AMD Showcases Kaveri APU Performance at Computex 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrutalPigeon

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I really hope they will bring the TDP's down to 95W and still make 15-20% IPC improvments with Steamroller. That would be salvation for AMD desktop lineup...

BrutalPigeon

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I really hope they will bring the TDP's down to 95W and still make 15-20% IPC improvments with Steamroller. That would be salvation for AMD desktop lineup...

BrutalPigeon

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

BrutalPigeon

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So this won't come close to intel either...yawn. They needed 40% ipc or more. They needed to catch haswell. With the rumored specs it should have much higher perf, so the rumors are NOT true I guess.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Kaveri looks to be pretty promising. Looks like it should about match the performance of the APU in the Xbox One, though it may fall short of the PS4's APU. Console gamers wanting to switch to PC should be able to get a small mini-itx case and just run a Kaveri APU and still have both the performance and the small form factor of a console. If you want even more graphical power, you can always pair the Kaveri with a low profile or single slot 7750 for Dual Graphics, and still have a console form factor.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

its very likely this wont be anywhere near the xbox one performance. Id say its closer/equal to 360 or ps3, but the IGP surely wont match a 7790 even with a 7750 in crossfire. take tombraider performance as an example. the new a10-6800k apus get 34-40fps on lowest settings(1080p). the 7790 gets 39-44fps on ultra settings(1080p). AMD wouldnt do that massive jump in performance in any of its APUs. Much less if they need the next consoles to be successful.

sbudbud

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

So a 2013 cpu built on the latest AMD core architecture that is very similar to the cpu in the Xbox One, is going to be close/equal to a console that is 8 years old?
pass me the pipe and load up whatever you're smoking because it has to be medical grade.

Either you're a great troll of you should go to rehab

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
You say that, however I believe S|A proved that the 4600M used a third of the power of the 5800K yet still delivered approximately two-thirds its performance. Granted, a 45W APU would be more powerful (and I'm sure there's low-power inventory sitting around with non-functioning GPUs), but would it really offer much?

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

As far as I have heard, the 15 - 20% IPC increase is single threaded. Steamroller has a far more capable front end than Piledriver, so it'll be much better at multi-threaded workloads, as well.

All will be revealed in a few months. To be honest, if a 2M/4C Steamroller proved faster in most tasks (especially gaming) than a 3M/6C Piledriver, there'd be red faces all round at AMD. :p

There are also rumours that Steamroller is actually Excavator brought forward. I don't buy this.

InvalidError

Titan

If you consider all the effort that went into Haswell to achieve a ~7% IPC gain, a 20% leap on AMD's side in one iteration is a fairly large step.

While it may not bridge the gap between AMD and Intel, it does shave about 2.5 years off of it in one year.

hannibal

Distinguished

You have to take consideration that Kaveri is the first desktop APU that has GCN graphic architecture. The same that is used in kabini and all new AMD GPUs compared the old Cayman based technology that is used in Richland APUs. There is a guite a big difference in there!
Allso these are 65w prosessors vs mobile jaguar cores used in Xbox one, so they offer a guite bit more room for power usage. Much more than you can use in consoles. Those consoles has an advantage of having same memory to CPU and GPU, but kaveri should do the same, so it has some edge in there...

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Yes it would, especially a 55w TDP CPU. It wouldn't take that much when idle, just when all ALUs are being utilized.
Intel's Haswell's mainstream mobile parts start at 35W TDP and go to 45W (Haswell is 47W/57W), AMD shouldn't be afraid to increase peak power to increase peak performance a good 33% if they can increase clock speeds a lot.
Their current top end Richland mobile chip only runs at 2.5GHZ with 3GHZ Turbo which isn't any better than a bottom end Intel Haswell. They need to bump that to oh say 3.4GHZ constant/maybe 3.8GHZ turbo to be competitive with laptops.

Yawn is the your warped perception of where AMD and Intel are relative to each other but anyways I will let you stay in la la land the air is great up there.

Someone that has never used a APU laying claims to where Kaveri is likely to be, tut tut. If I sponsored you a APU setup you'd be amazed.

My guess is another ill informed person that has never used a APU in their lives but then again there are lots that actually think an APU is slow, anyways you can't make everyone happy.

Wait so you compared a mobile to DT, and then we come to the second conundrum so it uses less power but delivers unplayable results even if FPS are above 30FPS due to diabolical Frame Latencies. So yeah half the power, 48% higher clocks and crappy performance...like a game really gives a rats butt about power consumption and since thats the criterion you are basing it on then the APU shines like a rose and the HD walks away the craptastrophe it is.

wait what Haswell 7% IPC gains, more like 7% performance gains (if lucky) IPC doesn't equate to performance and so Haswell probably made no IPC gains. The best part of Haswell was that the 3770K and in some instances even the 2600K edges ahead, uses more power, runs hot but has a better iGPU that still suffers from unplayable lags.

If AMD make 15-20% IPC gains then I can assure you team Blue will start to fret a bit.

InvalidError

Titan

Sacrificing power for speed on battery-operated devices hurts battery life a lot.

On top of shorter life due to increased drain, you also lose effective capacity due to derating - the effective capacity of a battery is not the same when you drain 1A out of it as it is when you draw 3A. Depending on chemistry and build parameters, batteries can lose 10-50% of their rated capacity depending on how how heavy a drain is put on them. So, doubling battery drain may actually end up cutting battery life by much more than 50%.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
@InvalidError, that isn't valid because that is only if the cores of the APU are being fully utilized. At idle they won't take much more power than a lower end AMD APU.
Yes the power consumption goes up but the work done goes up as well, the work gets done quicker so cores can go back to sleep sooner. It's good to be able to rev up a processor when you need it to get some work done.

Status
Not open for further replies.