News AMD Store's Anti-Bot Measures Are No Match For GPU Scalpers

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
AMD needs to sell their GPUs via Steam or Epic. Sell the GPUs on gamer storefronts where account age, number of games, hours spent gaming, and more can be used to distinguish real gamers from the scalpers and miners. Limit the purchases to a single GPU of any make/model per every 6 months. Nobody can beat the bots based on behavior alone. Leverage all those account metrics and gamer-focused storefronts to get the gaming hardware to the people who will actually use it for gaming.

warhorus

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
I know it's not a panacea, but I really feel like it would take a ton of wind out of the scalpers' sails if AMD, Nvidia, et al., would institute back-ordering on top of all the other restrictions. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a free for all every time there was a drop. If they had backordering, even if only enabled during drop windows, then everyone who couldn't get a card during the drop would get a card before the next drop the scalpers would gobble up.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Just stop buying from the scalpers. 100% guaranteed to stop this practice right in its tracks.
I think besides scalpers that bought dozens or more GPUs at a time, a lot of them were miners that bought for their (mini) farms. So in that case there would be no need for them to sell (not soon anyway).

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
" Just stop buying from the scalpers. 100% guaranteed to stop this practice right in its tracks. "

i see this or similar posted and mentioned a lot, too bad, its easier said then done

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Why they don't use CAPTCHA and its variant ? This technology already exist for a long time, and easy enough to implements using any language.

InvalidError

Titan
Why they don't use CAPTCHA and its variant ? This technology already exist for a long time, and easy enough to implements using any language.
There are CAPTCHA bypass services out there. The only people CAPTCHA will stop is people who cannot afford to pay someone else to solve them in bulk using either humans or AI models, possibly both to use humans to train AIs.

Reactions: renz496