Question Amd Temp fluctuation

Pricklypine

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
so i literaly build a computer like 2 days ago been monitoring everthing to make sure its running smoothly. i am a bit concerned about a couple of things though. my idle cpu voltage is like 1.2-1.45 i think thats a bit high i updated the bios and it went down to about 1 volt. but with the smallest loads itll jump right back up to 1.4ish and will sometime stay there. should i be concerned about that? also my temps are acting like a step latter. itll go up to 60c slowly drop to roughly 55 and the go staight up to 60 again. and it makes my fans ramp up. also the work load when this is happening is only about 13% on average but ive mainly just been down loading stuff. work load does not fluctuate with the temps. is there something i need to do or is it normal?

so i literaly build a computer like 2 days ago been monitoring everthing to make sure its running smoothly. i am a bit concerned about a couple of things though. my idle cpu voltage is like 1.2-1.45 i think thats a bit high i updated the bios and it went down to about 1 volt. but with the smallest loads itll jump right back up to 1.4ish and will sometime stay there. should i be concerned about that? also my temps are acting like a step latter. itll go up to 60c slowly drop to roughly 55 and the go staight up to 60 again. and it makes my fans ramp up. also the work load when this is happening is only about 13% on average but ive mainly just been down loading stuff. work load does not fluctuate with the temps. is there something i need to do or is it normal?

System configuration would make it helpful to comment knowledgeably. CPU...Motherboard...cooler. That kind of stuff.

But on a guess that it's a Ryzen 3600 processor... yes. It's perfectly normal. Ryzen 3000 will bump up voltage to as high as 1.5 V during lighty, bursty loads. And temp will spike up there too but drop back down as the load passes.

The temp spikes aren't anything to worry about, they have very little actual thermal input. It's the base that you should watch to know what the real temp situation is. Adjust fan speeds to ignore the spikes, if that's a concern. I adjust my fan to a speed I can barely hear up to about 65C then start ramping up to 90% at about 95C.

Last edited:

Pricklypine

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
System configuration would make it helpful to comment knowledgeably. CPU...Motherboard...cooler. That kind of stuff.

But on a guess that it's a Ryzen 3600 processor... yes. It's perfectly normal. Ryzen 3000 will bump up voltage to as high as 1.5 V during lighty, bursty loads. And temp will spike up there too but drop back down as the load passes.

The temp spikes aren't anything to worry about, they have very little actual thermal input. It's the base that you should watch to know what the real temp situation is. Adjust fan speeds to ignore the spikes, if that's a concern. I adjust my fan to a speed I can barely hear up to about 65C then start ramping up to 90% at about 95C.
thank sorry i meant to put the products in there, it is a ryzen 7 3800x with the asus tuf x570 board and with the nzxt kraken x72 thanks for lighteninig my worries!!!

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I have a 3700x on an Asus X470-F with a Scythe Ninja 5 cooler and I my CPU idles around 30-32c and maxes out at around 60c after hours of gaming (My ambient temp is 21-22c).
Your Kraken X72 should let you get similar temps.

I suggest you install the latest AMD X570 chipset drivers and use the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan with the minimum processor state set from 5% to 20% and the maximum Processor state set at 100%.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570
Also update to the latest version of Win 10 if you haven't already done that.

PS
Do NOT run more than 1 monitoring app at a time or your usage and temps will spike a lot.
Ryzen Master and HWInfo are the most accurate for Ryzen 3000 CPUs to date.

.... with the nzxt kraken x72 thanks for lighteninig my worries!!!
Yeah, i get the temp spikes with the 3700X under my CM ML240 too. The Zen 2 boost algorithm is very aggressive and boosts very high with a high voltage to be stable in an effort to retire the processing load and return to idle. The temp spikes come with that, but they're very short lived and involve a very tiny area of the CPU and so add very little thermal input. It's a bit like lighting a match in a room right next to a thermometer, the temp pops up really high but also drops away quickly as the match burns out but the rest of the room never really felt it.

If the load stays around, and especially if it involves a lot of threads, the algorithm lowers both clocks speed and voltage to keep temperature in check.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999