PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I currently have a p4 2.8 fsb533 socket 478... the rest of the specs are in my sig. I am wondering if my newly acquired (for free) amd athlon 64 3200+ would be worth the $60 for a mother board and then the extra for a pci-express card since my current machine is agp. This machine would likely be my college PC that I take next year.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If I were in your shoes, I'd build a new PC and sell off the old one, or maybe not even sell it, keep it, depending on how many persons are in the household. :) But in your case, opinion, Yes!

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
i completely agree with you.. i have enough money to build a nice core 2 system (1000). The problem is that my father does not want me to take an expensive PC to college because i love to game and it may get stolen. so do you still think the 3200+ would beat my current p4 that clocks safely to 3.1ghz

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I am wondering if my newly acquired (for free) amd athlon 64 3200+ would be worth the $60 for a mother board and then the extra for a pci-express card since my current machine is agp.
If you're not into overclocking; this board is only $39 and has both AGP extention and onboard video:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-K8M8MV2

While this (the better option IMO) has a nice onboard GF6100 and PCI-e extension for just $47:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-K8N51GR

P.S: The S754 Athlon if I'm not wrong is 2.2GHz and (even OCable on the last board) should give the 2.8GHz P4 a good kick in the ass.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
It would, and it won't stop you from playing, whatever you decide. New games will be played probably good enough to attract you, but you know game addictions can the worst. You know people playing on CStrike, not only because of the trend, don't you? Well, CS can be played on P2 :). What about using 256 MB of video memory with some old ballistic or paranoid or similar? Age of empires 2, how many hours of lesson has it made friends of mine loose because they could not decide who won and would not save and go away.
My addiction happened with Heroes3, which required win9x and I kept dual boot for so long until I got my hands on a virtual machine (VirtualPC from Microsoft, WMware does not quite work with that, despite being better accelerated into everything, or maybe just because of that)

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Oh and by the way, I am going to be using this as a transition to PCI-Express so that when I transfer to a better intel system it wont be such a hit on my wallet.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
No!

semprons are total dogs by a oc board and run the p4 at 800+ bus and oc it 3.5ghz it will run nice!

way better then single core amd - bid time slow for any mult-tasking

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
No!

semprons are total dogs by a oc board and run the p4 at 800+ bus and oc it 3.5ghz it will run nice!

way better then single core amd - bid time slow for any mult-tasking
1-Semprons, especialy those with a 10X multi and above, are excellent OC-ers and roughly within 5% of an Athlon64....
2-Athlon64s are FAR SUPERIOR to P4s in gaming, especially Prescotts. Have a look at this to get a clear view: This is his Athlon 64 against the 3.4GHz (the highest clocked) Northwood :lol:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2005.html?modelx=33&model1=253&chart=71&model2=224
Now, if the 2.8G P4 is a Northwood, with a 95% probability, will not be very stable past 3.1GHz and will not boot after 3.2GHz. IF that is a prescott, you have to send it to at least 3.6GHz to match a Northwood and forget about keeping it on stock cooler.
On the other hand, 95% probably, the 3200+ will clock to 2.4GHz without requiring a vlotage increase, everything stock and give framerates that you can forget about even with a 3.8GHz P4 if it's a Winchester. A Venice core will comfortably sit on 2.6GHz, and since it has 1M of L2 will perfor more or less like a FX-55. So, before giving such advices, build yourself at least a modest cultural luggage or you end up giving the very wrong advice.

PJ101

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Umm socket 478 doesn't support dual core.. and the pentium 4 i have doesnt run for #$#@ overclocked, heats up like a fire. So in this case i believe the amd option kills intel..

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I had to search around. Get a

PC CHIPS A31G Socket754/761GX/PCI-E/A&V&L/MATX Motherboard for $40.

These guys seem to have a good reseller rating
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Compumusic

I got mine from newegg but they seem no longer to cary them in stock. Just in a bundle with a processor.

I have this motherboard and it's not the best but it does what it should. The AGP slot is limited and it does have trouble with newer AGP graphics cards but yours seems to be a viable one for this board. It has a PCIe slot so you can migrate up your upgrade path. When your ready to move on you can get a nice mATX case and make yourself a PVR or extra computer. It also has onboard video (really crapy but good enough for searching the web and such)

Just my thoughts.

I think there is also a Jetway nForce4 board that has both but it's not mATX.