AMD Sells Radeon RX 570 As Radeon RX 580 2048SP

InvalidError

Titan
I despise the whole idea of reusing established based model names for materially different versions of the same product, especially when a product with practically identical specs (3% difference in core clocks in this case) already exists under a different name.

I bet the practice would be found to be illegal in many countries due to the confusion it causes in the market, which is why this RX570-580-2048-thingamajig is only for China.

Oct 1, 2018
This is exactly what Nvidia did with the 1060 3Gb. It's NOT the same card as the actual 1060 with 6Gb and just cut-down RAM.

It has only 1152 shaders instead of 1280 and 72 TMU instead of 80.

But who cares about that?

abtocool

Commendable
May 7, 2018
That is only for the time being. A little bit exposure on the net helps to keep it from coming to other markets.

One thing is clear, that it is wrong, and without goodwill here. (Nor am I a fan of Nvidia's policies). Also, why some people are surprised? The re-badging move (twice) by AMD is enough to prove that they are guilty of shady practices.

In India, in situations like this, there is a saying: "Imaan hi bik gaya hai in logoka" which roughly translates to "They have sold there Imaan".

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Releasing a GPU as "X with Y shaders" is nowhere near as disingenuous as releasing a GPU with the exact same name as another. Whilst I'm not going to defend AMD here due to the fact it feels like a rebrand within the same generation, the fact is it's essentially a faster clocked 570, and not at all like the RX 560 fiasco.

If they'd kept it the same name, and released a hungrier card, that'd be more of an issue.

InvalidError

Titan

What AMD did here is re-release a marginally faster RX570 re-branded as an RX580 "2048". That's BS in my book and worthy of all the harsh criticism hardware news site will dare throw at it - though most won't since that might hurt partner/advertiser revenue.

In previous AMD generations, slightly improved versions of an existing model were either designated as model numbers ending in '5' or with a letter suffix. In this case though, the 3% clock frequency increase over the baseline RX570 is inconsequential to most people (many board partners ship RX570/580 with larger factory overclocks) and definitely nowhere near worth elevating this RX570 anywhere near RX580 status. Barely worthy of being branded RX572.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Releasing a 570 as a 580 is a huge mistake. AMD should move to correct this and identify who made the decision. This is Intel-style thinking -- something that will not help AMD right now.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
This wasnt right when nvidia did it with the 1060, and its not right when AMD does it.

Come on AMD, you can do better. Even IF its only in china...this nonsense has to stop. Call it a 575 and no one would care, even if it really was a 570. Call it a 579 and i wouldnt care, but dont call it a 580.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
But they didn't do that, did they? They tacked "2048SP" to the end to differentiate it from other products in the stack. Based on some of the responses I've seen, it would've been acceptable to have used any number below 580, but even by applying a suffix to make it stand out from the rest of the range, people can't get past the 580 bit.

ron baker

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Many parents may be duped by this, if jilly says she wants an rx580 for xmas then they see this well priced .. even for Dragon year , this is despicable. At least here in the UK you might get it on your c/c and then send back ??

InvalidError

Titan

Probably because most people don't want to buy older models, so AMD is attempting to trick people into buying them with misleading rebrands making older/slower stuff look newer/faster than it actually is.

That's what you get from a stagnating duopoly. Product cycles are getting longer, so they're getting more creative with rebrands to fill gaps between product generations.

This is not the first time they did a rebrand though. The R9 280X was just a rebranded HD 7970GHz. The only new GPU in that generation was the R9 290 series.Typically they did rebrand older models as newer models. Sometimes process improvements did allow for increased clock speeds or RAM improvements allowed for faster RAM.

True, but at least they changed the name to a lower tier and came out with something new. Also, the RX 580 is just an RX 480 with higher clock speeds.

InvalidError

Titan

That's annoying too but at least it wasn't overlapping with an existing current-gen product the way the Chinese RX580-2048 (RX570) overlaps the actual RX580.