[SOLVED] AMD - slides/leaks/rumors/lies - X570 chipset?

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-x570-chipset-and-pcie-gen-4-support/

Questions this raises:

If chipset is gonna provide PCIe gen 4 support...doesn't that suggest Zen2 CPU's should also support PCIe gen 4 since the CPU to Chipset link uses PCIe?

If that's true...would it mean all CPU PCIe lanes are gen 4? as would be the GPU link. Could that mean PCIe gen4 capability at the GPU for existing AM4 motherboards?

Solution

That was always my understanding as well. 16...

For PCIe lanes provided by the chipset sure, but the 16 PCIe lanes to the GPU slot are provided by the CPU so the chipset shouldn't be a factor.

True we'll find out...but it's interesting to learn what the smart people might know.

PCIe has always been fully backwards compatible, and that's the way it's evolved. It was always intended to be extremely flexible that way. I can plug my ancient PCIe Gen 1 video card into my GPU slot and it will function...at Gen 1 transaction speeds...with my PCIe Gen 3 Ryzen CPU. Well, assuming Windows10 supports with at least basic drivers LOL

So by that logic a CPU that is PCIe Gen4 compatible would accommodate a B450 chipset with the Gen 3 lanes it needs and yet also accommodate a PCIe Gen 4 - capable GPU with the Gen 4 lanes it needs.

jwcrellin

Reputable

That was always my understanding as well. 16 PCI-E Gen 3 lanes will be equivalent to/replaced by 8 PCI-E Gen 4 lanes and vice versa. Current gen 3 design gpu's barely utilize/saturate 10'ish lanes so the performance shouldn't change much. I'm more interested in nvme bandwidth expansion and how that will affect ssd speeds.

Solution