News AMD Throws Down Gauntlet to Nvidia with Instinct MI250 Benchmarks

Great. Now let's see AMD mining GPUs with higher hash performance than gaming GPUs so we can obtain market divergence.
I bet these will actually be very potent mining GPUs, but they're for datacenters -- the PCIe versions are coming later. With 3.2 TB/s of memory bandwidth and 128GB of HBM2e memory, these should probably do something in the vicinity of 300MH/s. 😲

May 21, 2021
I bet these will actually be very potent mining GPUs, but they're for datacenters -- the PCIe versions are coming later. With 3.2 TB/s of memory bandwidth and 128GB of HBM2e memory, these should probably do something in the vicinity of 300MH/s. 😲
I like this concept you described. Etherium likes MEM bandwidth so AMD would attract the majority of miners if they came out with a specific mining card with a mining specific warranty (also adding to regular graphics cards that if inspection of a normal non-mining graphics card determines that mining is the cause for the warranty service then it is denied (I know some gamers like to mine during idle so I won’t say that mining straight up voids your warranty even if a game caused the break)) and layout using hbm2e or even hbm3 when it’s ready, AMD could corner the market for mining while relieving supply of gaming oriented products. Plus nvidia’s mining specific product stack is laughably worse than just buying a 3000 series. Finally if the mining boom collapses, then the left over AMD mining cards could be rebranded for compute with minimal effort.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Don't care. Where are GPU cards for MSRP price?

These aren't GPU's. They are accelerators for data centers.
The consumer versions which use MC M will follow next year it seems.
MSRP price?
Yeah, good luck finding those GPU's from either AMD or NV. Why? Mainly because the auto industry gobbled up all of the chip production because its stuck on manufacturing outdated technology for car innards.

At any rate, I'd like to see gaming GPU's with MCM which have far superior compute capabilities and that professional software devs actually integrate support for USING AMD gpu's when it comes to accelerating professional workloads using something more modern like Metal.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
MSRP price?
Yeah, good luck finding those GPU's from either AMD or NV. Why? Mainly because the auto industry gobbled up all of the chip production because its stuck on manufacturing outdated technology for car innards.

At any rate, I'd like to see gaming GPU's with MCM which have far superior compute capabilities and that professional software devs actually integrate support for USING AMD gpu's when it comes to accelerating professional workloads using something more modern like Metal.

I uh... I got a 3080ti FTW3 Ultra for MSRP 2 weeks ago. Paid the same price for it as I did my 2080ti FTW3 Ultra at launch.

As for mining... I don't want AMD cornering the market because I'd like to be able to buy a GPU without having to hunt for one for months.

There is also a new crypto coming that loves LE cache and they are already talking about Ryzen shortages that will happen, especially the refresh with 3d stacked vcache.

Markup on GPU's even with the shortages wouldn't be anywhere near what they are if it weren't for miners. Miners are the ones paying scalper prices on ebay which keeps prices high. I'm going to benefit from that and end up breaking even and despite that I'm still sick of it.

People who will actually use hardware can't get it because 90% of it is going to miners. When I say use I mean actually use, not setup to mine and walk away.

Even if AMD made a mining card it doesn't matter. Every card made for mining is 1 less gpu available for someone to buy. Yeah they use chips that are defective for a certain sku but in basically every instance that chip would be fine for a mid or low end gpu... The largest market by far for gamers but also the sweet spot for miners.

Miners should be forced to use old ps3's that can still run Linux. Make a cluster and have at it.

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
MSRP price?

No DirectX or OpenGL anywhere on these cards.

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
I'm sure LAN gaming cafes, a thing of the past will come around again as they will buy several thousand dollar graphics cards and PCs for an hourly rate & a personal booth.

May 21, 2021
I uh... I got a 3080ti FTW3 Ultra for MSRP 2 weeks ago. Paid the same price for it as I did my 2080ti FTW3 Ultra at launch.

As for mining... I don't want AMD cornering the market because I'd like to be able to buy a GPU without having to hunt for one for months.

There is also a new crypto coming that loves LE cache and they are already talking about Ryzen shortages that will happen, especially the refresh with 3d stacked vcache.

Markup on GPU's even with the shortages wouldn't be anywhere near what they are if it weren't for miners. Miners are the ones paying scalper prices on ebay which keeps prices high. I'm going to benefit from that and end up breaking even and despite that I'm still sick of it.

People who will actually use hardware can't get it because 90% of it is going to miners. When I say use I mean actually use, not setup to mine and walk away.

Even if AMD made a mining card it doesn't matter. Every card made for mining is 1 less gpu available for someone to buy. Yeah they use chips that are defective for a certain sku but in basically every instance that chip would be fine for a mid or low end gpu... The largest market by far for gamers but also the sweet spot for miners.

Miners should be forced to use old ps3's that can still run Linux. Make a cluster and have at it.
But AMD mining cards would be CDNA2 based not RDNA2 so it actually wouldn’t affect graphics card availability, and also CDNA is on the 6nm process so also wouldn’t effect graphics card availability with RDNA being on 7nm

Reactions: ezst036

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017

I guess if you got one for MSRP that means the shortage is over.