Question Amd socket cover

May 4, 2019
Hi. I have an asus am3+ motherboard. Its socket cover broke off. Does that mean it’s still functional or it’s beyond repair?

If the CPU retainer has broken, on an AM3+ board, then it's 99.99% likely the board is done. I am pretty sure those are not replaceable on AM3+ boards. You do not want to try to install a CPU and run it without a properly functioning retainer lock mechanism.

Hi. I have an asus am3+ motherboard. Its socket cover broke off. Does that mean it’s still functional or it’s beyond repair?
Here's a video of a guy disassembling and re-assembling AM3 socket. If your cover is broken into pieces, or parts are missing, you may have to salvage one off another broken AM3 board or simply buy a socket off Amazon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0JdrkzQJa0

If you break the tab clips getting it off don't sweat it, it will still work even though the cover is a bit loose. I've even seen one where the cover was broken into two pieces and it worked. Just be very careful of the pin sockets as they're exposed now.

Yes, it matters very much WHERE the retention mechanism is broken at AND whether you have a high level of handiness. If you don't, or have any uncertainty, you want to leave that to somebody who does, or just get another board.

I was going to suggest earlier that you might find broken boards that you can salvage replacement parts off of for boards where they can be replaced, on Ebay or local shops. Many repair shops keep broken boards and other hardware around to scrounge off of.

Looking more closely at these AM3+ boards I have sitting around I guess the retention mechanism can be replaced depending on what has broken. If you don't know what you are doing though, you could actually make the problem worse.