AMD spped diff. between 1.0 & 1.2 worth it?

G

I have an AMD Athlon 600 mhz chip...want upgrade to 1.x something. Is the difference in horsepower between 1.0 & 1.2
worth the cost difference?
Also which AMD chip should I get? Thunderbird?
Which MB?
Thank you!

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
my 2cents:

Go for the 1Ghz (A?IA blue core) and overclock. I've hit 1.33 with no temp increases and stable.

Get a mobo that'll support 133Mhz FSB. I've got an A7V133 and it works great.

Hope that helps.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In my opinion the price difference is not worth it. In theory the 1.2 is 20% faster in clock speed then the 1.0, but it is not 20% faster in performance.

If you plan on gaming, using a high end video card will make more of a difference then a 1.0 -> 1.2Ghz. If you plan on using a Gforce2 MX or lesser card, the card will limit the performance of the machine at either clock speed.

Get the 1.0Ghz. My opinion only.....

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

I recently debated the same decision and although I haven't made my purchase yet, based on current prices, I would go for the 1GHz instead of the 1.2GHz.

The price differential (approximately $50) simply isn't worth the extra juice. Additionally, the performance boost is only theoretical; in most real world applications, you probably will not notice that much of a difference.

As somebody else said, you'd be better off putting that extra money into some other component, such as a better video card, which will give you a more noticeable performance boost.

Or you can always save the money. :)

Peter

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get the 1.13 with the 266 fsb. You will find that from 1 to 1.2 not much difference but when comparing 200fsb to 266 fsb there is a real difference ( memory bandwith)

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!