[SOLVED] AMD RYZEN5 2600 Loud Vibration

Feb 18, 2020
Hey everyone.

Just did a computer upgrade about two weeks ago. I was having some vibration issues, and decided to finally do away with my HDD for an SSD. That has helped, but over the last several days my CPU (which is brand new) has really ratcheted up the speed. I've installed the app center for my motherboard along with the relevant fan control app. That and a recommended hardware monitor show my idle temps at ~32C so heat is not an issue.

Enabling smart fan systems has helped, especially on 'quiet' mode, but the issue is still present at boot and any time fan RPM passes 1200. It is a constant, high pitched whine audible through my noise canceling headphones. I am very easily distracted and this is impacted both my work and leisure. I can feel it on the top of the case and behind the motherboard. I've already trouble shot the other fans by turning them off one by one, the noise is from the stock CPU cooler.

A friend has suggested checking the four screws securing the CPU to the motherboard. Anything else I can try? Thanks for your time

Solution
It is very easy to miss getting the threads started in one of the four hold downs even when it feels like it has caught. Are you SURE that all four screws bottomed out and stopped turning when you mounted the CPU cooler?

It would probably be a good idea to remove the CPU cooler, clean the paste off the bottom of the heatsink and top of the CPU and physically verify that there is no looseness to the attachment of the CPU cooler fan to the heatsink and that the fan bearing itself has no slop or play when you gently grasp the fan blades and check for side to side clearance. Some small amount is probably normal, and there may not BE any, and still could be a bad fan. Keep in mind, these are low cost Cooler master fans installed on the...
Hey everyone.

Just did a computer upgrade about two weeks ago. I was having some vibration issues, and decided to finally do away with my HDD for an SSD. That has helped, but over the last several days my CPU (which is brand new) has really ratcheted up the speed. I've installed the app center for my motherboard along with the relevant fan control app. That and a recommended hardware monitor show my idle temps at ~32C so heat is not an issue.

Enabling smart fan systems has helped, especially on 'quiet' mode, but the issue is still present at boot and any time fan RPM passes 1200. It is a constant, high pitched whine audible through my noise canceling headphones. I am very easily distracted and this is impacted both my work and leisure. I can feel it on the top of the case and behind the motherboard. I've already trouble shot the other fans by turning them off one by one, the noise is from the stock CPU cooler.

A friend has suggested checking the four screws securing the CPU to the motherboard. Anything else I can try? Thanks for your time
It may be that the fan itself is unbalanced or there is some looseness in the bearings or some other related issue.
I have improved the balance on fans by adding and removing material.....by trial and error....but that's a pretty big pain and I wouldn't recommend it over just buying a new cooler.

It is very easy to miss getting the threads started in one of the four hold downs even when it feels like it has caught. Are you SURE that all four screws bottomed out and stopped turning when you mounted the CPU cooler?

It would probably be a good idea to remove the CPU cooler, clean the paste off the bottom of the heatsink and top of the CPU and physically verify that there is no looseness to the attachment of the CPU cooler fan to the heatsink and that the fan bearing itself has no slop or play when you gently grasp the fan blades and check for side to side clearance. Some small amount is probably normal, and there may not BE any, and still could be a bad fan. Keep in mind, these are low cost Cooler master fans installed on the Ryzen coolers, so it's not like it's impossible for there to be a manufacturing defect here and there.

If, however, one of the four hold down screws is not actually threaded into the backplate then it could definitely set up a nasty vibration while still potentially offering at least acceptable cooling with only three screws seated. It's definitely worth at least checking. Otherwise, it may just be a faulty cooler fan.

Solution
Feb 18, 2020

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I had a very knowledgable friend (Who has done this work in the past) install the new components for me, and when I did a quick check of the screws everything looked good. My army knife's screw head isn't long enough to really give a good turn test, so I'm getting a new driver tomorrow.

I do not have any paste on hand, so in the short term removing the cooler and cleaning the paste off has to wait, and I'm trying to build as many alternatives I can try in the meantime.

It's also not a consistent noise, which frankly is more annoying. Seems to be right around 1250rpm is the worst, but above or below that the vibration is substantially less audible, if present.

This is probably the best option, regardless of platform or what region you are in, in terms of performance AND low cost, if it is available where you are. There is really no other cooler that outperforms it for less than 30 bucks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $20.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-18 16:26 EST-0500

And the review of this cooler from our own Crashman.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460.html