AMD ( the world's most powerful pc processor )

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

I have a ASUS K7M w/SB Live and TNT2 with WIN ME as well
Yes, when is Nvidia's new Mobo Chipset coming out?
Do you have any info to share on particulars of the K7M?

Super Fancy Splendor - Script Here

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Been there, done that. I used to recommend the AMD chip to everyone, as I hated Intel for overcharging. But my experience changed my mind. My AMD/VIA never worked right. After several months of trying to use incompatable hardware, then replacing it for compatable stuff, I still could not get it to configure properly. So I became an expert at it, and finally made everything work. After that, I would still get data corruption and have to reload my hard drive every 2 weeks. Sometimes it would crash just sitting there.
I am hearing amazing things about the ALi MAGiK 1 chipset now, like zero PCI device compatability problems. Could this be true? I might even build one. Then again, owning a perfectly adequate PIII system, I might just wait for something even better. I've always liked underdog companies, and use K6-2's on a lot of my refurbs (on an Intel chipset), but this whole VIA thing has left me a little jaded.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
there is a reason for that...

Flame first, logic, reason, & thinking all comes MUCH latter (if at all)

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Now if we could only get Intel to make a chipset for AMD - that would be a hell of a setup.

Intel would probably cripple the chipset so it'd make the AMD look bad. Course, I would too.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

G

Ditto, almost. Been given the responsilility, great just what I want,,,,,,,,,,[-peep-] happens aye...lol

~OMG IT nearly melted, lucky I had the extra fan *inside* ~

G

Flame = Heat! rofllmao....

G

Hey be ya self and see. lol MP is the future!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
you are very cynical for a young guy! I'm not saying you are wrong, but very cynical! LoL

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, as as mentioned in another thread around here somewhere, Intel's P4 DDR chipset will only support PC1600, not PC2100 or PC2400.

If that isn't crippling the chipset to help out their buddy Rambus and cover their own butts, I don't know what is.

And by the way, I haven't had any problems with my AMD/VIA computer. Could be luck, could be that I'm just good, but the truth of the matter is, angry people are more vocal that happy people.

That doesn't mean AMD/VIA is more stable than Intel/Intel, but it does mean that AMD/VIA isn't a sure path to hell.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
The VIA chipset does suck for servers.
I have been building home made servers for 7 years and the AMD Athlon server’s are nothing but trouble. It’s not the AMD CPU or the cooling issues, it seems to be mainly I/O problems with some electrical issues.

AMD/VIA workstations are no problem though.
I use 4 1.3 and 1.4GHz AMDs. They render 3D and convert video for weeks strait. Whenever they aren’t processing data they run SETI. 100% CPU utilization and they stay up for months strait.

Oh, and they also finish their 3D jobs on an average on 4 days sooner (per system) that the 2 P4 systems we have! Even though all 4 AMD systems were cheaper that the 2 Intel System.

-Chris is sick of expensive Intel CPUs.

AeroSnoop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I stopped posting here a while ago because of the ridiculous flaming here. I don't understand why everyone has to take everything so personally here.

I just wanted to say that you have the attitude of someone I would very much respect.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
nice reply toejam.
considerate, listening to others opinions, preventing ones ego from getting offended :)

we need more of that.
shame about all the problems with the athlon. some peoples systems run fine, others dont.
i always have a few teething troubles, regardless of who makes it.
1 bbc, 1 ibm 4 intels & 1 amd so far.

P.S. My Hamster says "hi!".

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

G

HHAHA yeah even though they lose to intel in benchmarks...hahah they are the most powerful...IN THE WORLD...AMD CHANT AMD AMD AMD AMD AMD AMD AMD