AMD Thermal protection problem...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No one dies when a computer crashes.

The point is we all know there is no thermal protection in AMD chips. However, if you assemble the system properly, there is no need to worry about it overheating. Period.

For a safety blanket, the use of Motherboard Monitor and Shutdown gives the equivalent thermal protection to anyone who wants it (AMD or Intel).

So stop beating the topic to death. What will you do when AMD does incorporate thermal protection? I guess there is always Cyrix....

By the way, that was a funny post.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would never operate my T-Bird without a fan. It would be damaged. We all know that.

But when the day comes that you can afford to buy a P4, please boot it into Windows (or whatever OS you have), then disconnect the fan. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Let us know if it survives. Any P4 owners out there game?

dhlucke

Polypheme
IN CONCLUSION:

Buy an AMD since it will get you chicks, and make sure you use a peltier while having sex so that you can create popsicles...

<font color=red>This is a forum, not a chat room. You aren't going to find a date here.</font color=red>

G

*laughs uncontrollably*

you guys, god damn you're a funny bunch of bastards!!!

God Wus, stop all this talk about cumming..

hahahhaha Mr_Man god damn, i haven't stopped laughing since i read your post "charming....." god so perfectly timed..

hahahahhaahhahahhahahahahaa
haheheahhahehahea
Keep it up fellas..

Btw... i think if you put a peltier on yer dick it might leave a nasty rash, don't they make one side hot and the other side cold? I think that's called... Hypothermia isn't it?

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

G

Anyway back on the point, a P4 will fry if you leave it on, without doubt, and a TBird will also fry... But a CPU doens't NEED to have thermal protection since almost every motherboard has it anyway, it just depends on how good it is..

Hey guess what i did the other day, the solder broke off my PC Speaker and i didn't have any solder around so i got an old speaker out of my old case (it was about 1cm across, never even realised it was a speaker) and plugged it into the A7V... I turned on the comp and this is what happened (including sound effects!) (bare with me here)

"Bzzzzzzzzz"
"Snap"
*puff of brown smoke*
*Audiophile jumps into the air and RIPS power cord out of the back of his comp*
*sits back and looks at what caused the smoke*
*sees the red and black cables melted to the bottom of his case*
*takes the old speaker connector off the motherboard pins and burns his fingers on the little bitch*
*screams in pain*
*ARGGHHHH"
*Throws chord and speaker as far as he can in the other direction*
*sits back down and continues on the way he was when he had no PC speaker*

Now what do ya think of that?

Why the hell did it fry?! i didn't realise they supplied different voltage to the PC speaker in motherboards... it says 5V on my old mobo and this A7V but for some reason this baby fried.. unless i had them back to front, could have had it Ground - 5V instead of 5V - Ground... eh... Who cares it was [-peep-] anyway... Case still stinks tho, i now got the smell of my burnt GeForce2 and the smell of melted plastic and fused together wires on the bottom of the case, quite disgusting really...

<b><font color=blue>Note to self: Never buy <i>anything</i> without checking with <font color=red>Tom</font color=red> first...

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thermal Protection is like buying any car. if the oil leaks out it will destroy the engine.

"smelling flowers is like throwing sones" AHAAHAH

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s