News AMD Teases RX 6000 Performance: Big Navi Looks close to the RTX 3080

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
i expected around 2080ti performance, but this looks even more promising.

it's time to sell my 5700xt, definitely. i can use my backup rx480 for the time being.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Really wondering what it will look like for next gen games that are optimized for AMD because of all of the console work they have been doing. Seems like they may get a boost from it, but hard to say given they were already in the last gen. Either way, tightening the race is good for consumers.

hannibal

Distinguished
All on all... competiton at 4K resultion is real! And that is the most important part. The second is prising. 3080 msrp is reasonable low... but there Are almost none at those prices so 6900 can cost near that $700 and still be competative considering prising! Those $550 Are pure fantasy! Old 5700 was $400, so new 6700 will be near $400 and this 6900 is douple the size of 6700 so the price could Also be douple or more! So $800 is very realistick target price for this gpu. But then $700 3080 msrp makes that tight spot... even most will cost $800 or more.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

hannibal

Distinguished
If AMD really wants to win this generation, they'll make sure consumers can actually get a card.

if this gpu is in reality as good as these leaks shows and the price is even semi reasonable... TSMC can not make these enough to fullfill the demand! Its is just impossible. Just look how good new Zen3 is... amd is gonna sell tons of those and still there is more demand than TSMC ever can produse those. This big Navi will be halo product that has much bigger demand than there is production! I Expect that most people have to wait 2021 to get their Zen3. Same is true with big Navi. TSMC 7nm is really good node, but the demand will be so huge that TSMC would have to chancel all other busines partners and still it would not be enough... and TSMC is going to make other stuff than AMD Also in this and next year.

if this gpu is in reality as good as these leaks shows and the price is even semi reasonable... TSMC can not make these enough to fullfill the demand! Its is just impossible. Just look how good new Zen3 is... amd is gonna sell tons of those and still there is more demand than TSMC ever can produse those. This big Navi will be halo product that has much bigger demand than there is production! I Expect that most people have to wait 2021 to get their Zen3. Same is true with big Navi. TSMC 7nm is really good node, but the demand will be so huge that TSMC would have to chancel all other busines partners and still it would not be enough... and TSMC is going to make other stuff than AMD Also in this and next year.
If AMD had stockpiled the hardware beforehand, then the issue of supply wouldn't be as bad. But I don't think they did that (or at least, definitely not enough).

Sep 13, 2020
Looks good for the 6900 but things we do not know yet are power consumption and VRAM size. If AMD can offer the 6900 with 12+ GB VRAM and less power consumption for 650$ then this would be serious competition for the RTX 3080.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The best news here is AMD is posed to put out something at least competitive. Sure it’s not up near a 3090, but that’s also a halo card.
If they can get something 3080 level out by late next month it might ease demand on Nvidia cards in the near future. Meaning those that actually want them can get them and the scalpers have less incentive to keep trying to corner supply.

Reactions: Memnarchon

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hell if they drop in December with actual real feasible quantities, and their site launches with a captcha....to some degree Amd could claim they launched their next gen line first.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
All on all... competiton at 4K resultion is real! And that is the most important part. The second is prising. 3080 msrp is reasonable low... but there Are almost none at those prices so 6900 can cost near that $700 and still be competative considering prising! Those $550 Are pure fantasy! Old 5700 was $400, so new 6700 will be near $400 and this 6900 is douple the size of 6700 so the price could Also be douple or more! So $800 is very realistick target price for this gpu. But then $700 3080 msrp makes that tight spot... even most will cost $800 or more.

I disagree.

Of the 3 benchmarks they put forth, two were 8% slower than a 3080. Amd ray tracing will be considerably slower.

This puts AMD in the same position of the vega 64 and 1080 a few years back. $600 maybe against a $700 3080. $550 and they will sell well. 8% slower might be going up against a 3070. And 3070 will still have superior rt and up sampling dlss. You usually put your best foot forward when giving benchmarks. 8% slower on two of three is discouraging.

Im not impressed. (And i own a 5700xt). I was expecting a virtual tie against the 3080 with about $50 to $100 cheaper due to lesser upsampling, rt, and mind share.

To be honest amd has very tight foundry constraints for xb ps and zen. Something tells me these will be in tight supply and they will sell for high amounts to amd enthusiast until supply levels out post christmas.

At best these will be a curiosity niche till after xmas.

Last edited:
I disagree.

Of the 3 benchmarks they put forth, two were 8% slower than a 3080. Amd ray tracing will be considerably slower.

This puts AMD in the same position of the vega 64 and 1080 a few years back. $600 maybe against a $700 3080. $550 and they will sell well. 8% slower might be going up against a 3070. And 3070 will still have superior rt and up sampling dlss. You usually put your best foot forward when giving benchmarks. 8% slower on two of three is discouraging.

Im not impressed. (And i own a 5700xt). I was expecting a virtual tie against the 3080 with about $50 to $100 cheaper due to lesser upsampling, rt, and mind share.

To be honest amd has very tight foundry constraints for xb ps and zen. Something tells me these will be in tight supply and they will sell for high amounts to amd enthusiast until supply levels out post christmas.

At best these will be a curiosity niche till after xmas.
I mostly agree, but I really don't expect RTX 3070 to be anywhere close to 3080 performance -- Nvidia is saying RTX 2080 Ti levels of performance, which is basically 25% slower than a 3080. Considering it has 8GB VRAM and it's GDDR6 14Gbps clocks instead of 19Gbps, that's a huge drop. Plus, 5888 vs 8704 cores, running at presumably similar clocks. Based on what AMD is showing, there's a good chance the RX 6900 XT easily beats the 3070 -- at least in non-ray tracing performance. The RX 6800 XT will be going up against RTX 3070.

My bet:
$550-600 for RX 6900 XT
$400-450 for RX 6800 XT
$300-350 for RX 6700 XT (next year)

Basically, due to lack of DLSS and slower RT performance, I think AMD will undercut Nvidia by $50-$100 at the 3070 level, and $100-$150 at the 3080 level. Or maybe not! RX 6900 XT is expected to have 16GB, and 12GB for the 6800 XT, so likely closer pricing on those parts rather than going after a more budget friendly offering. Also, there's a very good chance AMD will come out ahead on power this round. I mean, 320W and 350W is pretty nuts. Maybe it won't win vs. 3070's 220W, but I'd be very surprised to see AMD go beyond 300W on the 6900 XT.

Honestly, ray tracing is still not something I really care about right now and I feel like it doesn't add enough to games to be a compelling reason for me to choose Nvidia over AMD. DLSS 2.0 on the other hand is an actual compelling reason for me to choose Nvidia again for my next GPU upgrade. I was originally going to get the RTX 3080 before the reviews, but 3080 uses far too much power. So now I'm much more likely to buy an RTX 3070 over RX 6000 or wait to see if it gets a refresh in a year like the 2070 Super. If the 3070 does get a refresh, maybe it will have GDDR6X.

This will be gen1 ray tracing for AMD, so perhaps it can match Turing, but we doubt it will be as fast as Ampere.
The overall RT performance of Ampere appears to be only slightly improved over Turing, at least relative to available rasterized performance. If enabling RT on Turing causes a 50% hit to frame rates, then the performance hit on Ampere will still be around 45% or so, so not much seems to have actually improved there, aside from the overall performance level of the cards that are supposed to be available at each price level. If AMD were to match a similar performance hit as what the 20-series cards saw, then they should be competitive with the 30-series as well.

It is also possible that each architecture might be faster at some effects and slower at others though. Perhaps AMD's cards might perform better at raytraced reflections, but not so great at shadows, for example. Or maybe effects will look a little better on one card due to differences in something like noise-reduction. And if one company's upscaling tech causes more of a performance hit for a similar quality level, that might be relevant too. There could also be differences in CPU utilization. The base performance numbers in a particular game by themselves might not tell the whole story, so a detailed analysis will likely be necessary.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
These are definitively the cards to go, the RTX features can go elsewhere, I already got bit by PhysX and cheap hair effects before. They also have better open source out of the box drivers for Linux applications or third party use of the GPU on any operating system.

Jim90

Distinguished
If you remember the Zen2 announcements, Lisa teased us with the possibility of a 16 core desktop part (physical space for a 2nd chiplet) - before 3950X reveal.
They're playing the same game here - that demo was not their top end big navi ;)

subZEROx264

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2014
RX6900XT with 16GB vs 3080 with 10GB, if RX sells at the same price it will be a disaster for Nvidia :D

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Upscaling is fake resolution , I dont care about Nvidia upscaling at all. Raytracing is cool to have but not a must .. IF AMD prices their card right I think AMD could win over untill the RTX 3xxxTi cards come ...

More over , I think that AMD could outperform RTX 3080 if they release a 350 watts GPU...

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I don't think the shown performance was from the topmost card!
There are several reasons:
  1. AMD never seems to start by showing off the best if there's more than one. (They didn't start by showing the Ryzen 9 5950X, but the 5900X.)
  2. They won't give Nvidia that much time to see the actual competition before the official presentation on the 28:th.
  3. They're unable to show the performance of the release cards because the clocks, power limits and voltages haven't been finally decided on yet.

... rumored 20GB 3080 ti is almost a reality.
Just like the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 are almost realities when you visit a store to buy one off the shelf...

I don't think the shown performance was from the topmost card!
There are several reasons:
  1. AMD never seems to start by showing off the best if there's more than one. (They didn't start by showing the Ryzen 9 5950X, but the 5900X.)
  2. They won't give Nvidia that much time to see the actual competition before the official presentation on the 28:th.
  3. They're unable to show the performance of the release cards because the clocks, power limits and voltages haven't been finally decided on yet.
Just like the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 are almost realities when you visit a store to buy one off the shelf...
Their reveal of the last generation hardware (or current generation until next month?) showed performance numbers for the 5700 XT. Similar story with the Vega 64 reveal.

Your Charts assume that's the 6900XT, what if those figures turn out to be from the 6700XT?

How will your analysis change?
Obviously it would have to change if AMD has a far lower cost card that can come close to Nvidia's $700 card. But be real: Not. A. Chance. This is the top model RX 6000. It's 80% faster than RX 5700 XT. I just can't see that happening with anything less than the 5120 shader core model. Especially since you don't get perfect scaling of performance -- the RTX 2080 Ti for example has twice as many cores as the RTX 2060 Super, and yet it's nowhere near twice as fast. (It's 50-70% faster, at 1440p and 4K, depending on the game and settings used.) Considering we expect the 6900 XT to have 16GB of GDDR6, but still on a 256-bit memory bus, even an 80% improvement over the 5700 XT is damn impressive.