AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

TechyInAZ

Polypheme

Welcome to the Official AMD Ryzen MegaThread! This thread will be the main location for all Ryzen discussion and information!

Thread has been updated on 3/5/2017.

This thread serves as the primary discussion thread for all Ryzen information and resources. While discussing, please remember to stay within the guidelines set by Tom's Hardware and above all, DO NOT start a flame war.

AMD Ryzen is the next generation of CPUs coming from AMD. It has been a LONG awaited arrival since the failure of the FX CPUs that launched several years ago. Ryzen plans to fix everything that was wrong with their previous architectures, including single core performance and energy efficiency.

Pricing

Official Pricing for the Ryzen R7 CPUs starts at $329 for the 1700, $399 for the 1700X, and $499 for the 1800X. Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 pricing are unknown at this time.

Release Date
Pre-Orders Began on Feb 22. Official launch is March 2nd.

Performance

Performance for Ryzen as of now seems to be hit or miss. Ryzen is performing very well in highly threaded tasks however in gaming it seems to be taking a downfall vs mid range/high end core i5 and i7s.

The good news is that this architecture is new (VERY new), meaning that optimizations and patches should fix these performance issues with gaming. AMD has said it's working with dozens upon dozens of numerous games developers and programmers to get Ryzen optimized for the latest titles Intel is dominating on so far. (Unsuprising due to the fact that for the past 4 years there was no AMD competition, meaning developers didn't need to optimize for AMD.)

Overclocking has also been somewhat of a shock, Ryzen is by far one of the worst overclockers in CPU history. From what reviewers are saying, roughly 90% of all 1800X CPUs can only make it to 4.0ghz or less. Only a very small portion of 1800X chips can even hit 4.1ghz. (Note: This is with SMT on and ALL cores enabled. If you disable SMT and/or disable some cores, you will get higher overclocks.) However, if Intel was able to optimized their finFET 14nm tech to allow higher clock speeds (ie. Skylake vs. Kaby Lake), what's not to say AMD won't be able to do the same thing.

I want to point out that Ryzen is still a VERY good CPU. It seems like a lot of people are hating on Ryzen simply because it can't game well (specifically at 1080P). I will agree with them to some point, because from the AMD demo's prior to Ryzen launching, AMD seemed to be saying their Ryzen chips were great at gaming.

However, these CPU still do deliver in the productivity department. You still get 90% of 6900K performance for only 50% of the price (with 1800X). So if your a guy who needs lots of threads, Ryzen is still the best buy for you.

Memory Support:

Unfortunately, memory support on Ryzen for high speed RAM --and more specifically-- high speed quad channel kits is very poor. Ryzen's memory controllers top out at just shy of 3000mhz with only two sticks, with 4 sticks, the speeds go down to roughly the 2666mhz range. Compare that with Intel Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E which can easily handle 4000mhz RAM without a problem.

As a WARNING for new PC builders, DO NOT get high speed RAM in excess of 2933mhz for Ryzen at this time. Or it is pretty much guaranteed that you will suffer instability.

Architecture

AMD has been able to pull out an amazing 52% IPC improvement over their previous architectures. Allowing Ryzen to compete directly with Skylake/Kaby Lake.

AMD has also introduced a smart system for loading specific instructions called “Neural Net Prediction”. This tech anticipates future decisions and pre-loads the right instructions for the specific job.

Another smart feature AMD is introducing is called “Precision Boost”. It seems very similar to Nvidia’s GPU Boost technology. What it does is improve the core clock on 25mhz increments and also increases power on a similar basis. Basically, it operates like Turbo Boost/Core but has the capability, like GPUs, to dynamically boost in 25mhz increments, compared to CPUs which only have several clock speed steps.

This also ties in with the power delivery called “Extended Frequency Range (XFR)”. If you have a high end air cooler or liquid cooler, AMD Ryzen can smartly accommodate for the extra cooling capability and increase both voltage and core clock even higher than normal. Again, very similar to GPU Boost (specifically rev 3.0).

AMD has also introduced a new hyperthreading technology that isn't like their previous SMT on piledriver. It works very similarly to Intel's hyperthreading. Without getting too nerdy, AMD's new hyperthreading fixes the problems of the older architecture by not sharing as much resources between cores, instead giving them their own "tools" to play with. Allowing single core performance to stay high.

News and Future Updates
So far, AMD has said that their Ryzen 5 CPUs will be coming in the 2H of 2017, and their Ryzen 3 CPUs will be out in Q3 or Q4 of 2017.

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
You can update the release date to "Early March," at the very least. It was announced unintentionally during an earnings call in February. I've also seen relatively reputable reports that the launch is set for end of February, with availability as early as March 3 for some SKUs.

TDP has been reported as 65W and 95W on leaked SKUs, though the reliability of that info isn't exactly 100%.

Rookie_MIB

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
I've seen some rumored pricing for the R7 8c/16t skus, allegedly (and take this with a grain of salt), we're looking at:

R7-1700 (65w) - $320.00 (USD)
R7-1700x (95w) - $380.00 (USD)
R7-1800x (95w) - $490.00 (USD)

Granted, this is allegedly the pricing for the R7 SKUs which are going to be released first, if it's accurate, it's going to really kick Intel in the nuts because the 1700x looks to really be able to beat the current i7 Kaby Lake parts when it comes to multi-threaded programs. Remember, for a quad core Intel chip at $340-350, you can double the cores and threads for $40-50 more. While these cores might be a bit slower than the Intel cores, overall, the 8c/16t 1700x should handily smack the quad core i7 around.

illegaloperation

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Prices seem too good to be true.

Either that or these processors are going to underperform expectations massively.

viewtyjoe

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

The prices seem too good to be true because Intel has had a virtual monopoly on the segment since Sandy Bridge or so. With no serious competition in the high-end, they were free to charge whatever premium they wanted to increase margins on the products. AMD is intending to force Intel into a price war, and at this point I imagine AMD has a lot more experience in that ballgame than Intel, unless Intel decides to go back to the same illegal tactics they used previously to shut out AMD.

Johnny5

Community Manager
Staff member
Feb 28, 2016

What sort of illegal tactics are you referencing? I'm not familiar with that story.

cdrkf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

If we go back to the early 2000's AMD had Intel beat on a tech level with the Athlon 64 being faster and more power efficient than Intel's P4. Intel in a bid to prevent AMD becoming an equal / bigger player in the x86 space essentially bribed OEMs to restrict the proportion of machines they shipped with AMD hardware inside (by offering 'subsidies' on Intel gear that basically translated to handing them money for taking Intel chips).

Intel were successfully prosecuted under anti monopoly laws and were handed the biggest fine ever levied on a company under those rules (around the $1 billion USD mark)- although given the huge revenues Intel make it wasn't much of a problem for them.

sarinaide

Splendid
Jul 14, 2011
Originally Posted by juanrga View Post
I don't believe a helmet is needed, most of the stuff is already set in stone and confirmed. Only a pair of open issues remain... Moreover, recall I have a list of who said what in case they pretend to continue hiding their mistakes whereas citing mistakes of others
What is set in stone?

8350rocks

Distinguished

There were actually 2 cases for that.

The EU courts for the EU OEMs was discussed here when it happened (it was a verdict that was literally 6-7 years coming), and Intel still disputes this verdict, to my knowledge it has still not been paid by chipzilla: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/184323-intel-stuck-with-1-45-billion-fine-in-europe-for-unfair-and-damaging-practices-against-amd

The U.S. lawsuit was settled out of court with cross licensing and lots of redtape: https://www.cnet.com/news/intel-to-pay-amd-1-25-billion-in-antitrust-settlement/

Here is a WSJ rundown of the history between the two companies: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/11/12/a-timeline-of-intel-and-amds-legal-battles/ (you may have to subscribe to WSJ, I am unsure as I subscribe...)

ScrewySqrl

Champion
Here's Something to think about and even gape, if teh prcing is true:

the 1700 is rated at 65 watts. That’s right folks, AMD is launching an 8 core, 16 thread CPU with a boost clock of 3.7GHz and a TDP of 65 watts.. That’s less than half the TDP of Intel’s 140W 8 core 16 thread i7 6900K, which features the same 3.7GHz boost clock speed.

Crumpet 1

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017

I think that's still rumour.

Eximo

Titan
Herald
Even at 105W it is competitive. 4c/8t Intel is at 91W. 6c/12t and 8c/16t at 140W from Intel.

I'm more concerned that those figures are before 'Precision Boost' kicks in and they start drawing a lot of current. I'm sure they thought of CPU temps, VRM temps, etc though. Curious how it turns out, but I foresee a lot of people expecting more performance out of mid-range coolers.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Agree. The multithreading performance would be close to this

SKU 1 --> 1800X
SKU 2 --> 1700X
SKU 3 --> 1700 ???

It seems two first are confirmed. Last is dubious because all sites are reporting 1700X to be a 8C. However CPCHardware just claimed that OEMs have not validated any 8C 65W chip.

Nope 1151

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
Question, does anyone have any concerns about the Platform Security Processor (Arm A5/A8? core embedded?) From what I've heard it seems to have direct access to memory like Intel's ME.
Also, does anyone one have actual information ON the PSP? I can only find some slight security white-papers and the Liber/coreboot site. :\
(If you are wondering, I'm rocking along a Q6600/ AMD Phenom II X6 1055, one is dying so I need an actual replacement)

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Even if Windows 7 boots Ryzen, a lack of support means that any bugs will probably not be patched.
So far as I know it boots.

illegaloperation

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Windows 7 is eight years old.

Resource can be better spend elsewhere (i.e. optimizing the drivers for Windows 10).