AMD Says Nvidia is a Little Bitter Over PS4 Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The unified GDDR5 will surely help off-load tasks to appropriate hardware. PS4 won't blow anyone's mind but consoles rarely do anyways. It'll likely be almost half the price of a 680 alone anyways.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
yet if they got the contract, nvidia would say how the PS4 is revolutionary in gaming

price wise, u wont find a PC that can match the ps4 on gaming performance
most bang for your buck are consoles

Sure AMD could have built a powerhouse system with their latest PC graphics card technology, but no one is willing to pay $1000 for a console. Get real Nvidia, you're just jealous because you made a bad move.

AMD will sell more video cards now, and sell a boatload of CPU/GPU's to playstation for the simple fact that games will be more easily port-able to PC and possibly the Xbox. Developers can generate much more revenue from each game they develope because they'll be offered to more demographics or systems.

AMD is looking to retake popularity, and pull more developers on board. So it's worth to time and resources to develop for the PS4. That's how you overtake and sustain a business.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Nvidia said otherwise in the aspect that it wasn't in-line with their current goals. Yet, everyone knows it's quite the opposite when you lose a big contract/stream of income like Sony can provide.

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]It'll likely be almost half the price of a 680 alone anyways.[/citation]
Have you ever seen for over a decade a competitive console (especially the Playstation) to be launched with a price less than $400-500? I don't.
Do you think that at december GTX680 will cost $1000? I think with the arrival of the HD8xxx and the GTX7xx, GTX680 will have the fate of GTX480. After a few weeks you could find it for $260...
Also the Myth that consoles cost less, is just a fairytale for kids. The PC is a tool for many things, work, entertainment, educational, internet browsing etc etc. The only thing you can compare with a console is the gpu. Is your office desktop a gaming machine? I don't think so. But when you put it a $150 HD7850 or GTX650ti boost, it becomes a gaming machine far better than the ones you can buy today with consoles. Not to mention the prices of the games also...

AMD have unified the platforms with the APU, this will bring the benefits of developers and partnerships. Grow relations with Sony and Microsoft which are big money spinners and bring ancillory benefits.

The APU represents the most architecturally advanced microarchitecture and Nvidia doesn't have anything close to it so when MS and Sony shopped around they stumbled onto what is just hands down the most effiecient way to high end on die performance.

greenmachineiijh

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2005
No matter what platform you choose, it will be an exceptional experience and ALWAYS has been. You can not compare a gaming PC (or the hardware) to a console anyway. A console is dedicated hardware. No overhead, no OS, nothing to drag it down. And direct hardware access by the developers which is not possible on a PC.

Easy enough math...

windows rt failing in sales (surface rt is powered by tegra3), psvita underwhelming, apple monopolizing tsmc's 20nm node, amd getting off their lazy asses and improving gcn drivers, intel making a move to lock out discreet cards in the future, odms going for qualcomm socs instead of nvidia's - nvidia isn't just a little bitter. :D

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
nVidia was never in the running, so I don't know why they made the snide comments they did earlier. While they are great on the GPU side, they just can't make an x86 CPU. Something the developers were demanding. Nor a CPU with enough power to drive a console, at a reasonable price.

Its a simple case of AMD's technology was better than Nvidia's, but as usual there is all talk no action at Nvidia these days, it is why I took my business to Radeons, when Nvidia delayed and delayed Kepler just to see its opositions parts then made the claim that GK104 on the 680 was actually a low end part to replace the 560 but they held back is a complete cover story, its like saying the HD7970 tahiti is a lowend replacement to the HD6770.

It just reaks of Bitter

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
who is ready for the same driver issues that have plague AMD/ATI on the GPU side for almost 2 decades? NVIDIA knows how to opitmize. AMD knows how to duplicate and make bigger, but they dont know how to make drivers. Just run AMD GPU's on a Linux box to find out.

finitemight

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I really don't understand why nvidia would go so far as to commit brand suicide. The fact is that Nvidia became synonymous with the PS3, and by extension gaming, over the past couple of years. Having the Sony brand drop you, because of your stubbornness, says that you serve no essential purpose and are not needed especially in the MAINSTREAM GAMING UNIVERSE. For the next decade, or possibly longer, you will hear more and more about AMD in the puplic discourse and less and less about nvidia. Hell, it's called a GPU for a reason...

It was a stupid move, possibly even career ending for all of nvidia. God have mercy on their souls.

[citation][nom]de5_Roy[/nom]windows rt failing in sales (surface rt is powered by tegra3), psvita underwhelming, apple monopolizing tsmc's 20nm node, amd getting off their lazy asses and improving gcn drivers, intel making a move to lock out discreet cards in the future, odms going for qualcomm socs instead of nvidia's - nvidia isn't just a little bitter.[/citation]

the tegra 3 has npthing to do with it. the tegra 3 is in the nexus 7 which is selling well. they are not selling well because windows RT is nothing but a gimped version of windows

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
[citation][nom]sarinaide[/nom]Nvidia are also Jelly that they don't have girls with boobies doing their promo's[/citation]

I tried not to laugh at this but it was shrouded by the volume of my inner childs laughter.

Now if AMD can get their heads straight they'll be able to get back into the game and get some great R and D back to get more programmers on their side. Having the PS4 and possibly the xbox 720 (if rumors hold up) this should help AMD get their heads on straight and help programmers be able to utilize the bulldozer (vishera, Vishera 2.0, steamroller, excavater) chips optimized even greater for games. Come on AMD, keep the competition alive. Buy your stocks while they're still low ladies and gentz!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Very pathetic comments from nVidia.
Nobody expected 79xx level GPU in consoles.

[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]This would be a very exciting merger to see.[/citation]
Right, with help of nVidia, the well known x86 experts, VIA can sure take on AMD/Intel on x86 front.
/sarcasm

Note how Tegra 3 got spanked by the latest Atom on power efficiency, and that's a new market for Intel.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
[citation][nom]sarinaide[/nom]Its a simple case of AMD's technology was better than Nvidia's, but as usual there is all talk no action at Nvidia these days, it is why I took my business to Radeons, when Nvidia delayed and delayed Kepler just to see its opositions parts then made the claim that GK104 on the 680 was actually a low end part to replace the 560 but they held back is a complete cover story, its like saying the HD7970 tahiti is a lowend replacement to the HD6770. It just reaks of Bitter[/citation]

I hope we're going to start seeing the playing field level out. For the price difference of AMD's top offering and intels top offering is a great start, however they really need to beat the middle performance bracket of intels chips in order to stay relevant. I have only used amd systems since after my first PC (E-machines *shudder*) and have watched them be the first to try new technology. Now is the time for software to mature to be able to handle the modules properly and really see multitasking fly!

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]who is ready for the same driver issues that have plague AMD/ATI on the GPU side for almost 2 decades? NVIDIA knows how to opitmize. AMD knows how to duplicate and make bigger, but they dont know how to make drivers. Just run AMD GPU's on a Linux box to find out.[/citation]
You're looking at this wrong. When developers have a console, there is one platform, and one set of hardware to code for. Therefore, each and every game is made to work on the exact same hardware specs, OS, and limitations. On the PC side, there are hundreds of variables that drivers must take in to account and try and make everything compatible. When you also have multiple OS's, different CPU and GPU architectures and frequencies, RAM frequency and quantity, main drive type and speed, and so on, the PC starts getting complicated with everything having to be taken into account. It's also a problem of cause and effect where sometimes a driver update fixes one thing, but then that remedy breaks something else.

Two different platforms, one way less time and effort long-term for developers and driver coders to work with, and the other not so much. Maybe you also missed it, but Nintendo has had Radeons for years, and the Xbox 360 has had it as well, really no issues for GPU problems there because they're consoles. I'm just excited for the x86 architecture - finally the possibility of console games being directly native to PC and all platforms released on the same day.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
u may be having problems with the linux based systems, but on the windows 7 system, i havent had an issue with there drivers over 6 generations of cards, the only thing i did find on these most recent drivers is that i am able to OC my 7850 without any issues,
going back to the topic at hand, i will say that i have liked the price/performance with Radeon GPU's for years, but prefer intel for my CPU, but got to admit, my laptop is running a A8-5500 chip with a 7650gpu, wich i have to admit is able to play many games albeit at low to medium settings, but the PS4 system is to be far superior to this, so i am looking forward to seeing this console and also the new xbox, looks like it might be a better situation for all gamers, especially the PC sector

Status
Not open for further replies.