Question amd ryzen heatsink failing??

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
Hey,

So I have a build I did a couple of months ago. The cpu is a ryzen 5 2600x and I am using the stock wraith cooler. I was actually quite happy with this cooler since install, it kept the cpu pretty well around 35 degrees idle and barely reaching 60 degrees under load but from what I can tell things started to change yesterday. I played dmc5 for about an hour today, and when I closed the game down I noticed a fan inside the system making an odd noise. Like something stuck in the spokes of a bicycle.. It only makes the noise at higher rpm, but the fan will wind up, then slow down, then do that over and over so while I am watching my cpu temps they rise and fall with the rise and fall of the rpms of the fan.

It took a bit longer for the cpu to cool down for this reason, as well as the temp under load was about 5 degrees warmer than im used to seeing. Even now, I don't hear the noise because the fans rpms arent up high enough, but my cpu temp is going down to 39 degrees, then jumping up 10 degrees then down again then up.. I am assuming the fan is failing on this heatsink? I haven't messed with anything since the build 2 months ago, anything else it could be?

the full system:

gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
ryzen 5 2600x
geforce gtx 1070
16 gig of ddr4
750w evga psu

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you physically looked inside the pc? Bicycle spoke noise is usually associated with a wire somehow hitting a fan blade. It's not uncommon at higher rpm with higher suction to even see dust filters sucked too close and hitting fan blades.

You cannot cool an object below ambient temperatures by mechanical means, only chemical, and the temp of the cpu at idle responds to ambient temps. Not those outside the case, but locally inside the case. If the exhaust fan especially, or sometimes an intake fan, is failing or hampered then case temps will be higher. If case temps are higher, so will be idle temps. This can affect load temps by reducing efficiency of either of your larger heatsinks, raising temps all around.

Pc could also be doing something stupid like updating windows in the background, windows store, Cortana even AV or those aftermarket driver updaters can cause small cpu load changes (@ 10-50%loads) which will cause the cpu to surge, and the cpu fan to respond, in bounces.

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
yea I got HWMonitor and it seems to show more stable temps.. and I moved the computer and since then I haven't heard the noise so I suppose it was something rubbing on the fan that got moved during relocation of the computer..