[SOLVED] AMD Threadripper Maybe?

Jan 29, 2020
Hey guys just getting ideas to build my new system. I stay pretty up to date on GPU (Nvidia), however, CPU I have not been following for years now.

I currently have an Intel i7 8700 3.2Ghz. The AMD Threadripper 3Gen is a bit out of my price range. I was thinking 1Gen or 2Gen Threadripper 12 core/24 threads. I mainly use my windows computer for gaming.

I am under the impression that Threadripper is great for rendering and Multi program processing. While the gaming Industry has not quite caught up with multi-core support it appears to be coming along with the newer games.

In the event that I decide to purchase a Threadripper in theory do you think that processor should be good for say the next 5-7 years for gaming?

I am assuming either one of those processor would be an improvement over my current processor?

Lastly, would it be better to stay with Intel or maybe AMD Rayzen 7 or 9?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and time. Nevertheless, while I know this question can have many different variables, it is much appreciated. ;)

Solution
In the short term then I would address issues like your case situation (assuming you dont have one of those proprietary motherboards), and hold off on a processor upgrade until next generation (at minimum) comes around.
  1. The gaming industry is making strides to improve multicore performance, but we arent to the point yet where threadripper is viable for gaming.
  2. Probably not, 5-7 years is pushing it, especially for a processor not aimed at gaming.
  3. Again, in game performance would likely not improve much, if at all.
  4. If you do gaming and/or light multicore workloads (video editing, streaming, etc), sticking with intel or R7/9 would be a far better choice.

Is there something your 8700 isnt doing now that you would like it to? Current gen would not be a huge step up in terms of performance.

Reactions: Daeion
Jan 29, 2020
I think it’s doing fine. 16 GB RAM. M.2 500SSD. I am running SLI GTX1070, I recently change my CPU stock air fan to a Corsair H60. The CPU temp went down about 20° C. The issue really is my tower (Alienware Aurora R7). Midsize tower but Very compact. Not good for airflow.

TR1 or TR2 are not worth it, especially for gaming, Ryzen 3000 is much faster than those.
If you are gaming, even Ryzen 3000 won't improve your FPS as your 8700 is on par with Ryzen 3000 for gaming.

I would wait for Ryzen 4000 as it will be an upgrade from your 8700.

Edit: If you are doing professional work like video/photo encoding and processing, compiling programs, coding or you need virtual machines for work, get a Ryzen 3900X or 3950X depending on your budget. Otherwise its a waste of time and money to upgrade now.

Reactions: Daeion