[SOLVED] AMD Threadripper 1950X system freezing while gaming.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
My system keeps freezing while playing games, when playing games such as Assetto Corsa, Overwatch and Minion Masters, Games such as CS:GO and BeamNG.Drivce have never had this freezing issue. At a random point while playing (shorter or longer depending on the game) it will freeze, the screen will be stuck on the frame it froze at. The PC will need to be turned off and on again to get it functional.
I put this thread with the CPU posts as think it's the CPU causing the issue. I have noticed the CPU temperature fluctuating randomly and my CPU idle temps seems to be a lot higher than when I first built my system (6 months ago). I have noted my CPU sitting at around 50-55c when idle compared to around 40-42 from when the build was first built, could this just be from the summer heat? I have also noted my CPU spiking randomly from its idle temperature to 65-68c causing the fans to power up before it quickly reaches the idle temperature again. Once this starts happening it will continue till the machine is turned off.
Since upgrading the GPU with the Kraken G12 the temps of my GPU had dropped significantly and doesn't reach over 50c under full load.

My specs are as follows.
AMD Threadripper 1950x (watercooled via Enermax Liquidtech 320mm)
32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Memory
GTX 1080ti 11GB (watercooled via Kraken G12 + 140MM AIO, RAM heatsinks)
256GB Samsung M.2
120GB SSD
3TB HDD
1TB HDD
500GB SSD
Evga SuperNova 850W (with Both CPU power plugs in)

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
IMG_20190603_231125.jpg

buttabean2

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
ok so it looks like you're one bios behind the latest version. I would try the following below

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029957 make sure you label the firmware correctly and format the usb according to the instructions or it'll not recognize the usb drive

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X399-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/ is this your board? from the picture it looks similar. The current bios you have installed says the following "Using USB BIOS Flashback, please rename to "PX399A.CAP" after download; " might have to do that for the newest version but not positive. you'll know once you download it

Does the air coming out of the radiators seem hot or room temp? I know when my cpu is around 70+c, the heat coming off the radiator is substantial.

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
ok so it looks like you're one bios behind the latest version. I would try the following below

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029957 make sure you label the firmware correctly and format the usb according to the instructions or it'll not recognize the usb drive

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X399-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/ is this your board? from the picture it looks similar. The current bios you have installed says the following "Using USB BIOS Flashback, please rename to "PX399A.CAP" after download; " might have to do that for the newest version but not positive. you'll know once you download it

Does the air coming out of the radiators seem hot or room temp? I know when my cpu is around 70+c, the heat coming off the radiator is substantial.

I will try updating the BIOS via USB tomorrow.

From what I can tell the air coming from the radiator is only slightly hotter than the air coming out the exhaust of the GPU radiator. I have a temperature probe gun thing somewhere, I will try and find that as well.

buttabean2

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
So maybe jnupes was right and the temp offset is causing false alerts.

Is the air you're testing under load or idle. Right now I can't tell unless my temp goes to 65+. check a game or something intense and see how it feels. Good luck!

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
I'll check the thread out tomorrow but looks like the slurry of things you have tried today has already helped the system run better. Even if we can't get a BIOS update (I check online if people knew what the change log was for the newest BIOS and most people are saying it was probably an update for the upcoming CPUs, but I can't confirm that).

I hope that the temp is just the offset. And maybe the things you already did caused the system to right itself with that understanding.

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
Back from work and felt the air coming from the radiator at '60c' on the CPU and the air is about the same temperature as my idling GPU which is at 32c so I believe 100% that the issue is that it is displaying the wrong temperature. I will update the BIOS soon and see if that does anything to improve it. I really appreciate all your help and suggestions, I am pretty useless with software related issues so this is a big help.

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
UPDATE & CONCLUSION: temperature for the idle has slowly been creeping higher, hitting 65-70c on idle / BIOS. I took off the old cooler and put on the small Noctua cooler and the idle is down to 34c.

In short it seems the cooler on my pump failed / was on the way out, hence why as the thread went on the idle temps were slowly creeping up.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate your feedback and suggestions!