AMD Ships Radeon 4850 Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Exclusive - Taipei (Taiwan) - AMD's graphics team has put the finishing touches at its new GPU generation and actually has begun shipping the new 4850 card to OEM partners and retailers: The new Radeon series will sell for prices between $199 and $499.

AMD Ships Radeon 4850 Graphics Card : Read more

G

sick... just confirming that the gtx280 is going to win...

"the 4870 X2 will face stiff competition from the geforce gtx 260."

omfg... the gtx 280 should completely rape it then Now i'm psyched

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yes... stiff competition is the same thing as completely raping it...

Pricing and power efficiency are going to be right up there in my purchase decision along with performance.

G

jevon... according to you do you mean the 4870 X2 should rape the GTX 260... cause the way they word it, it implies that the gtx 260 will even beat the 4870 X2...

so elaborate please

Kari

Splendid
well I woudn't be surprised if the 4807x2 is 10-20% faster than the GTX280.. based on those 'leaked' vantage scores. I think this article focuses only on the prices. (and as we know nvidias chip is one expensive piece of silicon)

G

"sick... just confirming that the gtx280 is going to win..."

This is completely false. They are talking about competition based on price, not by performance. No one has any idea yet what the performance competition is going to be. I would hope the GTX280 would win, That chip has the same die size on a wafer as 3-4 R770 chips and will use more power than the 2 chip solution. If it doesn't win though.... bad news for nvidia.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
So does this mean that it'll be hard to get a 4870 early on? They said they plan to ship in volume sometime in the summer. I'm hoping to get one in early July....

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
[citation][nom]lx_flier[/nom]well the 260 is the lowend nvidia card so yes the 280 should rape the 4870x2 according to this article[/citation]

how is the GTX260 Nvidia's low end card? It would be better to be placed in the upper-mid category, Considering that it is relatively close to the price of 2 of ATI's high end GPUs. IMO from what has been seen with the vantage scores (not proven) is that the GTX-280 is not much faster than the GTX-260.

G

vantage is just that...

its a benchmark for cards... ati almost always does better in 3dmark and even if you score terribly... that doesn't mean that your system sucks or is only 20% better than a rival card when infact it could be much greater... its just that rival card might be better suited to the tests in the benchmark

Tommy2005

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Don't forget Nvidia is paying big game developers like EA to optimize their graphic cards. Just look at Assassins' Creed. ATI will not hold his place against Nvidia in majority of games. Even though it might score better in benchmarks.

Barzenak

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
I have been a fan of ATI for a while now. Even if they don't always have the fastest fps I have never had one fail and I have enjoyed excellent picture quality. I used to be a devoted GeForce user but I think after 2 dead cards I am done with them no matter the fps race.

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]thogrom[/nom]sick... just confirming that the gtx280 is going to win..."the 4870 X2 will face stiff competition from the geforce gtx 260."omfg... the gtx 280 should completely rape it then Now i'm psyched[/citation]

you must be really smart

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Rape it or not ... we have no benchmark in this article or from any other credible source! What is known ( or likely to be true) is that the GTX280 and GTX260 look like solid cards ( from architectural stream processor viewpoint and related frequencies) and might overtake the R700 architecture. But this is still just speculation. Anyway if you are not ridiculously rich root for ATI because TSMC might keep rising prices. What that means is Nvidia charges more and ATI charge more but ATI has the advantage because they start from a lower price point.

Tommy2005

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Tommy2005[/nom]It looks like hardcore gamers don't really care about price. I already know 10+ people ready to ship out 1800+ dollars for 3xGTX280 to replace their 3X8800Ultra. The people who are low at budge probably won't care and they are not that profitable for both ATI and Nvidia.Poor folk like me can only pick up the 8800Ultras they about to trash.[/citation]

Tommy2005

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
It looks like hardcore gamers don't really care about price. I already know 10+ ready to ship out 1800+ dollars for 3xGTX280 to replace their 3X8800Ultra. The people who are low at budge probably won't care and they are not that profitable for both ATI and Nvidia.Poor folk like me can only pick up the 8800Ultras they about to trash.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
cant believe you are buying in to this gtx 280/260 crap, i like ATI but the 2900xt was a hot running bit of crap and it looks like the 260/280 is going to be as well i would never put it in my system but what do i know i just like a cool running system. ha ha nvidia fans hope it smarts

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]lx_flier[/nom]well the 260 is the lowend nvidia card so yes the 280 should rape the 4870x2 according to this article[/citation]

Did I miss the memo where a card estimated to debut at $449 is "low end"?
Like Tommy2005, I'm mostly waiting for these new cards to launch so I can upgrade to an even cheaper current-gen card. I look forward to these new launches to also take advantage of whatever passes as mid-range these days. The $200 3850-512mb, when it debuted, was faster and less power consuming than my $400 x1950xtx I bought a year earlier (and still use... still a great card that gets me everywhere I want to go... but I really need to get around to getting my GF an upgrade from her 7800GT :p)
I figure this stage in the war is going to be more of the same. The highest end nVidia will ultimately have the fastest overall card, like they already do, so what?
Once the nVidia card ships, I figure ATI/AMD will drop the price as per usual.

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
That is insane that we spend $300-500 dollars on video cards. Not to mention CPU upgrades, water cooling, MB etc. etc. This is an expensive hobby.

Can't wait for the 4870 X2's!

hannibal

Distinguished
vantage is just that...

its a benchmark for cards... ati almost always does better in 3dmark and even if you score terribly...

Well the Nvidia cards have been much better than ATI cards in Vantage benchmarks. The 3dmark06 thought is different story. There Ati has the lead. All, in all the situation is the same as with games. Some games are better suited to ATI's gpus and other to Nvidia, same goes with benchmarks.
It's best to see wide variation of test and as someone said. Nvidia has very tight hold on gamedevelopers, so many game is tailored to Nvidia architecture.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
regardless of which card is faster, i'm just going to buy whichever one is going to be cheaper; probably the ATi. I'm not by any means a hardcore gamer, i just wanna be able to enjoy some of the newer games. 30-40fps is fine for me, so i don't need to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something like the GTX280. I'll be very happy with a 4850 :)

draxssab

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Tommy2005[/nom].... The people who are low at budge probably won't care and they are not that profitable for both ATI and Nvidia.Poor folk like me can only pick up the 8800Ultras they about to trash.[/citation]

Now you are clasifyng people in only two categories = Rich and poor, but it's not reality! there is peoples in mid-class (and most of the people are there!) and what about teen, pre-teens, that have a summer job? they can probably afford a 300$ video card, but the double? only hadcore gamers would (others probably prefer putting this into a car).

An by the way, i know that some people could spare all their money to buy the most expensive graphic solutions, but there is not much of them compared to other people

Status
Not open for further replies.