News AMD Socket AM5 Renders Reportedly Expose Advantages over Intel LGA 1700

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Also, if it isn't already in the silicon there is zero chance they could add it at this point and still release this year. Testing and validation takes way too long. You don't just add things like that on a whim. You kind of set things in stone a couple of years in advance.

There's 0 chance AM5 desktop will go according to plan. DDR5 is nowhere to be found.
What ever will be produced this year will 100% go to laptop OEMs & new phones.

You might have a few kits here & there at crazy prices and computer memory is worthless when it's 500$+

There's also the stigma from the 1st chipset on Zen... That garbage 300serie that was abandoned after day1 release ! There's no way I'm jumping on this new platform.

If 13th gen(24 cores) still performs the same on DDR4 vs DDR5 I might jump over to Intel and ignore this DDR5 from Intel & Amd.

Reactions: Why_Me

InvalidError

Titan
Those converters likely require the same power management ICs that are causing the DDR5 shortage.
They definitely would, can't make those 1.2-1.35V out of thin air and DDR5 DIMMs only get 3.3V for SPD and 12V for memory.

By the time the PMIC gets smoothed out enough to make these boards for a reasonable price, it'll likely be cheaper to just get DDR5. Having 1" wiring stubs between the DIMM slot and DDR4 DIMM would most likely force people to run their DIMMs at sub-3GT/s for data integrity and +1/+2 command timing latency.

artk2219

Distinguished
Not a fan of LGA, ive seen more people ruin sockets than ruin cpus since in the past those socket pins took less force to bend, and you're more likely to drop something ON the socket than to drop the cpu in a way that horribly mangles it. That being said, theres really not a way around it, 1700+ pins is alot of pins to have actually on the cpu, keep those socket covers on and try not to drop the cpu on the socket from now on hah.