[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen frequent BSOD errors

Jun 12, 2021
My pc is AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, AMD RX 5700, ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus,
2 X 8 GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 DDR4 3600MHz 18-22-22-42. ...
I have increasingly frequent BSOD errors which freezes the computer regardless of whether it is under load or not.
Never noticed any heating issues.
Prime95 crashes most of the times while cpu stress testing.
It mostly happens while idle or while browsing.
Never had any issues while playing graphic intense games. But faced issues sometimes while playing Windows Spider Solitaire(XP version)
I tried updating BIOS, Graphics Driver and Chipset Driver.

--------------------
Some of the Stop Codes are:-
KERNAL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
KERNAL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
KERNAL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION
KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
UNEXPECTED_KERNAL_MODE_TRAP
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM
--------------------
My Findings:-
  1. This doesn't relate to my SSD as I replaced it.
  2. Prime95 CPU Torture Test is throwing errors most of the times.
--------------------
Prime95 Data:-

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 92.78491345, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 3.057664705e+12, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999980044, expected less than 0.4

FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 4.801393168704695e+33, expected: 4.801393168704668e+33
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 2.6833694435806e+34, expected: 2.683369443580598e+34
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4970703125, expected less than 0.4
--------------------
WhoCrashed Output

Crash Dump Analysis:-
On Sat 29-05-2021 20:53:46 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052921-18640-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (0xFFFFF8033AFAC025)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2D, 0xFF, 0x5B, 0xFFFFF8033AFAC025)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 29-05-2021 20:53:46 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (0xFFFFF8033AFAC025)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2D, 0xFF, 0x5B, 0xFFFFF8033AFAC025)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 25-05-2021 13:13:08 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052521-18906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr+0x4b46)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF8025ACFA320)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

Last edited:
Solution
could use ryzen master, I have it even though I don't OC, I used it more to confirm cpu speeds were right

have a look at the section under Perform the overclock, shouldn't be any reason you can't just increase it one notch & try Prime 95 again. If you keep getting errors it could be the CPU to blame.

I assume it saves settings to bios

To slowly increase the voltage, click the “Up” button once in the “Voltage Control” section, which will move Ryzen Master to the next voltage preset. The general rule of thumb with Ryzen CPUs is to keep your CPU voltage below 1.35 volts, with 1.45 volts being the maximum. Using voltages beyond 1.45 volts can shorten the CPU’s lifespan.

Colif

Win 11 Master
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 92.78491345, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 3.057664705e+12, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999980044, expected less than 0.4

FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 4.801393168704695e+33, expected: 4.801393168704668e+33
FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 2.6833694435806e+34, expected: 2.683369443580598e+34
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4970703125, expected less than 0.4

rounding errors can be fixed by increasing voltage on cpu.

all the bsod can be caused by that error

amdppm is part of windows that talks to CPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2021
No, its more an adjustment in the bios. you don't change CPU speeds.

I will ask someone to show you what to change.

I am not certain myself. Just cause I know answer doesn't mean I know how to fix it.

You may not have this exact model but Asus bios are pretty much same across families, this might help next person - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_WI-FI_UM_WEB_060319.pdf
Still dont know how to increase voltage.. I am confused. Can you please help further

Colif

Win 11 Master
i did ask for help but its the time of night, most of the people I asked may not be here yet.

I have asked in 2 places now.

did you run memtest? it might be your ram
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Prime 95 checks CPU & Ram so checking ram is okay will at least reduce choices of cause.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
could use ryzen master, I have it even though I don't OC, I used it more to confirm cpu speeds were right

have a look at the section under Perform the overclock, shouldn't be any reason you can't just increase it one notch & try Prime 95 again. If you keep getting errors it could be the CPU to blame.

To slowly increase the voltage, click the “Up” button once in the “Voltage Control” section, which will move Ryzen Master to the next voltage preset. The general rule of thumb with Ryzen CPUs is to keep your CPU voltage below 1.35 volts, with 1.45 volts being the maximum. Using voltages beyond 1.45 volts can shorten the CPU’s lifespan.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master << where to download from

Solution
Jun 12, 2021

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master << where to download from
I think the easy fix is Asus EZ System Tuning which is already in the BIOS. I changed the "Normal" mode to "Optimal" which increases the performance. So I am guessing it automatically increase voltage. I will let you know if it works. Do you think so ?
I am checking whether it worked or not.... so far, prime95 is not freezing anymore....but still has error in rounding.... but no more system freeze while torture test... so I am guessing this will resolve my problem... I will update soon

post-220444-0-48847700-1443736117.jpg

Jun 12, 2021
if you still getting errors in rounding, you are still going to get BSOD.

is your ram in xmp?

might want to reduce ram speed and run prime again and see if it still has errors

did you run memtest?
Yes memtest passed all 4 test with o errors..
I guess ram is not in xmp... i never changed anything in bios before... everything was in stock settings until yesterday...
Though I changed "AI Overclock tuner" to DOCP... for a while.. but I think I was unable to boot in that configuration, so I changed it back to "Auto"...

Colif

Win 11 Master
docp = xmp
its just what Asus call it

right now it could be ram, motherboard or CPU to blame
ram checks out in memtest but won't run in xmp?

is your ram on here for the motherboard? https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ.../Cor_Products_Memory?type=findbycompatibility

no way to test motherboards & only test for Ryzen CPU is Prime and its crashing.

I think you need to get PC looked at by a repair shop, they should/may have parts that they know work that they can swap in for testing.

Jun 12, 2021
docp = xmp
its just what Asus call it

right now it could be ram, motherboard or CPU to blame
ram checks out in memtest but won't run in xmp?

is your ram on here for the motherboard? https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ.../Cor_Products_Memory?type=findbycompatibility

no way to test motherboards & only test for Ryzen CPU is Prime and its crashing.

I think you need to get PC looked at by a repair shop, they should/may have parts that they know work that they can swap in for testing.
I will try the DOCP to be sure...
0 Results found in the link you sent
Earlier, When I get to the motherborad support page, there was "Quality Vendor List"... My RAM wasn't listed on it.... Mine is Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 ... Instead of "D" there was B and C.....

Anyway I will further test in Prime and let you know....

The Good thing is I successfully completed day 1 with out any BSODs........ I have to check 2 more days to be sure....
Like I said, Only thing I done is "ASUS OPTIMAL" mode on Ez Tuning.....

Colif

Win 11 Master
the ram should be okay if that is only difference, likely its just a newer version of the same ram. It happens.

ASUS Optimal: It 'overclocks' your whole system and offers more stability if you try to overclock your CPU , so more stability in general. It is more power consuming .

It is a small overclock do not worry . This mode is more about offering a good ground for a real overclock . Imagine that it might overclock your CPU buy 0.1-0.3GHz approx. So the overclock is minimal in the other hardware too. You are not in danger of damaging your system at all do not worry . You might see your system being a little unstable ( restarts ). If not then your system can handle it.
In any case you can always return to normal mode.

Jun 12, 2021
the ram should be okay if that is only difference, likely its just a newer version of the same ram. It happens.

ASUS Optimal: It 'overclocks' your whole system and offers more stability if you try to overclock your CPU , so more stability in general. It is more power consuming .

Till now, no freezes... Is it okay to ignore those rounding errors in prime...Does "Asus Optimal" void my warranty ? is the wraith prism cooler okay to handle asus optimum

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you stop getting bsod I would ignore the errors as clearly PC is as well.

What warranty? If you made PC, you can change any settings you want to. It is built into motherboard bios, you should be fine.

Its only a minimal increase in power, its not going to change that much so fan should be fine.

Jun 12, 2021
if you stop getting bsod I would ignore the errors as clearly PC is as well.

What warranty? If you made PC, you can change any settings you want to. It is built into motherboard bios, you should be fine.

Its only a minimal increase in power, its not going to change that much so fan should be fine.
Still working great with no freezes... Look fine... After 1 year, i think the problem is resolved. So What's your conclusion ? What could be the defect ? Anyway Thankyou so much