AMD Shipping Desktop A4-3300, A4-3400 APUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this is going to be the longest week of the year til bulldozer (tentatively) arrives. I dont like this, I think AMD shouldve waited to make their APUs more mainstream when they had a more permanent socket.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]What is the TDP envelope on these? They might be naturals for cheapo HT boxes...[/citation]
65w... Figures it was right in front of me.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
you guys obviously don't recognize the benefits this is for a HTPC builder. It does 3D Blu-ray (if you want that) and has more than enough processing power if you want your HTPC to also serve as a file server. I probably would have gotten this over my Athlon II X2 Regor 240 which I paid $57 at the time.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]This will be good news, if the OEM's will actually use them...[/citation]

They sold 15M of APU so far. I guess OEM's use them..

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This would make an awesome Media server with such low power consumption. ATI has awesome bencharks in the blu ray quality tests.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
im an intel fan but i have to admit those apu cpu are only good for media server for their low power consumation but surfing to web and responsibility on windows 7 is kinda slow, i mean my ipad is faster and for gaming! my e350 cant even run wow at low resolution why they promote directx11 with what 2 fps with a decent game.

G

at last, the A8 and A6 were way too expensive, these on the other hand are the perfect balance, time to rock a HTP NAS box build me think

G

@srgess

........ you have a problem telling the difference between a Camry and a Yaris? let me key you in here, E350 is a 18w TDP chip, you ever tried running WoW on an atom? cause thats what the E series chips were aimed at

do all intel fans instantly associate APU with the lowest denominator? these are A series Llano chips (645w and 100w TDP) they are a complete different class form your E series chips

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]im an intel fan but i have to admit those apu cpu are only good for media server for their low power consumation but surfing to web and responsibility on windows 7 is kinda slow, i mean my ipad is faster and for gaming! my e350 cant even run wow at low resolution why they promote directx11 with what 2 fps with a decent game.[/citation]

I can't speak specifically for the desktop version of the A4-3300, but my recently purchased HP laptop with the A4-3300m has more serious gaming chops than I ever dreamed it would have.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

2.5GHz is a pretty big step up from 1.6GHz, and since I run a 2.8GHz Athlon II in my HTPC I can say that Windows 7 and web surfing are plenty fast. Also, the A4 meets the minimum requirements for WoW. It won't run at 1080p & high settings, but should be more than capable for people who don't care.

EDIT: This is assuming that the E, A, and Athlon series chips have a similar efficiency per Hz. I'd be willing to bet that the A series chips are more efficient.

quicksilver98

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]im an intel fan but i have to admit those apu cpu are only good for media server for their low power consumation but surfing to web and responsibility on windows 7 is kinda slow, i mean my ipad is faster and for gaming! my e350 cant even run wow at low resolution why they promote directx11 with what 2 fps with a decent game.[/citation]

Your also talking about a 18w processor, which was designed to compete with an Atom.. How well did you think it would play WOW? The upper end APU's play WOW fine like the A6-3650 and A8-3850.. Remember in computers things are generally purpose built. E-350 = HTPC and low power web-tops/net-tops.

This isn't all that great compared to the mobile versions with 240 shaders and the power consumption isn't great either. 2.5ghz base clock or turbo?

I got the mobile version and being a 35w sample things are looking better and overclocking is a breeze.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This isn't all that great compared to the mobile versions with 240 shaders and the power consumption isn't great either. 2.5ghz base clock or turbo?I got the mobile version and being a 35w sample things are looking better and overclocking is a breeze.[/citation]

Amen. I've got my A4-3300m stable at 3.0GHz with stock cooling (I have the back propped up for better airflow, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.