News AMD Threadripper Pro 5995WX and 5975WX Review: Sheer Threaded Dominance

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
It makes me so mad they stopped with the HEDT models. Now if you have ANY use case that needs more that 16x usable PCIe lanes, you jump substantially in price. I'm still contemplating a 1900x, but the tech is just so old at this point.

It makes me so mad they stopped with the HEDT models. Now if you have ANY use case that needs more that 16x usable PCIe lanes, you jump substantially in price. I'm still contemplating a 1900x, but the tech is just so old at this point.
How many PCIe lanes do you actually need? Ryzen 7000 is going to expose 24 lanes from the CPU plus whatever from the motherboard.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
How many PCIe lanes do you actually need? Ryzen 7000 is going to expose 24 lanes from the CPU plus whatever from the motherboard.

Personally, I need 24 usable. 16x for M.2 RAID, and 8x for a SATA RAID card. Any more would be nice, but I can use that. Heck, even a graphics card and a multiport 10Gbe/SFP+ isn't possible currently without involving chipset-plexed lanes.

Personally, I need 24 usable. 16x for M.2 RAID, and 8x for a SATA RAID card. Any more would be nice, but I can use that. Heck, even a graphics card and a multiport 10Gbe/SFP+ isn't possible currently without involving chipset-plexed lanes.
The X670E might be the way for you then. You will be limited to only 6x SATA, however, you can probably get a SATA card that runs on the PCIe bus instead.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-X670E-ACE/Specification

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013

bernardv

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
The first chart in the article - gaming performance - crucial for users of this CPU! And 5800x3d is not on the chart 🤣

Tom's Intel fanboys till death never disappoint.

The first chart in the article - gaming performance - crucial for users of this CPU! And 5800x3d is not on the chart 🤣

Tom's Intel fanboys till death never disappoint.
Directly from the article. "We're using our Windows 10 test suite for this round of testing, which does necessitate using our older game roster but allows us to compare to our historical results from the previous-gen 64-core 3995WX that we no longer have in the lab... The Threadripper Pro models aren't intended for gaming, but regardless, we couldn't resist the temptation to see how the chips fare when paired with a high-end GPU... That said, if a professional user decides to unwind with a few games at work, Threadripper Pro provides more than enough performance for a high-end gaming session. And then some." The only reason the games were in there is because this is their old Win 10 testing suite and that includes games. Plus to some professionals they might be interested to know if they can game on their machine as well. If you remember the 2990WX was not good at gaming so it was workstation only.