News AMD Sets Launch Date for Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
wow very impressive build. congratz if decide to do it

that OLED was on Linus TEch Tips latest video and Linus said it was the most impressive monitor he ever used. So that's something.
I wish i had you money lol. AI business pays well it seems

Last edited:

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
wow very impressive build. congratz if decide to do it

that OLED was on Linus TEch Tips latest video and Linus said it was the most impressive monitor he ever used. So that's something.
I wish i had you money lol. AI business pays well it seems
the AI stuff is just a hobby; Im just trying to learn how to train AI to clean up videos and stuff; It works really good for old anime; but now i want to see if i can train a AI to clean up old NFL footage by using new footage as a training tool; Problem is training a AI take days, sometimes weeks depending on the hardware. but again this is a hobby, if it was a business (ie cleaning up people wedding videos from the 70s) then i would probably have a big v100 server with several cards in it; or rent something on aws/google.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Curious to know whether DirectStorage v1.1 may diminish the graphical performance gain of 3D V-Cache. With DirectStorage v1.1 (and a NVMe SSD, dedicated GPU, and game supporting it), compressed graphical assets should be sent via system memory to the GPU, instead of to the CPU.

3D V-Cache should still be an improvement though, as it generally helps on the bridge from system memory. And I will likely upgrade to one of the CPUs with it. It may perhaps not be as huge a boost as before though, in the aforementioned context.

Wow, I think I will never undertsand people building such an amazing system (R9 still can understand people spending that much money on itx build
I'm not one of them, I still have a 7700k with dual 980's; Every time i went to upgrade, 'something' generational was coming out; Whether it be DDR5 or PCIe5 or DP2; etc. I was about to jump on the 9750x but then i heard the 3d was coming out, so decided to wait once again. I think we are finally at the point where i can commit to building a new system;
9750x3d
Asus X670E-i (need the thunderbolt for a thunderbolt 10Gbase-t addon);
64gb cl30 DDR5
RTX4090 (i do work in AI so i need cuda)
Samsung 48" OLED G9 (when ever its available);
PCIe4 4TB (to start, i will get the PCIe5 drive when available; which will be dual boot windows/linux)
Loki ATX3 SFF-L power supply
Some Mini-ITX case

I think I will never understand people building such a high performance and fantastic setup, and then try to vaseline fit all those expensive (and many times very good looking) pieces of hardware into the smallest itx case, to posible then hide it away so no one can see it (not saying this is your case). I have a headache just thinking what will happend if something needs to be tested or replaced lol.
Anyways congratulations on your posible future build, the jump in performance should be like a very hard kick in the "!#@$

I guess less than a month to know if the 7xxxX3D will be the new king of gaming. Not that I care too much since I live in Argentina, and its been at least a year already since technology is unavailable, or expensive as heck and a half.

Curious to know whether DirectStorage v1.1 may diminish the graphical performance gain of 3D V-Cache. With DirectStorage v1.1 (and a NVMe SSD, dedicated GPU, and game supporting it), compressed graphical assets should be sent via system memory to the GPU, instead of to the CPU.

3D V-Cache should still be an improvement though, as it generally helps on the bridge from system memory. And I will likely upgrade to one of the CPUs with it. It may perhaps not be as huge a boost as before though, in the aforementioned context.

We shall see how this work once we get any game support for PC. I guess is all up to the developers and how much preasure (or willingness) they have to be the first ones to implement this new feature.
DirectStorage is just one variable on the equation.
Even though a fast SSD should bring better results, no ones really know how fast the SSD needs to be to really show those better results.
We been hearing about this for years, so I hope we see it working sometime in 2023.

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
Wow, I think I will never undertsand people building such an amazing system (R9 still can understand people spending that much money on itx build

I think I will never understand people building such a high performance and fantastic setup, and then try to vaseline fit all those expensive (and many times very good looking) pieces of hardware into the smallest itx case, to posible then hide it away so no one can see it (not saying this is your case). I have a headache just thinking what will happend if something needs to be tested or replaced lol.
Anyways congratulations on your posible future build, the jump in performance should be like a very hard kick in the "!#@$

I guess less than a month to know if the 7xxxX3D will be the new king of gaming. Not that I care too much since I live in Argentina, and its been at least a year already since technology is unavailable, or expensive as heck and a half.

I mean my current machine is a giant water cooled monstrosity that weighs so much i cant even move it; This time i wanted something small that i can just hide behind the monitor and not even worry about it;

Reactions: RodroX

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
The most important issue affecting CPU and GPU sales is that games aren't demanding an upgrade!

Right. There's only so many hours developers have in a day. Taking advantage of the latest hardware requires tons of work on textures, models, etc.

The average developer has no time for that. The exception being the handful of AAA companies still left like EA and Activision.

At some point any PC was good enough for browsing the web and watching a video.

We are at a point where your average PC is good enough for playing 99% of the stuff on Steam in 1080p. In fact I am consistently shocked how many games on Steam run great on integrated graphics.

The average gamer does not care about 4k or a stupid looking raytraced puddle of water.

Last edited:

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
People want CPUs inside their PCs to get the job done. It is not a showcase of "Muscles" or a "Fashion Show".
Benchmarks are useless, and not all people care about saving 30 minutes of compute time for $500, they can wait, we can wait.
However, there are plenty of people out there that want to be able to say "I've got a bigger di-- erm... I mean, I've got a faster computer than you!" Benchmarks are an easy way to compare the size of that kind of thing (i.e. bigger performance scores).

As a WoW player, I would disagree on demanding an upgrade. It is severely CPU heavy. Even a 5800x3d is quite the leap, over a regular 5800x. My RX 6800, more often than not, is waiting on my 5800x. I never reach full GPU utilization, at 1440p, on a 170hz panel.
Originally being built on a nearly two decade old codebase probably doesn't do its CPU usage any favours. Would running WoW at 170hz improve your ability in game like it seems to for a lot of people in twitch response shooters? Or is it more of a "My display can push 170hz, I want 170 fps max settings or else!" kind of thing? Either way I'd want to max everything out and see 170 fps or else, because why not?

I mean my current machine is a giant water cooled monstrosity that weighs so much i cant even move it; This time i wanted something small that i can just hide behind the monitor and not even worry about it;
This might just be an indication that I'm lacking faith in humanity, but I'd be all kinds of worried about cramming $4000+ of computer in a tiny, easy to steal box and sticking it up on my desk in plain view from 3/4 of the room (which, in my case, is where "behind the monitor" is, ymmv). If a couple meth heads busted through one of my windows while I wasn't home, they couldn't walk off with some kind of water-cooled monstrosity requiring superhuman strength to move (actually, maybe they could, meth heads are all kinds of insane in the most terrifying of ways).

logainofhades

Titan
Originally being built on a nearly two decade old codebase probably doesn't do its CPU usage any favours. Would running WoW at 170hz improve your ability in game like it seems to for a lot of people in twitch response shooters? Or is it more of a "My display can push 170hz, I want 170 fps max settings or else!" kind of thing? Either way I'd want to max everything out and see 170 fps or else, because why not?

In raids and heavily populated PVP, I can drop below 60 , and experience noticeable choppiness. Input lag, especially in heroic raids, or 40v40 PVP, it can also be an issue. It's why I tend to avoid such things with my laptop, that is fine with everything else, with its 9750h and 1660ti. It can drop down in the 30's quite quickly, though. While I really want to fully utilize my panel, in regular outdoor content, at the very least, I need a significant boost to my min fps. It probably wouldn't be an issue if Blizzard would actually work on multicore performance, like they have claimed to. In BFA they made some changes, and it did help some, but not enough.

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
This might just be an indication that I'm lacking faith in humanity, but I'd be all kinds of worried about cramming $4000+ of computer in a tiny, easy to steal box and sticking it up on my desk in plain view from 3/4 of the room (which, in my case, is where "behind the monitor" is, ymmv). If a couple meth heads busted through one of my windows while I wasn't home, they couldn't walk off with some kind of water-cooled monstrosity requiring superhuman strength to move (actually, maybe they could, meth heads are all kinds of insane in the most terrifying of ways).

I think you just need to move.... or get a dog;

Its not going to be super tiny, I kinda settled on the NR200 case; Im going to try and fit 4 rads in there; There are much smaller cases, but unfortunately i ordered a strix 4090 2 months ago (still on back order) and that wont fit in most of the smaller cases; You need a FE with a special water block and i really dont want to try and return all the ek stuff i already bought.

urherenow

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
My CPU is about 8 years old. i7 4790 (not even the K version). 4th gen. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of performance boost, when I upgraded my video card to a 6900XT. In a stroke of luck (because they pretty much never sell components at the NEX), I ran into a stack of 4090 Founder's Editions on the shelf, at retail (and with no taxes), so I picked one up... only to find out that it was only marginally better.
Turns out that my ENTIRE SYSTEM is bottlenecking video card performance. From PCIe bandwidth, to Memory, to CPU. So, I for one, am jumping on the 7950x3d as soon as I can get my hands on one. Price be damned. Already have an x670E-PLUS TUF Gaming motherboard, 32GB of DDR5 6000 RAM, and of course, the RTX 4090. And an M.2 drive rated at 7200MB/s that people complain about benching closer to 6000MB/s... but my current SSD is more like 520MB/s, so I'm pretty sure I'll be pleased.

So, I for one, am jumping on the 7950x3d as soon as I can get my hands on one. Price be damned.
I am not so sure I would be first in line for these unless microsoft has lots of time to get the bugs worked out before the release You will find a number of articles that say there will only be the 3d cache on 1 of the 2 chiplets. This means you have a similar issue of pcore/ecore that intel has. What happens if you game process does not get placed on a cpu that has the cache you then pretty much just have a normal 7950. I am very much looking forward to the reviews but I suspect I will be more interested in the 7800x3d which because it has 1/2 the cores it has the cache on all of them.
In the longer run I suspect the 7950x3d will get top scores in gaming benchmarks but I would not trust them to have this issue worked out on release date.....now if they don't release until this summer then maybe.

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
The only MMOs I could get into were Runescape (now OSRS), 2moons (Dekaron) when it was released, and Dragonsnest in which I played the beta's and release a bit.
MMORPGS, gave them a shot once. Played the hell outta Ragnarok Online when it was in beta. It ran flawlessly on a single core hyperthreaded Pentium 4, which was the top of Intel's desktop CPU line back then. TDP for that single core was in the neighborhood of 80w.
Never got into WoW, found the idea of buying a game just to pay a monthly fee to be a bit too rich for my taste.