Question AMD Threadripper code 76 check cpu.

Nov 8, 2020
Hey guys, woke up this morning to a pc that wont boot. Have had this trouble off and on since I built this (not even a year ago) but it's always booted eventually. Now, I noticed the error reader on the mobo. I'm getting a code 76 check cpu error. I thought it was the gpu prior to seeing this. However, I have now reseated and re applied thermo paste twice and cant get passed this error and cant boot. I'm pulling my hair out due to the price of this machine... I've included a video of what I'm seeing in Hope's this helps.

View: https://youtu.be/RimdGKlhJ6c

Build list:

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming ATX sTRX4 Motherboard

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3960X 3.8 GHz 24-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (6 x 16 GB)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card

Main Drive: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)To reset the bios, did you:
-Power down the PC
-Switch off/unplug the psu
-Remove the coin battery in the mobo
-Press and hold the power button on the chassis for 15 seconds
-Put everything back as it was

B)In the first 15 seconds of the video, it was highlighting a ram error. That's an odd configuration you have there; you've essentially mixed ram - even though they 'look the same'.
Try 1 stick in the slot deemed A1 by the mobo? [Refer to the manual.]

C)Cpu error: Possible overtightening of the cpu cooler, thus bending some cpu pins?

That's my 2 cents.

Nov 8, 2020
A)To reset the bios, did you:
-Power down the PC
-Switch off/unplug the psu
-Remove the coin battery in the mobo
-Press and hold the power button on the chassis for 15 seconds
-Put everything back as it was

B)In the first 15 seconds of the video, it was highlighting a ram error. That's an odd configuration you have there; you've essentially mixed ram - even though they 'look the same'.
Try 1 stick in the slot deemed A1 by the mobo? [Refer to the manual.]

C)Cpu error: Possible overtightening of the cpu cooler, thus bending some cpu pins?

That's my 2 cents.

I'll give all that a shot. The thing with the cpu is weird because the way these threadippers go in isnt like it used to be, it just locks in by a lever and you get a gool with it that only let's you tighten it so much.. but I'm gonna try to reseat everything today and see what happens. I checked the cpu but there arent any pins on it. The pins are in the mobo it looks like..

Also, what do you mean the ram is different? I bought all the same sticks. The placement was as described in my manual.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BJXFw6

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vxL2q4

They look the same, have the same rated frequency, voltage, and primary timings, but the former hasn't been tested and certified to work correctly in that manner; there are no guarantees.
They could be from different batches from the factory, or have different secondary timings - which is extensive. You become the 'beta tester' for that config.

With the latter, the testing and certification has been done already, so if there's a problem with that kit - there's a lifetime warranty on it, so you can use that.

That's why I brought up trying a single stick to see if it would boot from that - or produce a different error.

Nov 8, 2020
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BJXFw6

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vxL2q4

They look the same, have the same rated frequency, voltage, and primary timings, but the former hasn't been tested and certified to work correctly in that manner; there are no guarantees.
They could be from different batches from the factory, or have different secondary timings - which is extensive. You become the 'beta tester' for that config.

With the latter, the testing and certification has been done already, so if there's a problem with that kit - there's a lifetime warranty on it, so you can use that.

That's why I brought up trying a single stick to see if it would boot from that - or produce a different error.

So I tried your suggestions. Took the whole thing apart, inspected pins (didnt look like any were bent) made sure everything was to spec, pulled all ram except 1 A1 stick. Still ran through the same ram codes, landed on cpu and got the same code 76 check CPU code. I wish pcs has something other than check engine lights these days. I do t know if it's the processor (please god no) or the motherboard at this point.

Jan 23, 2021
I am having a different issue but it might be related. In my case, my computer was working fine and last 6th Jan started resetting in a loop without POST. I had been doing all kinds of troubleshooting since then and the mobo manufacturer (msi) agteed in the rma. I replaced the motherboard and issue remained the same. I also placed every single DIMM of my 8 units into all possible slot combinations, reseated the CPu, cooler, removed SSDs or any other non necessary hardware, all connectors from mobo, even replaced psu and I still get the boot loop without POST. I guess it is the CPU but there is no much troubleshooting to do here. Mine is a threadripper 3960x. If I find the fix I will let you know and if you come to know yours please post the solution. BTW, if you guess how to get decent support from AMD let me know. They didn't reply to any of my service requests. Thanks