to a little thing called reality myself. Ryzen looks great on paper I give you that.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

To be honest you can`t really compare the two ...

you pay 80$ for a game that you will play (if not online multiplayer) for few hours, and it costs you 60$, then you compare with a 350$ part that you`ll be using for the next 3-4 years at least. And on this part even if you don`t have the exact numbers you can also get a general idea from what is already leaked.

I did pre order (never again) Battlefield 4 with Premium and then in 2-3 weeks it dropped 25 euros from the price and for the first 6 months the game was unplayable ... i really doubt you can`t play on a Ryzen chip for few months and then even see major discounts happening in 2-3 weeks :D

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009

sorry to burst your bubble, but AAA games are mostly developed for consoles in mind first, then ported to PC. so chances of games utilizing more than 4 cores in the near future? VERY SLIM.

in the last 5 years try to name AAA titles that fully utilized even 4 cores on PC. now compare that number to total AAA titles released.

what is the ratio?

games like witcher 3 did a fantastic job in utilizing the PC's hardware, so kudos to cd projejek red.

I will follow with great interest all the ryzen doesn't boot threads to be posted on tom's forums, to see in a few months all the bugs and issues that will come out of the woodwork. like always never buy v1.0 of a product if you haven't learned that since the 80's then you yet to learn anything :)

Ryzen will or not surprise everyone... good or bad.

bloodroses

Distinguished
While I'd personally never pre-order, I can see why some would. Figure that after the pre-order, the Ryzen chips will be out of stock for a while. I bet there are people that are gobbling up dozens at the time during the pre-order to scalp them on ebay. So, if you plan on getting one just after the actual benchmarks are released from various sites, expect to pay 2x or more for the cost of the CPU.

This was the same way when the Nvidia 10 series of GPUs was launched, the AMD RX series GPUs, and even the NES classic edition.

InvalidError

Titan

In its press event, AMD said that there will be plenty of chips available and that availability is not going to be a problem. In principle, that should mean that a CPU shortage is unlikely unless demand exceeds AMD's most optimistic projections. In that context, the week of pre-orders may very well be simply to make sure that enough shipments get to the hottest markets in time to meet early demand - having millions of chips in warehouses do you no good if they're not at the right place at the right time.

bloodroses

Distinguished

That's good that they're prepared at least. :)

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Tsk, where's the oc? :D Last system I built for someone with that CPU ran it just fine at 4.7 (4.8 with 1 or 2 cores active).

I agree, t'was only about 3 months ago I bought an X99 32GB 3GHz GSkill kit for 188 UKP, now the same kit is 250+, some sites more than 300.

I'd like sites to confirm whether it can use Win 7 or not. Last I read it wouldn't, which I thought was a very odd thing for AMD to do.

Ian.

G

I am not trolling i am just saying that without independent reviews i would never buy it especially knowing that only x370 supports SLI and overall chipset just lacks.

bloodroses

Distinguished

From what I had read, it will work on Windows 7. However, to be able to take advantage of all of the features/extra instructions, Windows 10 will be needed. This actually is pretty common with newer CPU architectures and older OSes.

G

Ryzen doesn't bring any extra instructions compared to Xeon Broadwell - E based and everything works here under Windows 7.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"sorry to burst your bubble, but AAA games are mostly developed for consoles in mind first, then ported to PC. so chances of games utilizing more than 4 cores in the near future? VERY SLIM."

Theoretically, though, the fact that the consoles have an 8 physical core cpu (well, 6 or 7 cores actually available to game programmers) should mean that we'd see better multithreading on game engines, but to this point its been few and far between for the well optimized port.

Regardless, the whole problem with Bulldozer/Piledriver/whatever was that it had competitive or superior multi-core performance to its intel competitor, but Intel just obliterated them in single core performance, which definitely helped Intel for gamers. Now, it appears with Ryzen, that gap is gone. So, what we have is a product lineup on one side (AMD) in which you can get a low-priced 4C/8T cpu that can match Intel's best for games, *AND* if DX12/better multithread porting takes off, you can upgrade to a much cheaper 8C/16T Ryzen on the same mobo/chipset to cover that potential situation.

The problem for Intel here is that if more than 4 physical cores becomes helpful for games or mainstream apps, they have nothing beyond their 4 core cpus for their mainstream consumer chipsets (Z270 and the like), and their 2011-socket 6+ core cpus require a completely new mobo, plus also being much more expensive than the Ryzen equivalent. (e.g. the 6900K vs 1800X).

Intel isnt stupid though---I would expect some massive price cuts shortly.

G

You are very smart, we'll said. Intel is releasing 6 core cpu for mainstream market by end of this year and also new 2066 platform and exactly 2066 platform is what I am looking for with much lower price. Skylake x 10/20 here I come

Q: How many cores are in a XboxOne? A:8
Q: How many cores are in a PS4? A:8

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Too big a price drop though and they'll be making it very clear just how much they've been ripping everyone off for the past few years.

InvalidError

Titan

I wouldn't say gone but certainly greatly diminished: Intel still has the clock frequency advantage in many cases with most CPUs readily overclocking by 10% or more, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Intel launch a higher tier bin to leverage that as it adjusts its pricing ladder to soften the price cuts.

Whatever happens, the next few months are going to be the most exciting ones in the x86 CPU world of the past six years regardless of which side of the AMD-Intel fence people are on.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

10%? Big whoop. We seem to have forgotten the days of the 3930K, 40 to 50% was normal.

That much is true. I just hope RAM/SSD pricing stops being so stupid because atm it's ridiculous. Wasn't that long ago an 850 EVO 250GB was 53 UKP, now it's 90 UKP, not remotely worth it. Lower CPU prices are great, but the benefit looks much reduced with everything else going up instead.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.