AMD Ryzen/Vega-Powered HP Laptop Listings Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

weilin

Distinguished
It's more of a Dell thing.. Their Inspiron 15 7000 series (i just got one) also defaults to 1 stick of 8GB memory in the lowest default configuration (but comes with a NVidia 1060). You have to customize your order get dual channel...

bacome

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Already saw some Ryzen 2500u enabled Envys over the weekend at a certain yellow and blue Big Box Retailer, so they are out there for consumption.

tim.hotze

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Honestly, given OEM price inflation on upgrades, I'd much rather get single channel then buy a second stick when I got the laptop than pay for an upgrade in most cases.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
So they have added a Ryzen 3 2300U here and Dell a 2200U.

Laptops are often limited to single channel offerings of dual channel processors and it is frustrating. I guess every dollar counts toward profit. I can understand when they have lowered the clocks a second channel has less impact and powering a second stick effects run time. Some have soldered RAM ugh.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Given the comments I've read on Dell's 17" only offerings it seems like 17" is in very low demand. (Too big/heavy to haul around.)

I think the main issue is that the demand is for small, slim and light computers.
Having two actual memory slots will add both size and weight which will decrease sales. :(

Really? Given that there's no second memory slot and possibly not even a first one?

Yeah, my FX502XM has 8gb DDR4 on board and a single RAM slot that can hold up to 16gb(For a max 24gb). Which kind of sucks because I can't even try to run faster memory and being OEM and a laptop, no OC options.

What kind of sucks about some of these Ryzen laptops is how OEMs tend to gimp them with RAM or HDD's. We all know that the infinity fabric scales with RAM speed, so why don't they beef up the speed a bit. Or make it so people can upgrade to higher speeds at least.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
To me it seems like just about all OEM computers <$2,000 are poorly balanced, not only Ryzen laptops.

Seems like a balance between cutting production costs and promoting cheap parts that the less knowingly average customer is willing to pay more to get.

There are some dect ones out there. My ASUS FX502VM is pretty well balance. The only thing I've done is add an SSD and IPS monitor. I paid $800 on black friday a few years ago for it. i5-6300hq, GTX 1060 3gb and 16gb DDR4 2133.

Status
Not open for further replies.