News AMD Sets Overall CPU Market Share Record as Intel Gains in Desktop and Notebook PCs

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
AMD didn't see all the Alder Lake benchmarks, I guess...
What kind of logic is that? Why should they lower prices if they still sell better than intel?

You mean customers did not see them, or more likely customers saw the benchmarks, but were not impressed and continued to buy Zen CPUs. That's what happened.

Plus all the other non-atractive parts AL has: more expensive system as a whole, missing lower end MBs until now, DDR5 with all the issues, Win11 necessity... All that vs the easyness for almost every AM4 owner to just upgarde the CPU on their current MB... how about those reasons?

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
What kind of logic is that? Why should they lower prices if they still sell better than intel?

You mean customers did not see them, or more likely customers saw the benchmarks, but were not impressed and continued to buy Zen CPUs. That's what happened.

Plus all the other non-atractive parts AL has: more expensive system as a whole, missing lower end MBs until now, DDR5 with all the issues, Win11 necessity... All that vs the easyness for almost every AM4 owner to just upgarde the CPU on their current MB... how about those reasons?

Actually AMD is bleeding in the desktop space, and up until now that is all that AL has been in. I expect them to start bleeding in the laptop space as AL hits laptops as well. That will probably continue through 2022. Zen 4 might reverse that in early 2023, but if Intel gets its new node online and Meteor Lake launched that might be short lived.

Server space is where AMD is currently strong, their client (desktop / laptop) offerings are really no longer competitive from a performance nor performance / price perspective. Until Intel can get Sapphire Rapids out the door in volume though, AMD will stay strong in server.

So really the next big fight will be in 2023, with Zen 4 architecture vs Sapphire Rapids servers / and Meteor Lake client. If Intel is able to get their new node online and Meteor Lake out in mid 2023 then I think we'll see AMD lose market share all over. That's a big if though, Intel does not have a good track record on getting new nodes online.

Reactions: renz496 and Why_Me

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Actually AMD is bleeding in the desktop space, and up until now that is all that AL has been in. I expect them to start bleeding in the laptop space as AL hits laptops as well. That will probably continue through 2022. Zen 4 might reverse that in early 2023, but if Intel gets its new node online and Meteor Lake launched that might be short lived.
1. Bleeding, yet as of today Zen3 still selling better than AL. When will they lower prices, who knows? Maybe only when AL actually occupies all the top 5 places of the best selling CPUs, if it gets to that, not just 1 out of 5, like it is now.

2. Correction, Zen4 will reverse this, not "might" and in Q3 2022, not 2023. We are much closer to Zen4 launch than intel fanbois want us to be...

removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
1. Bleeding, yet as of today Zen3 still selling better than AL. When will they lower prices, who knows? Maybe only when AL actually occupies all the top 5 places of the best selling CPUs, if it gets to that, not just 1 out of 5, like it is now.

2. Correction, Zen4 will reverse this, not "might" and in Q3 2022, not 2023. We are much closer to Zen4 launch than intel fanbois want us to be...

P.S. Love how that muppet likes all the pro intel posts. :ROFLMAO:

Some facts :
AMD Desktop market share Q4 2021 16.1% vs Q4 2020 19.3% a 3.2% decline in one year, while Intel went from 80.7 to 83.8% a +2.9% showing for Intel.
AMD Laptop market share Q4 2021 21.6% vs Q3 2021 22%, a 0.4% decline in the quarter, while Intel was +0.4%

These numbers are per Mercury Research.

So yes AMD has been bleeding market share in desktop most of 2021 and is now showing initial signs of bleeding laptop market share, which I think will get much worse when AL is widely available on laptops. Like I said server is where they are strong at, for now.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Some facts :
AMD Desktop market share Q4 2021 16.1% vs Q4 2020 19.3% a 3.2% decline in one year, while Intel went from 80.7 to 83.8% a +2.9% showing for Intel.
AMD Laptop market share Q4 2021 21.6% vs Q3 2021 22%, a 0.4% decline in the quarter, while Intel was +0.4%

These numbers are per Mercury Research.

So yes AMD has been bleeding market share in desktop most of 2021 and is now showing initial signs of bleeding laptop market share, which I think will get much worse when AL is widely available on laptops. Like I said server is where they are strong at, for now.
And like I said, on desktop they are still selling better than intel as of today. 4 out of top 5 best sellers are Zen3, only one is AL (from top shops BB, newegg, etc). Also facts, it was in the news a few days ago.

Currently 16 out of the top 20 bestselling AIO PCs on newegg are intel.
And BestBuy is a similar story.
Which is somewhat in line with this article where AMD sales are around 15-25% of the different markets.

Also 3 against 4 out of the 7 best selling CPUs on newegg are intel and all 3 of them are AL.
On bestbuy 5 out of the 5 best selling CPUs are intel, 3 of them AL.
Out of the top 10 there are 3 AMD cpus.

Jul 10, 2021
Seems like someone has been banned...

On the other hand, it's 2 weeks later, and more AL-M reviews are suggesting that battery life wasn't good on their H series at least for MSI's GE76 (performance was excellent though). This might suggest the arch isn't well optimized for low-power (<25W) operations, or not? Who knows because Intel still hasn't rolled out their P and U series which is the low power series.

I wish they would roll out these chips quicker since for Intel, R6k is really a big threat for them in the mainstream laptops because of these characteristics: good enough performance, efficient, and very strong iGPU performance that further extends battery life and reduces laptop price tags (since no more dedicated graphics for the performance ultrabooks).