AMD Ryzen Lineup Sold Out On Amazon (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Can you form a coherent sentence? Worth $100 less? As in it should be $100 less than the 6900K? Or $100 less than the current price? Christ I have no idea what you're even on about.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I think it is too early to say if AMD failed to have volume available at launch, or if they did have reasonable volume available but demand was much much stronger than they had anticipated?!

Hopefully we'll get some info on actual sales numbers/volume in the weeks that follow.. If not sooner, for sure we will hear some during the next quarterly investor conference.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'd say the potential shortage is a very pleasant problem for AMD, one which they'll be happy to address. Good on them!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

100$ less than it`s currently priced. The only places where it gives a clear win or equal terms is video rendering and that`s about it. In the majority of things the 7700K beats it or is a bit in front. You can`t ask for 500$ (550 Euros in my country) for a CPU that does less than a 350$ one ....

Sorry ..i love AMD and had an 1800X on pre-order but i cancelled it now, mostly because there are 0 mother boards available in my country with no ETA when they will come. I would have kept the CPU since my main focus point is video rendering and it gives me 6900K levels of performance but other than that.... not much, just an 8 core i5 ...

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

if you think the 1800x is overpriced then what is your view on the 6900k? because the 7700k beats that in the same benchmarks. At the end of the day this processor is not made for gaming the same as the 6900k isnt, no current games come close to using the power of those processors. You also have to take into account that this is a completely new architecture and platform, none of the benchmarks or programs have yet to be optimised for it, if you weren't aware this would be the case when you pre-ordered then you are an ignorant fool. Lets hope that now that AMD have a serious competitor to Intel then these software companies will start to optimize for AMD rather than just Intel. I have a feeling in 6 months to a year we shall see the scores rise in some cases by quite a lot

mrmez

Splendid
"Ryzen's popularity comes as no surprise."

Really?
Sure I'm not really in the loop, but I heard hardly any hype, and just a few basic details and vague claims.
Fingers crossed they perform as expected and that AMD can keep development going.

pecul1ar

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I agree on 'its too early to make definite conclusions' because all the Ryzen benches are what, a week or two old? At least I'd give it a month or so for more in depth benches cause from the early reactions on reddit, youtube, etc. the reviewers themselves want to do more in depth tests.

While taking a break from reading the reviews, I also thought of the way the chips were priced, as they stand on the early bench results. And yeah I think if the 1800X was priced around $400, it would've been an awesome price point. Think of the SBM this year!

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
lol apple is 3 times the price of a same build windows pc. and AMD has a long way to go for me to upgrade my 4790k and I honestly HATE Intel.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

People have wanted to upgrade computers for a long LONG time, and quad core to quad core makes VERY little sense to many as its a small upgrade if upgrade at all.

in comes ryzen. most people who knew about it knew the issues it would be facing weeks in advance, se the memory issue. They also knew that matching a 7700k oc was not going to happen, but it would be good enough, to satisfy them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVIPo_qbc4

There are some outliers, but largely its a non issue. then you have the multitask potential, along with a new platform that will see at least one more cpu on it if not 2.

We will likely see in the coming month great headway on amd's side.

Anyone who uses a computer for more than benchmarks and benchmark setups knows the value of more cores for gaming even if the games don't utilize them all, many of us have wanted 6 cores or 8 cores for years but 800-1300$ for just the platform and cpu alone was a dealbreaker.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Keep your pants on grammar knight. It is painfully obvious what he is saying. $100 less for the 1800x, which is closer to a 7700k. Maybe time for a forum vacation lol.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

I never even compared the price of the 6900K, that`s why i was willing to keep it. 6900K video rendering power for half the price, it`s a huge bargain, even if Intel milks the hell out of that CPU. But on the other side the 6900K still keeps it`s performance up even where the odds are in favour of the 7700k.

I know this is a new architecture, i know that there are still motheboards that have old bios, the final AMD microcode didn`t make it in the release of at least ASUS boards ... most of them have issues running even at 3000 Mhz RAM... but all in all ... it`s a product that excels in some areas and fails in others. It desn`t have bad performance either. Without having the graphs in your face you couldn`t even tell on which machine you are gaming but as you know we all look at numbers, and numbers tells me that the CPU should be at a lower price.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
The question is how many units sold? 50? 200? 1000? Selling out doesn't mean anything without vendor SKU numbers.

AMD stock keeps tanking. Prior to embargo lift, stock was at 14.96. It immediately dropped 3% and is now down 15% since launch to 13.43 (as of 9:35 EST). Intel is up slightly.

That's not what we want folks.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
never thought a CPU would sell out not even being on the market ! well I don't need it and I'm sure if do in the future it's going to be at the local store with discounts, so yeah I'm waiting don't care !!!!!!!

InvalidError

Titan

As long as AMD doesn't need to float new shares, stock market valuation doesn't directly affect AMD's operations. If Ryzen is selling well beyond expectations, low market valuation could be an opportunity to buy back some shares.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

People cashed out at the peak, along with other people cashing out because they knew hiccups were coming, then buy back in at lower price point.

If ryzen was in as big a stock as amd said, and its consistently selling out, the stock will jump at the quarterly report. If amd is lying about the stockpile they had, it will take a dip till servers, because looking at server benches/loads, when you have an amd cpu for 320 going toe to toe with what 5000$ intel setups when they were new, drawing less power, in a best case, and in a worst, falling around where cpus that cost 700~ each in dual cpu setups fall... unless there is a fundamental flaw i'm not seeing, this the more or less the end of intel's high profit margin parts going unchecked or even being viable options.

biggyinn

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Doesn't matter how many units AMD sell as they will have agreed a per unit value to wholesalers ect , its the price people pay tnough retailers which will effect the end numbers actually sold
And the regional variations country to country

InvalidError

Titan

Agreements usually have end dates and volume limits. AMD can change wholesale rates when either one is reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.