AMD Thermal protection problem...

G

Pentium III 850- $179
Thunderbird 850- $102

Which one is faster? Well I know I can overclock my Tbird to near a ghz with 140mhz fsb.... so probably the Tbird..

Now, the difference between these two processors...
1) Tbird is faster
2) Tbird has thermal protection problem/intel doesnt..

and a few questions...

1) Do you consider yourself computer literate? Able to build your own computer, and performs functions as such?
2) Do you think you can properly install your HSF with thermal grease, and make sure air is circulating through your case?
3) Can you get a motherboard (for comparatively the same price) which has built in thermal protection for the processor?
4) Would you pay 70+ extra dollars to solve a problem that any computer literate moron could solve?

feel free to reply... mainly people who have an issue with AMD's thermal protection "problem"

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
But Intel has Thermal Protection! And AMD does not! And, and, and AMD does not have thermal protection!. And Intel does!

I guess that says it all. What an argument......

G

you forgot that AMD does not have thermal protection
but Intel does,
and and ,, did i mention AMD doesnt?
Ohhhhhh and btw intel has thermal protection

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

dhlucke

Polypheme
Now I think a beginner can start with AMD. What's the big deal putting a HSF on?? Granted my first pc was intel, but the second one I built was an AMD.

What is there to be worried about? Either you've done your research and your ready, or you're not...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

G

The only difference between the two is that you have to pay closer attention to putting the HSF on a T-bird properly. Aside from that, both companies products assemble with the same level of difficulty. I would recommend AMD to a novice. I do think AMD should ship all their tray processors with a little piece of paper that has the URL for AMD's document on properly installing a HSF. Maybe resellers should do it just to cut back on returns.

G

i did recommend amd to a novice, and she installed it all herself, and its running sweet, and now she's my gf.

true story.

the moral here is "recommend amd to women, they will sleep with you"

hey....i can modify that for my new sig...

Smoking is a major cause of statistics.

G

here we go...waddaya think??

AMD. It gets you chicks.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Lol! I'm not sure if AMD will agree with this slogan! but what the hell!

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

but if its hot, and you sleep with someone, it gets uncomfortably sweaty.

sex is better when its cold, cos its free heating :)

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

charming.......

AMD. It gets you chicks.

G

You all morons makes me laugh, just like what my lecturer used to say.

"when I want to get a laugh, I mark your reports"

This is really funny,,, keep it up guys! :)

Best regards
cx5

G

You hope your son is horny at 14?

That sounded very weird

Wusy--
Do us a fav and beat yor meat and calm down =P

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My son WILL be horny at 14. We all were (are?).

Wusy seems to be a very bright kid, good sense of humor, and a cute kind of innocence when it comes to matters that are beyond his maturity.

It was a compliment.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey, I've seen AMD boards with warning on them it;s was on TGH maybe a few weeks ago, and I've seen vendors dish out durons without labels and sh!t.

I agree, it should also be on the cpu.

also, imho and experience the same amount of prep, precautons and general awareness goes with setting up any kind of mb+hsf.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

how the hell did this thread get to cum and freezing it? jeesh.... hehe... well is it just me or did pretty much everyone agree with me? Intel are good processors, and so are AMD, but right now AMD is just better price/performance.... so has everyone pretty much agreed that this really isnt a problem that isnt easy/worth solving?

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Thats not very logical your advanced cause yer not afraid to fry yer chip or crush it ... Im sorry dude but a computer is a real investment not to be taken lightly. You shouldnt have to replace componets, in my opinion if you fry your chip or crush it, its not saying yer advanced its saying yer incompetent and unknowledgeable. Its not hard to put a computer together Intel or AMD just follow the instruction, geeze how hard is that?

Oh and the thermal protection thats like buying a car without a oil gauge ... sorry man i want to know when the cars gonna seize!!!

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well Spud,

What happens if you lose your anti-freeze while driving? By the time the "idiot" light comes on its too late - engine is warped.

Of course, there are a few select models of cars that offer overheat protection in the event of coolant loss. You can drive them dry up to 50 miles without damaging the car.

So when are you selling your car and buying one with thermal protection? Why would you be so concerned with thermal protection on a $120 component (cpu chip), but not on a $25,000 car?

What is the hottest running chip around? The P4. It cannot use ANY cooler made for the Athlon or P3. It will fry. The required cooler is so big and heavy it must be bolted to the case! Run a P4 without a fan and it will pop, sizzle and fry.

Any P4 owners want to disable the fan for 30 minutes and let us know how well the chip is thermally protected? <font color=red>DISCLAIMER - I am not responsible for any damage to your PC.</font color=red>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Ok here's my deal. I can buy a T850, and at least 4 cases of Corona to go along with it. Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex play REALLY smooth on a case of Corona.

Oh yeah, as far as the heat issue, I can buy a Fop38 and 80mm fan along with the cpu and beer. I keep cool, the processor keeps cool....it's a win/win situation all the way around?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
But that is only a 500, and a Katmai, which as I remember is a .25 process, which should be more durable then a more modern .18 chip.

I wonder what would happen to a 933mhz PIII? I'll bet the P4 fries if the HSF fails. Any P4 owners willing to give it a go?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's like saying you'll starve if you don't eat!

yeah what happens when you crash your car?

the Intel equivalent of a yr2000-01 car will most likely come with airbags, it will save your a$$.

the AMD equivalent of a yr2000-01 sh!t car will have none and most likely fry and disintegrat on impact at low speeds!!!

do you have to die because you saved a few bucks?

AMD's car has the wheels on right but the nuts are loose! make a turn and the wheels will fall off!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
You have to admit guys the way he worded it is very funny

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bigguy, you can only get into BIOS without fan on P4. you can stay in bios forever if you wanted. machine will no boot without fan installed on i850 mobo.

If the HSF faled on a P4 the CPU will shutdown, no BIOS intervention needed. For intel its not harmfull to test this scenario but with AMD I doubt anyone is stupid enough to test the mobo shutdown =)

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD chips do not have any thermal protection, although the manual says it does. but you can have a decent motherboard with a thermal sensor (almost all of them have these days) with a monitoring software that allows you to set limits on cpu temp and warn you or shutdown the system if it exceeds those.

tbird is certainly faster than p3, but what has thermal protection issue to do with performance? of course a heavily loaded cpu (like playing quake3) will increase the risks, but i guess that could be managed with a high quality HSF, or some active cooling mechanism. its certainly cheaper than 179 - 102 = $77! besides overclocking potential of athlon is worth considering.

btw who is the given questionaire for?
my Duron 600 ran upto 62 deg celcius, with its pressure resist pads on, i removed them and installed the HSF on the cpu, WITHOUT crushing the core, and now it rarely runs past 45!!! interesting? sure it is.

regds :)
girish

die-hard fans, do not have have heat-sinks!