News AMD Sets Launch Date for Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
A ton of folks jumped on the AMD train with the 5000 series. Folks just aren't upgrading so soon. This generation AMD and Intel CPUs should be slow sales in 2023.

The most important issue affecting CPU and GPU sales is that games aren't demanding an upgrade! 2 and 3 year old CPUs/GPUs are still allowing for high res and high fps. Hardware is ahead of the software and it used to be the other way around.

Reactions: artk2219
A ton of folks jumped on the AMD train with the 5000 series. Folks just aren't upgrading so soon. This generation AMD and Intel CPUs should be slow sales in 2023.

The most important issue affecting CPU and GPU sales is that games aren't demanding an upgrade! 2 and 3 year old CPUs/GPUs are still allowing for high res and high fps. Hardware is ahead of the software and it used to be the other way around.

2011 hardware still kicking... I have here a xeon e5 2698v3 can match a 12900k :) but cpu cost 50 usd. Why spend tons of money if you can get a cheap chinese board, cheap twelve core (12usd) and cheap server grade ram...

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
I do not believe there is a single circumstance that any CPU on a platform that old will outperform a 12900k in any aspect that isn't only available on a Xeon.
People want CPUs inside their PCs to get the job done. It is not a showcase of "Muscles" or a "Fashion Show".
Benchmarks are useless, and not all people care about saving 30 minutes of compute time for $500, they can wait, we can wait.

Reactions: prtskg and artk2219

logainofhades

Titan

As a WoW player, I would disagree on demanding an upgrade. It is severely CPU heavy. Even a 5800x3d is quite the leap, over a regular 5800x. My RX 6800, more often than not, is waiting on my 5800x. I never reach full GPU utilization, at 1440p, on a 170hz panel.

Reactions: artk2219
People want CPUs inside their PCs to get the job done. It is not a showcase of "Muscles" or a "Fashion Show".
Benchmarks are useless, and not all people care about saving 30 minutes of compute time for $500, they can wait, we can wait.
I never said anything in these respects. I said the xeon e5 2698 v3 cannot match the 12900k in performance.

My new 2696v3 can turbo unlock 38x more 103fsb can do 3914mhz all cores. Single core is nahhhh but multi core shines and I pay 93us
Even then, the 12900k gets at least 25% more multicore performance. I am not saying you made a bad purchase, on the contrary, that is a great CPU for 50 dollars if that's what you got it for.

Can you humor me and DL Cinebench 23 and run it and post the picture of the results for multicore and single core score?

Last edited:

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017

I'm not one of them, I still have a 7700k with dual 980's; Every time i went to upgrade, 'something' generational was coming out; Whether it be DDR5 or PCIe5 or DP2; etc. I was about to jump on the 9750x but then i heard the 3d was coming out, so decided to wait once again. I think we are finally at the point where i can commit to building a new system;
9750x3d
Asus X670E-i (need the thunderbolt for a thunderbolt 10Gbase-t addon);
64gb cl30 DDR5
RTX4090 (i do work in AI so i need cuda)
Samsung 48" OLED G9 (when ever its available);
PCIe4 4TB (to start, i will get the PCIe5 drive when available; which will be dual boot windows/linux)
Loki ATX3 SFF-L power supply
Some Mini-ITX case

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
I'm expecting sticker shock on these chips, especially the 2CCD models as they would be great for gaming and productivity. Wouldn't be surprised if the 7950x3d launched at $899.

Reactions: helper800

rDigital

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
2011 hardware still kicking... I have here a xeon e5 2698v3 can match a 12900k :) but cpu cost 50 usd. Why spend tons of money if you can get a cheap chinese board, cheap twelve core (12usd) and cheap server grade ram...
My daughter plays Fortnite, Minecraft, Sims 4 and Doom Eternal on an Intel x3470(4c/8t) and a 970 GTX. Old hardware works for most people and most things.

Reactions: helper800
I'm not one of them, I still have a 7700k with dual 980's; Every time i went to upgrade, 'something' generational was coming out; Whether it be DDR5 or PCIe5 or DP2; etc. I was about to jump on the 9750x but then i heard the 3d was coming out, so decided to wait once again. I think we are finally at the point where i can commit to building a new system;
9750x3d
Asus X670E-i (need the thunderbolt for a thunderbolt 10Gbase-t addon);
64gb cl30 DDR5
RTX4090 (i do work in AI so i need cuda)
Samsung 48" OLED G9 (when ever its available);
PCIe4 4TB (to start, i will get the PCIe5 drive when available; which will be dual boot windows/linux)
Loki ATX3 SFF-L power supply
Some Mini-ITX case
7950x3d? 48 inch LG G3? All those parts in a mITX case will be rough for heat management unless you mean one of the bigger mATX sized mITX cases.

nimbulan

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2016

I've actually been thinking that the hardware demands of games have been increasing more over the past couple years than they have in the past. I've never before had issues with getting CPU bottlenecked down to nearly 30 fps with a 3 year old chip before this past year. Of course if you don't game at max settings, it's not going to be so much of an issue.

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I said "all those parts.";)
I have been following a YouTuber Optimum Tech, who does builds like these:
I think the key is that the 4090 exhausts out the back, not inside the case, so technically the cpu and gpu are in different heat zones.

Here is his mitx 4090 build with a 5800x3d; since the new chip is in the same power envelope, it should be the same results.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTwie1pxuro&t=2s